Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2022, 08:44 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Beer crisis looming at the John Galt estate. Running low on good craft beer and nothing currently on sale. At next beer run may have to check out the 30-packs of macrobrew, like Genesee and Hamm's. Last time I looked, it was $13.29 for Genny and $14.xx for Hamm's. Will score the Genesee, if prices haven't changed.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2022, 08:55 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Beer crisis looming at the John Galt estate. Running low on good craft beer and nothing currently on sale. At next beer run may have to check out the 30-packs of macrobrew, like Genesee and Hamm's. Last time I looked, it was $13.29 for Genny and $14.xx for Hamm's. Will score the Genesee, if prices haven't changed.

I got a 24 pack of Stella at Costco a few weeks ago. It was the only thing I could find that was not much over $1 a can/bottle ($1.07). I had been getting a Session 12 pack for $11. It's now $14. Too far over $1 a bottle. And that's for an 11 oz can. No go.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:02 PM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I got a 24 pack of Stella at Costco a few weeks ago. It was the only thing I could find that was not much over $1 a can/bottle ($1.07). I had been getting a Session 12 pack for $11. It's now $14. Too far over $1 a bottle. And that's for an 11 oz can. No go.
I can handle $6/gallon gas but this is just unacceptable.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:27 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

^^^ If you don't accept it, you can just go thirsty.

And all these price increases happen at the same time Bengen, the father of the 4% WR rule, says the WR should be lower.

Aye, aye, aye...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:01 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
^^^ If you don't accept it, you can just go thirsty.

And all these price increases happen at the same time Bengen, the father of the 4% WR rule, says the WR should be lower.

Aye, aye, aye...
They say this every time the market dives. I've kept mine a hair under 3.5% in the 8 years I've been retired and I'm not changing anything.

The reason for the shrunken Sprite and other products is that they wanted to provide a smaller size so the macros in a can (sugar, caffeine, calories) wouldn't look as awful. And yes, packaging is an additional cost. Look at what they charge for 16-oz bottles vs. a half-liter bottle. I just can't bring myself to buy half-liters because I don't go through one before it loses its fizz and don't want to consume more than I do (maybe 8 oz. a day).
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:48 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
I don’t drink beer at home, so Im fine. But was looking at picking up a box of mini-Sprite from Costco .. 30 mini-cans for $12.99. Then, to my surprise, beside it, I saw the regular-sized Sprite can .. 35 cans for $12.54. The Shrunk Sprite was more expensive, so I picked the bigger Sprite cans - I got 5 cans more + saved .45 cents
Mini-cans are available in the Islands, but aren't popular with most people. Every can - no matter the size - costs $0.06 over the regular price and only $0.05 is available upon return to an official recycling location. One can insist that cans be counted, but the recycler prefers to go by weight, so mini-cans return much less than 12 oz or 16 oz cans. I too have noticed that mini's seem to cost more (each) than regular cans. Never understood that, but the little cans do look cute, I guess. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:37 AM   #147

Quote:
I saw Stella at the beer store yesterday. It was $32 for a case of 11.2 ounce bottles. I bought a 30-pack of Genesee Ice cans for $13.49. The Hamm's 30-pack was $14.69, I think. The discount shelf had nothing but those Shandy things, or mango/chocolate/raspberry ale nonsense, which I have to be paid to drink, lol.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 03:37 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

We would buy a foot long at the local Smiths for 4.99. Very full of turkey, cheese and a moderate amount of good greens. A really good deal. Then they started having smaller ones probably about 9- 10” at the most for the same price mixed in with the foot longs. We went in the other day and stopped by the case they were in. They had only the smaller ones and they were priced at $7.49. Well our days of eating those sandwiches are done!
djsander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 07:56 PM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsander View Post
...They had only the smaller ones and they were priced at $7.49. Well our days of eating those sandwiches are done!
This reminds me of the last recession, when Subway was running their five-dollar foot-long promotion. They seemed to figure out early that people needed to feel they were getting a good value. I think this saw them through the rough times when so many other businesses went under.

I think we're already seeing people take a stand like you did. They're refusing to buy these blatantly overpriced or undersized products. It just hasn't filtered back up to the MBA's in the Home Office.

The businesses which survive will be the one which go against the grain, and as Subway did back then, offer the customer a good value.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:27 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

The best way to fight back on the cutbacks is to not buy them.

I stopped buying Mounds candy bars (not that I eat much candy) because the bars have become so thin. IMO, they are hardly worth the effort to chew them. I found a great recipe for chocolate covered pecan-coconut goodies. Less sugar, more nuts, coconut and chocolate.

Old 06-29-2022, 06:17 AM   #151

Quote:
The best way to fight back on the cutbacks is to not buy them.
I totally agree. There are lots of things I just refuse to buy any more.

But you and I can't do it alone. Businesses do these things because they can get away with it. Most people just don't care enough to compare prices and quantities, or even read the label.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Witnessed Shrinkflation Up Close Today
Old 06-29-2022, 06:46 AM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

Witnessed Shrinkflation Up Close Today

Quote:

The best deal at our Costco is a 24 pack of Sapporo (12 oz cans) for $20. They also have Warsteiner for a bit more.
Phroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:42 AM   #153
Recycles dryer sheets

Blue Bell ice cream has “Still 1/2 gallon” on their ice cream. They’ve had it on their for a long time since the ice cream makers made the half gallons less than that. At least you can still get a half gallon of ice cream from someone and it’s good ice cream.
djsander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:02 AM   #154
Give me a forum ...

What I've seen at our Costco is that they simply stop selling many brands that they have sold for years. I'm only assuming they refuse to take smaller packages of the same thing. I do miss some of these items, but if that is the reason they're no longer selling them, I heartily agree with it. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:14 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phroig View Post
The best deal at our Costco is a 24 pack of Sapporo (12 oz cans) for $20. They also have Warsteiner for a bit more.
Prices will vary at Costco especially considering the different state tax rates on alcohol. I don't recall seeing Sapporo at my local Costco, but I will look harder the next time.

FWIW, I have not had Hamm's beer in decades, but if this inflation persists I may give the cheaper non-craft beers a try to see if any are worth drinking. Even the Stella was a bit of a gamble for me. I recall it being good, but not a great beer. I sure do wish the price of the Session beer would come down. Great stuff even if it's only an 11 oz can.

Old 06-30-2022, 04:35 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I totally agree. There are lots of things I just refuse to buy any more.

But you and I can't do it alone. Businesses do these things because they can get away with it. Most people just don't care enough to compare prices and quantities, or even read the label.
+1 But this isn't anything new. This kind of behavior applies to most things and not just things that we buy.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 11:52 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

I just saw a piece on one of the cable news programs showing how some restaurants are now using smaller wine glasses for individual servings of wine. With the mark up on alcoholic beverages, you'd think shrinkflation would hit by-the-glass wine sales last. I guess I would be wrong on that but YMMV.

Old 06-30-2022, 12:09 PM   #158

Went to Kroger for a sale on half boneless ribeye yesterday ($6.99/lb, about as good as you can get now) and was going to pick up some sliced cheese. The '8 slices' listed had magically gone from 8oz to 6oz at a higher sale price than before.

Moved on to Aldi, still the same there for same money.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:52 PM   #159

Went to my favourite fish place for some Great Lake whitefish and one 'piece' which used to be one fillet is now one half of a fillet! Still as delicious as ever.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:42 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Looks like we all are going to lose weight.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote