Witnessed Shrinkflation Up Close Today

I wonder if the local state government has the time to investigate this if you report it.

A sting operation to levy a big fine, followed with reporting by the local media will scare the cheating vendors.

Do we think that is widespread or simply a product line glitch. True, they should be checking weights, but if, like most products (even including drugs) only a small fraction of products are weighed. I certainly don't doubt some packages are off weight, but it seems unlikely this is intentional or typical. Having said that, I'm pretty trusting of such things - not necessarily in overall ethical behavior of companies (think: Shrinkflation, for instance.)

IOW - if you can shrink it, why would you miss label it?

Do we think that is widespread or simply a product line glitch. True, they should be checking weights, but if, like most products (even including drugs) only a small fraction of products are weighed. I certainly don't doubt some packages are off weight, but it seems unlikely this is intentional or typical. Having said that, I'm pretty trusting of such things - not necessarily in overall ethical behavior of companies (think: Shrinkflation, for instance.)

IOW - if you can shrink it, why would you miss label it?

I got that picture from the article. I think that one is a glitch from a local supermarket.

There are other examples in that article that are a bit more ominous.

I got that picture from the article. I think that one is a glitch from a local supermarket.

There are other examples in that article that are a bit more ominous.

DW has a scale for Weight Watchers. I'll start using it for, well, weight watching.:LOL:

The one that gets me is an item mark price per pound while a similar item right next to it is marked price per ounce. I'm looking at you Aldi.

Our local Korger owner market does the same thing. It makes me want to take my purchase to the register and tell them I want to pay using a combination of my credit card, my debit card and a jar of pennies.

Our local Korger owner market does the same thing. It makes me want to take my purchase to the register and tell them I want to pay using a combination of my credit card, my debit card and a jar of pennies.

Not good enough. You should also add a personal check to the mix. :LOL:

And also ask for cash back form the check amount.:cool:

I think you three are the ones I always end up behind in the check-out line!

Still not good enough. I always get stuck behind the lady with 57 coupons, three of which are expired (but guess which three?) in addition to all of the above.

Still not good enough. I always get stuck behind the lady with 57 coupons, three of which are expired (but guess which three?) in addition to all of the above.

What about the guy that wants cigs or booze that is locked up at the front of the store and the cashier has to go get the key and get it? In the express line?! :angel:

I did my own shrinkflation today. Pressed 32 ounces of hamburger into 10 patties that "look like" a quarter pound each Just thinner.

When does Shrinkflation end?

When you buy a large box of cereal and it only fills one small bowl?

I mean really, how much smaller can a bag of coffee get to?

They are called K-cups.

Cheers!

Now, I understand why people buy grocery items from Amazon.

Now, I understand why people buy grocery items from Amazon.

Yes, it can be a hassle at times.

The problem is Amazon is no longer the cheaper, competitive place it was years ago. I am sure my grocery bill would go up if I used Amazon exclusively.

And, I would miss the overstock and soon-to-expire- shelves loaded with good buys. The other week I got cans of baby corns for about 1/2 the regular price. And some of the baked goods are a great deal, though my weekly sugar quota forbids me from taking advantage of that very often.

Last edited:
So is this okay? Still 24 bottles but only 7oz each and not the usual 12oz. :)

[pic of Corona case of 7oz bottles removed]

Rolling Rock has had cases of 7oz bottles for decades. Called "pony bottles" for as long as I can remember.

Yes, it can be a hassle at times.

The problem is Amazon is no longer the cheaper, competitive place it was years ago. I am sure my grocery bill would go up if I used Amazon exclusively.

And, I would miss the overstock and soon-to-expire- shelves loaded with good buys. The other week I got cans of baby corns for about 1/2 the regular price. And some of the baked goods are a great deal, though my weekly sugar quota forbids me from taking advantage of that very often.

I have never bought groceries from Amazon. Or have it delivered by local vendors.

Regarding overstock sales, I once got tomato soup cans for 10c each at Fry's. Not overdated or anything, so perhaps just discontinued. At home, regretted that I did not buy more than 1 dozen cans. Once a frugal guy, always a frugal guy, heh heh heh...

Rolling Rock has had cases of 7oz bottles for decades. Called "pony bottles" for as long as I can remember.

Anyone remember "Little Kings?" Maybe only a midwest thing? They don't exist in the southeast, but the company is still producing.

Anyone remember "Little Kings?" Maybe only a midwest thing? They don't exist in the southeast, but the company is still producing.

There was, and is, a very good reason for those little bottles. In old time bars, the standard drink was "a shot and a beer" and that little 7 oz bottle of beer was perfect as a chaser for the shot. No need to consume a whole 12 oz beer that would make you feel bloated -- the smaller one would leave room for another!

There are still a lot of those bars (and those drinkers) today.

I dunno about 7-oz beer bottles.

In a recent trip, driving from Galveston back to Houston in a day trip, and fighting the terrible traffic all the way, I was so parched that at the restaurant that night, I ordered a beer, although I am not a daily beer drinker.

Pouring the beer into a glass (I tend to get a hiccup if I drink from a bottle), I knocked down the glass in 3 gulps. That hit the spot, but still left me wanting more. Told my wife maybe the bottle was small. She said, what are you talking about, it's 12 oz.

I said, OK, but it was not enough. The waitress brought a 2nd bottle. Same thing. I could have gone for a 3rd bottle, but decided to save room for the meal.

So, 7 oz? Why bother?

After golf today (yes, we are nuts to play goof at 102 F temps)..

Stopped at Cracker Barrel and the $5.99 Meatloaf special lunch is now $7.49! :facepalm:

"It's too good, too good, too good to be beer...Little Kings Cream Ale".:dance:

I went to college in Cincinnati- and now I know why a small store was called a "pony keg".

"
I went to college in Cincinnati- and now I know why a small store was called a "pony keg".

A pony key is a 1/4 barrel keg that is squat (same width as the regular 1/2 keg but roughly half the height). One can also find 1/4 keg' in "skinny" format, i.e. the same height as a 1/2 keg but smaller diameter. These are called "Slim Pony". Finally (in US sizes) there is the 1/6 keg, aka "Sixtel" or "Sixer", which a lot of craft beers are sold. Homebrewers also use soda-style kegs, known as corny-kegs.

Weight is a factor if one is hauling these up/down stairs by themselves. A full US keg (1/2 barrel) weighs 165# full. Ugh. 1/4 barrels (7.75 gallons) weigh 83# full, and a sixer 55#. All of these are approximate because the weight of a gallon of beer depends on the alcohol content (i.e. specific gravity value).

Yes, I've spent too much time around beer. (A lot of this is from brewing beer.)

After golf today (yes, we are nuts to play goof at 102 F temps)..

Stopped at Cracker Barrel and the $5.99 Meatloaf special lunch is now $7.49! :facepalm:

OH NO! That's 25% increase.

A TV reporter can make a 15-sec piece out of this for the evening news.

OH NO! That's 25% increase.

A TV reporter can make a 15-sec piece out of this for the evening news.

Last time I went to CB, it was packed. Apparently, rich people go there now. YMMV

I did a grocery store pick up and ordered a frozen pizza for the kids who are having a party at the river. The item was listed as out of stock and was replaced by one of the same brand, same price, but 2oz less in weight.

Back
Top Bottom