Witnessed Shrinkflation Up Close Today

I agree. I have a severe pea/bean allergy hat impacts me with any foods containing pea and plant protein. So I have to stick to fish/chicken/evil red meats for my protein :).
You're not missing anything. Tried some chickpea based "bread" and protein powder. Both were disgusting.

Yet, I love hummus. It is just the idea of turning this food into something it should not be.

Yet, I love hummus. It is just the idea of turning this food into something it should not be.

+1

I tried some gluten free brownie mix. It used almond flour. Just awful. I would rather eat one very small regular brownie than an entire pan of these low-carb gluten free disasters.

Last edited:
+1

I tried some gluten free brownie mix. It used almond flour. Just awful. I would rather eat one very small regular brownie than an entire pan of these low-carb gluten free disasters.

Yeah, even though I'm fine with some of the pasta alternatives, there are times when I'd rather have a small amount of the Real Stuff. I don't go for "Beyond Meat" and its ilk, or tofu tarted up to look and taste like stuff it isn't- turkey, for example.

I make my version of a mean chili carne with a small portion of ground beef. I make about 7 servings that I freeze to have once a week. Luv it. About a year ago, I bought 10 lb bag of black beans so I also make black bean soup. My wife doesn't like beans so they're are all mine, ha ha ha ha, all mine!

Our favorite Chinese take out reduced the diameter of their take out container by 1/2"

You're not missing anything. Tried some chickpea based "bread" and protein powder. Both were disgusting.

+1
I make hummus all the time. Sometimes plain, other times with sundried tomatoes or with oil cured olives. It's a great snack.
Also use chickpeas in salads. Good source of protein, fiber, and complex carbs.

Cheers!

+1
I make hummus all the time. Sometimes plain, other times with sundried tomatoes or with oil cured olives. It's a great snack.
Also use chickpeas in salads. Good source of protein, fiber, and complex carbs.

Cheers!

I make waffles using chickpea flour. They are actually quite good. But, you do have to beat the egg whites to get a lighter waffle. I know people like to skip that step, but with the chickpea flour you pay a price. I top the waffles with my own berry topping to minimize the sugar I add. Well..... sometimes I put real maple syrup on 1/2 a waffle. :D

I bought some "broccoli crowns" yesterday at what seemed like a good price per piece- but as I was cutting them up I realized how much of it was long, thick, fibrous stem- in fact, at the bottom there was a hollow part in the stem. I always use the stems anyway but there was a lot I had to peel away because it was just too fibrous to chew.

Ummm... aren't broccoli crowns supposed to be the tops with most of the stems cut off? And I see from the weekly e-mail that they're now selling them as a "special", priced by the pound.

Deceptive definition of the product.

I got my usual couple of trays of California rolls at the local Ralph’s market.

I was pleased to see the price hasn’t changed, but not so pleased that the soy sauce packet was missing from each tray.

Another Oreo issue. We sometimes buy specialty Oreos. We got the ones with popping candy in the cream. The pack was 4.99 and when opened the three slots were not full. Wife thinks it was two missing per slot. Counted the number of cookies and it was 24 total. The package serving size and total came to 24. Wife said it’s easier to change the printer than the packaging. So now six less cookies and about a dollar more per package. Will the insanity ever end!

Another Oreo issue. We sometimes buy specialty Oreos. We got the ones with popping candy in the cream. The pack was 4.99 and when opened the three slots were not full. Wife thinks it was two missing per slot. Counted the number of cookies and it was 24 total. The package serving size and total came to 24. Wife said it’s easier to change the printer than the packaging. So now six less cookies and about a dollar more per package. Will the insanity ever end!

That kind of behavior on the part of Nabisco would cause me to stop buying Oreos. You can live without them! (Full disclosure: I love Oreos.) YMMV

Bought 12 oz of bacon which was in the same package as the 16 oz package, but cost the same as the 16 oz package, which is not sold anymore for this brand.

Bought 12 oz of bacon which was in the same package as the 16 oz package, but cost the same as the 16 oz package, which is not sold anymore for this brand.

I can see it now. They take a magic marker and cross out the 16 oz, and hand-wright 12 oz.:facepalm: (You stick your head in the "back room" and there is a crew pulling out 4 oz of bacon from each 16 oz package!):LOL:

Not exactly "shrinkflation", but the viscosity on our laundry detergent is definitely lower than it was before inflation started up, so definitely modifying their formulas towards lower cost ingredients.

Not exactly "shrinkflation", but the viscosity on our laundry detergent is definitely lower than it was before inflation started up, so definitely modifying their formulas towards lower cost ingredients.

Don't you know that's what they mean when they say "NEW AND IMPROVED" ?

That's shrinkflation, absolutely.

Sounds like they just watered it down.

Anybody notice that Costco TP is not as thick and soft as it was?
This last pack that we bought sure seems different!

Anybody notice that Costco TP is not as thick and soft as it was?
This last pack that we bought sure seems different!

Heh, heh, no. Not yet. I'm rotating my stock and still using the old stuff first. Thanks for the heads up. I will say, that, vs. Charmin, Costco has always been noticeably LESS soft.

DW always takes the Charmin and puts it in the bathroom she uses most. I dutifully put the Costco in "my" bathroom. We all have to make sacrifices.:LOL: Looks like it's gonna get worse when my old stocks run out.:(

FWIW, I just made a batch of brownies using a recent recipe from the WSJ.
Absolutely wonderful! I had enough for a dozen healthy servings. They are very rich, chocolaty and flavorful. I would make them again, but they used my sugar ration for the month.

Cost is a fraction of the what Oreos and other big name cookies cost. But, I do admit they don't have any crackling popping bits in them. Just chunks of 70% chocolate. :dance:

FWIW, I just made a batch of brownies using a recent recipe from the WSJ.
Absolutely wonderful! I had enough for a dozen healthy servings. They are very rich, chocolaty and flavorful. I would make them again, but they used my sugar ration for the month.

Cost is a fraction of the what Oreos and other big name cookies cost. But, I do admit they don't have any crackling popping bits in them. Just chunks of 70% chocolate. :dance:

The Oreos are a special treat for us. Usually 4th of July, Halloween, Christmas and a few other times. DW made lemon bars the other day which were quick and inexpensive and very good. She’ll be doing some cookie baking as well. I can almost taste the chocolate chips:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom