Witnessed Shrinkflation Up Close Today

About 15 years ago when Dial was bought by the German conglomerate, they added a hollow curve and a deeply embossed logo.

I called their feedback line expressing my displeasure. The nice agent basically told me to pound sand because they claimed customers asked for it to hold the bar better.

Right.

Ummmm... they could have made it a bit larger in size so it was the same weight. Bet they didn't think of that.:D

30 packs of beer are great because you won't have to stop drinking in the afternoon to go to the store to reload! ;)

As I said, the longevity calculator mentioned in another thread was insulting when it gave you the highest choice of 8+ drinks per week.

When they designed that calculator, it would not occur to them that people could drink 7*30 = 210 drinks per week. It would blow their mind.

PS. By the way, people just send their wife to go get some more. Can't leave the sofa and the tube, you know?

As I said, the longevity calculator mentioned in another thread was insulting when it gave you the highest choice of 8+ drinks per week.

When they designed that calculator, it would not occur to them that people could drink 7*30 = 210 drinks per week. It would blow their mind.

PS. By the way, people just send their wife to go get some more. Can't leave the sofa and the tube, you know?

"Lite"beer makes all this possible!

Ragu spaghetti sauce (Was: 28 oz.; Now: 24 oz.)
Powerade (Was: 32 oz.; Now: 28 oz.)
StarKist tuna (Was: 6 oz.; Now: 5 oz.)
Anthony egg noodles (Was: 16 oz.; Now: 12 oz.)
Lay’s Potato Chips, party bag (Was: 15.25 oz.; Now: 13 oz.)

Scott toilet paper (Was: 115.2 sq. ft.; Now: 104.8 sq. ft.)
Nutella (Was: 14.1 oz.; Now: 12.3 oz.)
Haagen Dazs ice cream (Was: 16 oz.; Now: 14 oz.)
Puffs tissue (Was: 56 count; Now: 48 count)
Skippy peanut butter (Was: 18 oz.; Now 16.3 oz.)

Kirkland Signature paper towels (Was: 96.2 sq. ft.; Now: 85 sq. ft.)
Dawn dish soap, small (Was: 8 oz.; Now: 7 oz.)
Ivory dish soap (Was: 30 oz.; Now: 24 oz.)
Hillshire Farms Polska Kielbasa (Was: 16 oz.; Then: 15 oz.; Now: 14 oz.)
Nathan’s Hot Dogs, skinless: (Was: 16 count; Now: 14 count)

Country Crock margarine (Was: 48 oz.; Now: 45 oz.)
Keebler Club Crackers (Was: 13.7 oz.; Now: 12.5 oz.)
Breyer’s ice cream (Was: 64 oz.; Then: 56 oz.; Now: 48 oz.)
Charmin Ultra Strong toilet paper (Was 286 sheets; Now: 264 sheets)
Bounty 2-ply paper towels (Was: 138 half-sheets; Then: 128 half-sheets; Now: 110 half-sheets)

Hershey’s kisses, family size (Was: 18 oz.; Now: 16 oz.)
Canned vegetables (Was: 16 oz.; Now: 14.5 oz.)
Yogurt (Was: 8 oz.; Now: 6 oz.)
Mayonnaise (Was: 32 oz.; Now: 30 oz.)
Coffee (Was: 16 oz.; Then: 15 oz.; Then: 13 oz.; Now: 10 oz.)

Ragu spaghetti sauce (Was: 28 oz.; Now: 24 oz.)
Powerade (Was: 32 oz.; Now: 28 oz.)
StarKist tuna (Was: 6 oz.; Now: 5 oz.)
Anthony egg noodles (Was: 16 oz.; Now: 12 oz.)

Scott toilet paper (Was: 115.2 sq. ft.; Now: 104.8 sq. ft.)
Nutella (Was: 14.1 oz.; Now: 12.3 oz.)
Haagen Dazs ice cream (Was: 16 oz.; Now: 14 oz.)
Puffs tissue (Was: 56 count; Now: 48 count)
Skippy peanut butter (Was: 18 oz.; Now 16.3 oz.)

Kirkland Signature paper towels (Was: 96.2 sq. ft.; Now: 85 sq. ft.)
Dawn dish soap, small (Was: 8 oz.; Now: 7 oz.)
Ivory dish soap (Was: 30 oz.; Now: 24 oz.)
Hillshire Farms Polska Kielbasa (Was: 16 oz.; Then: 15 oz.; Now: 14 oz.)
Nathan’s Hot Dogs, skinless: (Was: 16 count; Now: 14 count)

Country Crock margarine (Was: 48 oz.; Now: 45 oz.)
Keebler Club Crackers (Was: 13.7 oz.; Now: 12.5 oz.)
Breyer’s ice cream (Was: 64 oz.; Then: 56 oz.; Now: 48 oz.)
Charmin Ultra Strong toilet paper (Was 286 sheets; Now: 264 sheets)
Bounty 2-ply paper towels (Was: 138 half-sheets; Then: 128 half-sheets; Now: 110 half-sheets)

Hershey’s kisses, family size (Was: 18 oz.; Now: 16 oz.)
Canned vegetables (Was: 16 oz.; Now: 14.5 oz.)
Yogurt (Was: 8 oz.; Now: 6 oz.)
Mayonnaise (Was: 32 oz.; Now: 30 oz.)
Coffee (Was: 16 oz.; Then: 15 oz.; Then: 13 oz.; Now: 10 oz.)

Dow Jones (Was 36953; Now 29889) Shrinkage to 81%
S&P (Was 4819; Now 3675) Shrinkage to 76%
Nasdaq (Was 16212: Now 10798) Shrinkage to 67%

Everything jibes. Beautiful.

Oh wait. I got it all wrong. The market is cheaper, not more expensive.

Lemme redo it.

DJ: Sales price of 81%
S&P: Sales price of 76%
Nasdaq: Sales price of 67%

Buy, buy, buy...

We use coffee beans and grind each morning. The brand we buy has smaller and larger bags. We buy big red ones normally. Recently found on sale and doing some comparisons found 22, 33, and 33 oz bags in our fridge.

After I shower I look at myself in the mirror and sadly see no signs of shrinkflation. If anything, just the opposite :(

"Lite"beer makes all this possible!

A guy I knew at work used to drink lite beer. He said it was so that he could drink more.

I guess I could have followed suit, instead of drinking beer with higher alcohol content. More liquid intake would help wash out my kidney stones.

Yet, this guy still got caught driving drunk, and the court stipulation was that he could only drive to/from work. So, he walked to/from the bar each evening.

I asked why he did not drink at home. Said he liked to watch people while drinking.

We have a Ritz Cracker tin. It contained four stacks of crackers. Bought a four pack of Ritz. They rattle around the old can, and you can tell the the crackers are smaller. I can't tell if there are fewer crackers in each stack. Saltines also look smaller.

This is one of my stars...that bag of Lays chips here in WM cost $4.52. The same size bag of Great Value (WM brand) chips is $2.32. No difference in quality.

When does Shrinkflation end?

When you buy a large box of cereal and it only fills one small bowl?

I mean really, how much smaller can a bag of coffee get to?

They are here already, and called "single serve" coffee packets or cups. People love them.

The other day I noticed a name brand of cottage cheese was showing 22 oz instead of the normal 24. They didn’t bother to change anything on the calories/servings section though, so it still said 6 servings at 1/2 cup per serving and the calories were not lower. So, two less ounces, but still the exact same number of calories in the full container. Don’t think so!

When they reach a bag too small to sell, and then introduce the Extra Large Party Pack for Massive Tailgate! Buy more and save! i.e. regular size candy bars now sell for $1. No one remembers the old price for same size.

Yes, that sorts of lumps the person who has one or two glasses of wine a day in with those who go through a bottle or more of an adult beverage every day of every week.

Was over at the grocery store in the morning.

Saw a loaf of bread for about $3.30. The saw a 1/2 loaf of bread for about $2.30. Oh there were also shrinkflationed hamburger buns too.

I guess this is like when folks can't afford a full tank of gas, so fill only 1/4 or 1/2 tank. Still costs the same. Or in the case of shrunken groceries, maybe costs even more.

https://www.weatherforddemocrat.com...cle_19ccd674-a674-56ab-83bd-86bcdcb4b5b2.html

I was just on a Princess cruise/landtour. Ordered a side of toast on the landtour and they charged $3.00 for one slice!

I think there’s about 20 slices per loaf so that’s $60 per loaf.

We need to start complaining about the negative environmental impact of these small packages.

Companies don't care about us squawking about getting less. They do care about being rightfully accused of adding unnecessary waste to our landfills. Small packages have more waste per product.

I was just on a Princess cruise/landtour. Ordered a side of toast on the landtour and they charged $3.00 for one slice!

I think there’s about 20 slices per loaf so that’s $60 per loaf.

You cannot compare the price of a slice of bread in a restaurant to what you can buy from the store.. A glass of ice tea at a diner typically costs $3.00 to $4.00 here. A bag of tea at home only costs 3 cents a bag. Restaurants need to pay rent and salary.

You cannot compare the price of a slice of bread in a restaurant to what you can buy from the store.. A glass of ice tea at a diner typically costs $3.00 to $4.00 here. A bag of tea at home only costs 3 cents a bag. Restaurants need to pay rent and salary.

Which is why I order tap water.

I believe in "sharing the wealth" and I usually order ice tea to help the businesses.

Indirectly, I try to help out the business by tipping generously. I always tip as if I had ordered a drink. YMMV

I believe in "sharing the wealth" and I usually order ice tea to help the businesses.

Indirectly, I try to help out the business by tipping generously. I always tip as if I had ordered a drink. YMMV

I do the same as Koolau. I just prefer water with my meal.

I think water preference started years ago when I travelled every week and was on a per diem for food.

That extra 75 cents could by me a beer at Happy Hour:dance:

And yes, it was a loong time ago (1978).

Back
Top Bottom