Woo-Hoo!!!

I'm waiting til January to rebalannce. I do "calculate" (via a spreadsheet) my AA after each quarter and at the end of September, the allocation was within my target AA.

I'm still down a bunch ... 17% ... so W2R can you scream out an 11,000 (or 14k would be even better :flowers:) ty

I'm still within my equities "band" of 55-65% (I don't like to rebalance often). Currently at 62%. Last time I rebalanced was in early 2007 and that certainly helped with the subsequent debacle - we'll see this time. I've learned painfully that my ability to predict market moves is zilch point zilch. My "feelings" seem to mirror whatever media I happened to have looked at last so I've learned to ignore them and stick to my rebalancing only when outside the "band" strategy.

I'm still down a bunch ... 17% ... so W2R can you scream out an 11,000 (or 14k would be even better :flowers:) ty

OK, I'm reserving the fabled "WHEEEE!!!" for such an event... :) I will be in 7th heaven if we get to either of those values.

Yep. This is exactly the reason I can't work up much enthusiasm for trimming some equity gains.

Me too. Where would I invest the darn money? Vanguard's money market is pathetic - CDs in there are pathetic - maybe a bond fund?
But what a NICE PROBLEM to have!
Thanks, W2R, for reminding us to celebrate!
:dance:

OK, I'm reserving the fabled "WHEEEE!!!" for such an event... :) I will be in 7th heaven if we get to either of those values.
Me too ... and I promise to reset my AA. If for no other reason then to avoid another tongue lashing ... :blush:

As for taking money off the table, there have been people that mentioned that at 7500, and 9000 as well.
I am going to treat this the same way I did on the way down.
Keep investing according to my AA with the goal of being able to live solely off my dividends (much closer now than I was when we hit Dow 10000 on the downslope).

Anyone going to take money off the table now? Seem to remember discussions about getting out of the markets when the Dow hit 10,000 again.
I think I need to see S&P around 1150 or so before I rebalance again. We sure got close to 1100 today!

Audrey

P.S. I just knew there was going to be a wheee! post today!

I am cautiously optimistic in the short term. A couple of days ago I set sells on several individual stocks in my Schwab account when/if they reach a share price that is acceptable to me. None of them sold today. On one, I would make a huge profit, on 4 others I would break even if they reach the share price that I set.

I'm taking everything out and finishing the bomb shelter I've been building.

Doin' the happy dance!

:dance::dance::dance:

Now, time to go count my money and dream about future FIRE!

I rebalanced back to 60/40 today. Earlier this year, I went as high as 90/10 (equities/bonds) -- did not catch the exact bottom but moved more to equities as the market dropped and today made it back very close to my all time high. Having a pension allowed me to do this without losing a lot of sleep, doubt I would have done it otherwise.

Hey - if we beat the Giant's and Mr Market takes a 30% tumble, I'll still be happy.

As long the Norwegian widow gets her 3% SEC yield what's a little market fluctuation among friends - right?

16 yrs of ER - I'd like to see the Saint's get all the way into the big show - I've seen these minor market up's and downs before.

heh heh heh - Balanced index full auto plus a few stocks on the side - for the hormones you know. :rolleyes: :greetings10:.

I just checked - back within 1% or so of 2007 peak - after taking out my retirement money and paying taxes.

False courage:confused: :whistle:.

Ran into my neighbor today, the one who said she can't retire until the DOW gets back over 10,000. Dang :D, I missed the opportunity to ask her if today is her retirement day. Instead she advised me to put a hot wet salty towel on my neck to get the kink out of it. Didn't work yet.

Anyone here waiting for this day to retire?

:dance:

I had been buying until I got to 60% equity a few months ago. The AA is now 71% equities, and I have not sold a thing. If I were still working and did not have to keep so many years of living expenses in liquid forms, I would have bought more.

Bragging rights: my total stock positions went up near 2% at market close. Same with the total of my MFs. Both beat the S&P. There's nothing as good as high-beta stocks in a rising market. I am not selling yet.

I wish I could say I have reclaimed my personal Oct 07 high like Unclemick did. As RV is my current interest, the difference from where I am now to that past high-water mark is about the cost of an [-]spanking[/-] new class A diesel pusher (typical mid-range, not a Prevost!). Not that the frugal me would want to buy a new RV like that, but it would be nice to know if I could just write a check. :(

I like to count my money (in a spreadsheet) a lot more than sinking it into assets that become liabilities, like "stuff" that I already own.

NW-Scrooge-Bound

Nice! Wonderful! Glorious! :LOL:

I have a few year end consolidation of mutual funds moves planned, but I'm going to wait a bit...patience...patience...;)

Hey - if we beat the Giant's and Mr Market takes a 30% tumble, I'll still be happy.

As long the Norwegian widow gets her 3% SEC yield what's a little market fluctuation among friends - right?

16 yrs of ER - I'd like to see the Saint's get all the way into the big show - I've seen these minor market up's and downs before.

heh heh heh - Balanced index full auto plus a few stocks on the side - for the hormones you know. :rolleyes: :greetings10:.

I just checked - back within 1% or so of 2007 peak - after taking out my retirement money and paying taxes.

False courage:confused: :whistle:.

Unless you loaded up like Lakedog did, I don't see how that's possible if you just sat on everything. The DOW is still down 28.5% from it's all time high. But hey, what ever you did I'm happy for you.:)

Unless you loaded up like Lakedog did, I don't see how that's possible if you just sat on everything. The DOW is still down 28.5% from it's all time high. But hey, what ever you did I'm happy for you.:)

I am thinking that his "testosterone" picks in 2008 might have done pretty well. But who knows? Between the pension, SS, and dividends maybe he had more money to invest.

My portfolio has recovered and more, but then I am still in accumulation phase. Plus, I have not been spending dividends at all. The fund values are still lower than they were. But overall, I have exceeded the retirement day portfolio value that I projected for myself back in July, 2008. That is a huge relief to know, on the brink of retirement.

... I'm going to wait a bit...patience...patience...;)

Patience? Patience?

Weren't you logged in when I screamed BUY, BUY, BUY for nearly a year? :confused:

OK, OK! It was more like a whimpy Buy, buy, buy :blush:, but I did whisper so. Records of past post do not lie...

Patience? Patience?

Weren't you logged in when I screamed BUY, BUY, BUY for nearly a year? :confused:

OK, OK! It was more like a whimpy Buy, buy, buy :blush:, but I did whisper so. Records of past post do not lie...
Oh, never fear, I've been BUYING. Not a lot at once, but I've been DCAing to equities to beat the band. I am smiling ! :D
The "Patience" part for me is to wait a little bit longer to exchange some much older holdings (mutual funds) whose expense ratio (0.65% worst case) needs to go away. :greetings10:

I've been considering moving a lot of my equities into the G fund (bonds). I guess I should see how much $ I think I'll need and see if its possible to save that much in the G fund between now and retirement.

Yesterday, I beat the S&P500 that went up 1.75%. Today, the S&P closed up 0.42%, while I am up a mere $10 for the entire portfolio. :mad: My material and energy stock gains exactly cancel out my nerdy (tech) stock losses.

Oh well...

Yesterday, I beat the S&P500 that went up 1.75%. Today, the S&P closed up 0.42%, while I am up a mere $10 for the entire portfolio. :mad: My material and energy stock gains exactly cancel out my nerdy (tech) stock losses.

Oh well...

Porky bellies my friend. Lets keep that between us. ;)

Back
Top Bottom