Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-30-2014, 04:41 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I have oak floors throughout the house, but I used ceramic tile for the kitchen. While polyurethaned floors may resist the occasional slopped water, if your dishwasher fails and floods the floor, it will ruin any real wood.
Bingo, or water line malfunction to ice maker, etc.......
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The variety of flooring options anymore is incredible. I saw a recent Property Brothers show and they installed vinyl wood flooring in kitchen. And it certainly fooled all the visitors on the Open House. Many of them commented on the "beautiful wood flooring" in the kitchen that they were walking on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:02 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

We put wood floors in about 18 months ago through our first floor and love them; the old floors of carpet in dining room and living room, commercial vinyl in kitchen, ceramic tile in powder room, and hardwood in family room addition really broke up the flow in our small old house (not to mention the awkward gold-toned threshholds between the surfaces!). They have a polyurethane finish and are very easy to care for. Hardwood floors are pretty much the standard where we live in the Midwest.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Our house has hardwood everywhere except the kitchens & bath. We put in the wood looking vinyl planks & they looked good for 2 years. Then all of a sudden they started to separate by the seams in some places. However, you could fix them which my hubby did but it involved removing the pieces all the way to the baseboard & relaying. We love how they look & hold up to water but would not have chosen them if we knew that would happen. Tile is too cold & if you drop anything it breaks.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

We have bamboo in our kitchen. No problems at all. We tiled out entry but live in snow country so have a lot of snow in that area.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a wood nut, and plan on replacing almost 2000 sf of carpet and tile with hardwood soon. I put solid hardwood only in our MBR closet a couple of years ago for a test and it has a little bit of shrink/swell due to temp and humidity changes. I think I'm going with engineered when I do the rest of the house.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I put engineered wood in the kitchen. Under the fridge, it is beginning to delam at the edge of 1 plank. I should have used solid wood I guess. We did put a cork floor in the master bath. I love it. Bare cork was glued to the floor and then sanded and poly'd. it is warm to bare feet, naturally mildew resistant, etc. Cork flooring has stood the test of time in many commercial buildings. Not good for sliding refrigerators about though.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

We will be doing a replacement of the engineered (laminated veneer over cheaper plywood) wood in our foyer next week, because the original veneer has been sanded once and is too thin to do it again.

We will be using engineered again, because it expands/contracts less with humidity/temperature changes from summer to winter. The cost for solid was virtually identical, but the installer recommended engineered because of our high humidity in summer and we don't use the A/C very much.

We will be buying engineered with a thicker top veneer than before, should be able to refinish twice, maybe even three times. Which would have us at well over 100 years old by then.

We are also using pre-finished, allegedly the factory coatings are somewhat tougher than can be applied on-site, though the on-site finish can be repaired more easily.

Ask me in a couple of weeks how it turned out...
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
A lot has to do with climate. Idnar7's profile say Minnesota, where it some might say it gets a bit chilly much of the year. Going barefoot on a tile on a hot day in the south is refreshing, but tile floors are just too cold for me in those long cold winters.
+1

That's why we replaced the tile in the kitchen with hardwood a couple of years ago. Much warmer in the winter and fine in the summer too. The tile was COLD.

So far the wood has held up well. DW does clean it often, but then she did that with the tile too.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I have always said I'd never install wood in the kitchen, entry, or bath. Well, we just changed that rule, and installed wood in the kitchen of this house, because of how it connects with the other rooms. We thought the wood throughout those spaces looked the best. We went with ash, with a "timeworn" finish. This way, "damage" is already done, and so minor damage will just add to the patina The medium and inconsistent color should also help to hide damage, we hope (time will tell, we've only had this a few weeks). We have extra wood that we kept, in case of more significant damage in the future. Newer, factory applied finishes may hold up better than floors in the past. Some of these have 16 coats! That's better than anything you could apply at home.

We have large dogs, and I'm a messy gardener, so our entrances are where we see the most damage to flooring. I'm a messy cook, too, but I think the floor with the factory finish will hold up OK there, since the dogs don't trample it as much, and since I have anti-fatigue mats on the floor, which also serve to catch grease splatters. We tiled all areas with doors from the outside, as well as the bathrooms. We heated the bath floor, so it's not so cold.

There are a number of wood floors that have 25 - 50 year warranties (dog damage not covered), so it just depends on the price point and what's available in your area. If we didn't have large, active dogs, we probably would have gone with cork in those areas (full thickness, glue down).
chris66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Part of my objection to wood in the kitchen, bath, etc is aesthetic--it looks "wrong" and out of place >to me<. That just comes from years of knowing about and participating in the never-ending battle between water and wood (guess which wins!). Maybe the new woods/wood like products will be great and never cause a problem in a kitchen, but >to me< it doesn't look like it belongs there.
But I get the same heeby-jeebies when I see white carpet. It doesn't "look good" to me because I immediately think about what a PITA it will be, and I wouldn't be comfortable having it in my house. Or a bathroom in shag carpet ("But I can just shampoo it if it gets dirty"! If?! Trust me--it's "dirty" right now.)
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Oh the wood/water thing reminded me...we had a freezer failure about five years ago and the entire contents of the ice maker drained out onto the floor.
The floors buckled up in the wet area, but interestingly, after a week or so (we are pretty lazy about repairs) the floor dried and settled back into place with no visible signs that it had been buckled. Weird, but glad that our laziness paid off.
We lost a lot of cups and plates to the tile floor in our last kitchen. Wood is more forgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

We like to live dangerously as we recently installed engineered walnut everywhere including kitchen, guest bathroom, and laundry room.

check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:39 AM   #34

We just moved from a home with tile on the floor in the kitchen to one with wood on the floor in the kitchen. While rugs even the playing field a bit, we do appreciate the wood underfoot. The wood floor (engineered oak) is about ten years old and has been used hard. It cleaned up nicely, and while it shows the wear it is still preferable to the tile. (Heck, the tile we left behind showed a little wear, and with tile the wear is much more noticeable than with the wood.)
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:41 AM   #35
gone traveling

Did bamboo floors in a bathroom. Work great. Bamboo doesn't mind getting wet either.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:51 AM   #36
gone traveling

Old house had tile in kitchen and walkways, carpet in family room and bedrooms, and engineered hardwood in living and dining rooms. New house has real hardwood in most locations, except for laundry room, bedrooms, game room and 3 of the 4 bathrooms. Since our house is built on a slab, we find the hardwood to be much more comfortable in cold weather, easy to care for and better looking.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #37
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have Mannington Icore ii floors and love them. No the aren't hardwood. But they also don't have any wood in them so they are impervious to water damage. They can chip if something sharp and heavy is dropped on them but they are very difficult to scratch. I've had them 3 years. Two 60lb dogs, zero scratches, and look like new. Just don't go as dark as I did, cuz they look dirty all the time!
tnbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

We have the same issue... we went with a caramelized stranded bamboo and love the floor but it is much darker than what we had before which was a natural maple color and its shows just about every little piece of lint or whatever. We're quite happy with the floors but would go with a much lighter color if we ever have to replace them.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Wood isn't the best choice for kitchens as others have noted. But against my better judgement DW decided we put solid clear 3/4" maple in our kitchen last year because we don't have kids or high traffic in our kitchen. No spills, but a few dents/dings when we've dropped something.

If you go with wood, I'd go with something relatively hard and higher quality. Cheap or softer woods could get beat up pretty fast in a kitchen. And you're going to have to be way more careful with wood in the kitchen no matter what you choose. Best of luck...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #40

I love wood, and recently saw beautiful floors that my doctor installed in her office. They looked like hardwood and I asked about them. She said that they were actually ceramic tile. I reached down and touched them and they were! Every time I visit her office, I have to touch the floor again. They look so much like wood, it's hard to believe.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote