Witnessed Shrinkflation Up Close Today

I bought a bag of Kroger chips that were much less expensive than the name brands. When I open the bag it wasn't even half full! Shrink inflation involves more than packaged sized. Will need to check cost per ounce going forward. Good thing is I need less chips health wise, but I want to decide how much less!

I bought a bag of Kroger chips that were much less expensive than the name brands. When I open the bag it wasn't even half full! Shrink inflation involves more than packaged sized. Will need to check cost per ounce going forward. Good thing is I need less chips health wise, but I want to decide how much less!

I rarely get chips, but just had to have some last week. Tried Utz since they were 1/2 the price of Frito-Lay (same size).

I liked them better!

This inflation definitely will drive people to change habits. Reminds me a bit of the early 80s inflation when "generic" came into being. Today's private brands (and small brands) are so much better than that barnyard feed they tried to push on us 2 generations ago.

Last edited:
Double stuffed Oreos filling is the amount of what used to be in the regular Oreos. The regulars are a small smear of cream.

Double stuffed Oreos filling is the amount of what used to be in the regular Oreos. The regulars are a small smear of cream.

Heh, heh, DW always scrapes most of her Oreo "stuff" off and adds it to my Oreo. I don't "need" the extra stuff, but I'm saddened to hear the Double Stuff Oreos have joined the sad ranks of Shrinkflation. Say it isn't so!

It's for our health.

Will see if Americans lose weigh in the days ahead.

I'm 6'6" and weigh 178 pounds so I don't want to lose weight. I am also low income so I may not have a choice. I went to the store a couple weeks ago and left with nothing. Prices were crazy so I left. ordered a 24 pack of Chef Boyardee from Amazon. That is my dinner for the next few weeks.

I'm 6'6" and weigh 178 pounds so I don't want to lose weight. I am also low income so I may not have a choice. I went to the store a couple weeks ago and left with nothing. Prices were crazy so I left. ordered a 24 pack of Chef Boyardee from Amazon. That is my dinner for the next few weeks.

Things like dried beans, lentils, peas, and unprocessed rice/grains in bulk are still relatively cheap on a per meal basis. If you don't have one, invest in a crock pot or insta-pot to make prep easy.

Things like ground turkey (e.g. Shady Brook Farms 85% Lean) is $2.98 for 1.3 pounds at Walmart. A 5 # bag of potatoes is $2.87 and 3# onions $3.48. Add in a couple 12 oz Walmart frozen peas and carrots (@ $0.84 each), and a $0.98 can of Walmart (Great Value) diced tomatoes (28 oz.) along with some Mrs. Dash (when you sauté the ground turkey) and you have a BUNCH of soup to eat/freeze. Total cost is about $9.00 for 4-5 meals AND you will have a bunch of left over potatoes and onions to use for other things.

My point? There are ways to have good tasting, relatively nutritious, high protein, reasonably low (as you want) carbs at low costs.

I make bunches of soups in the winter time, the above is a really quick and easy and tastes surprisingly good. Also cream of potato/onion/bacon, lentil, split pea, etc. etc.

You should keep the 24 pack of Chef Boyardee as backup for (if/when) there is no food available in the stores (i.e. as part of an emergency backup plan), and eat one once in a while (easier to do if you have kids as they think that **** is a treat).

I suspect the next move will be to decrease the cookie diameter a little bit.:facepalm:

Uhhhh, cough, cough, I'm about 95% sure they already have, especially in the convenience store packs.

I'm looking for gas stations to begin selling in liters...

But that smaller amount would be perfect when people start getting around on bikes with an added-on gas engine, like the following photo.

Before you say, but there are ebikes now, let me remind you that ebikes have range limitations, and adding a gas engine to an ebike makes yours a hybrid bike with extended range. Think about that. Interstate travel!

And when you engage both the electric motor and the gas engine, watch out Teslas.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:

Where I am, food prices have gone up, but nothing alarming. And many items have not gone up in prices at all.

A quick scan of Fry's weekly ads shows:

* chicken drumsticks/thighs/split breasts at 99c/lb
* T-bone steak $5.27/lb
* Extra large shrimp 21/25, $5.97/lb
* peaches, nectarines, 87c/lb
* Grey squash, 99c/lb
* Cucumber, 50c/each

etc...

Ads from Safeway and Basha's show similar prices.

I guess this part of the country has access to more food sources somehow.

Things like dried beans, lentils, peas, and unprocessed rice/grains in bulk are still relatively cheap on a per meal basis. If you don't have one, invest in a crock pot or insta-pot to make prep easy.

Things like ground turkey (e.g. Shady Brook Farms 85% Lean) is $2.98 for 1.3 pounds at Walmart. A 5 # bag of potatoes is $2.87 and 3# onions $3.48. Add in a couple 12 oz Walmart frozen peas and carrots (@ $0.84 each), and a $0.98 can of Walmart (Great Value) diced tomatoes (28 oz.) along with some Mrs. Dash (when you sauté the ground turkey) and you have a BUNCH of soup to eat/freeze. Total cost is about $9.00 for 4-5 meals AND you will have a bunch of left over potatoes and onions to use for other things.

My point? There are ways to have good tasting, relatively nutritious, high protein, reasonably low (as you want) carbs at low costs.

I make bunches of soups in the winter time, the above is a really quick and easy and tastes surprisingly good. Also cream of potato/onion/bacon, lentil, split pea, etc. etc.

You should keep the 24 pack of Chef Boyardee as backup for (if/when) there is no food available in the stores (i.e. as part of an emergency backup plan), and eat one once in a while (easier to do if you have kids as they think that **** is a treat).

My wife is very good at making use of whatever she can get. I cook too, but am not as resourceful as she is.

But that smaller amount would be perfect when people start getting around on bikes with an added-on gas engine, like the following photo.

Before you say, but there are ebikes now, let me remind you that ebikes have range limitations, and adding a gas engine to an ebike makes yours a hybrid bike with extended range. Think about that. Interstate travel!

And when you engage both the electric motor and the gas engine, watch out Teslas.

s-l500.jpg

That looks like something from 100+ years ago. :D

Bars of hand soap are shrinking. I opened a box and its size looked like what bars of soap looked like years ago after I had been using them for 2 or 3 weeks.

Hamburger rolls are shrinking, although my store usually has a choice among several different packages by weight - as little as 12 ounces and as much as 16 ounces (which used to be the standard weight of 8 rolls). Those 16-ouncers are tough to find these days, and the smaller ones can't hold the burgers I put on them.

We have started pressing our own burgers at 3 ounces each.
Four ounces seems like a bit much lately.
Smaller buns would be fine here.

I like Coronas in the summertime!

And that's a marketing ploy for "ladies beers"

We have started pressing our own burgers at 3 ounces each.
Four ounces seems like a bit much lately.
Smaller buns would be fine here.
I did that last time, too - another way to cut back. I had been making them 4 oz. And I don't use buns, just a single piece of bread cut in half. It doesn't have to be a perfect fit to the burger.

That looks like something from 100+ years ago. :D

I built one of those and they do work. But the vibration will shake anything loose off the bike. Like carb, muffler, fenders, kickstand, and air filter.

Yeah, kinda fun, but that's what made me switch to ebikes.

Bars of hand soap are shrinking. I opened a box and its size looked like what bars of soap looked like years ago after I had been using them for 2 or 3 weeks.
About 15 years ago when Dial was bought by the German conglomerate, they added a hollow curve and a deeply embossed logo.

I called their feedback line expressing my displeasure. The nice agent basically told me to pound sand because they claimed customers asked for it to hold the bar better.

Right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom