Worldwide Salaries Comparison

LG4NB, OK, I don't see anything in what you say that I disagree with, but I guess I'm having trouble seeing where it leads...

I see our society (and ourselves as a part of that) as a kind of Ying-Yang balance between the sharing and hoarding you mention. Now my explanation will move from supply/demand to natural selection and evolution. As a developed society, on average we each share enough to assure our society survives, and we hoard enough to make sure we survive as individuals. It is in the DNA that we inherited.

It's a balance, I suspect that most of the ills in this world are due to slight variations in how each of us deal with that balance point.

I think you are saying that you would like to see us be a more sharing society? Maybe so. Would there be negative consequences? Maybe.

One example I can think of, is if pharmaceutical companies were not 'greedy' enough, they wouldn't be able to hoard the resources needed to invest millions to make a new and important drug. There's a downside of course, those companies make several competing versions of similar drugs because that's where the money is, rather than making different drugs to help more people. It's far from perfect, but I'm not convinced alternates would be better, but they might.

If I think about 'sharing' societies, it brings to mind the 'hippie' communes of the 60's. Are any of those still around? Maybe the Amish come close to this way of life?

Or maybe I typed a bunch of nonsense because I didn't understand your comments :confused:

-ERD50

LG4NB, OK, I don't see anything in what you say that I disagree with, but I guess I'm having trouble seeing where it leads...

asking the purpose of life might not lead anywhere either; but not asking more likely leads nowhere yet with more certainty.

I see our society (and ourselves as a part of that) as a kind of Ying-Yang balance between the sharing and hoarding you mention. Now my explanation will move from supply/demand to natural selection and evolution. As a developed society, on average we each share enough to assure our society survives, and we hoard enough to make sure we survive as individuals. It is in the DNA that we inherited.

well said.

I think you are saying that you would like to see us be a more sharing society? Maybe so. Would there be negative consequences? Maybe.

sorry, but i am not here to change the world; that must be someone else's karma-making. i just stopped in for a drink, a few laughs and maybe to discuss an observation or two.

One example I can think of, is if pharmaceutical companies were not 'greedy' enough, they wouldn't be able to hoard the resources needed to invest millions to make a new and important drug.

this is where you fall back into that mirror. though there might be positive aspects to negative motivation, it still does not justify the negative. it doesn't mean that those same positive results could not be as well produced from positive motivation given a society of values which would foster that, just because those positive results might also occur under less favorable circumstance. good to have positive results but even better not to have negative causes and to still have those same positive results. even with today's highways, four lefts still don't make one right, just because they get you where you wanted to be.

If I think about 'sharing' societies, it brings to mind the 'hippie' communes of the 60's. Are any of those still around? Maybe the Amish come close to this way of life?

Or maybe I typed a bunch of nonsense because I didn't understand your comments :confused:

though there still exist communes and kibbutzs and now there is also WWOOF - Around the World. that the movement was generally less successful than communism in cuba does not necessarily speak to its weakness but rather to the strength of capitalism. but hegemony is not proof positive of a superior way of living and might only provide questionable evidence that might makes right.

as to the amish, it strikes me as a lifestyle a bit extreme and i'm certain i would not be welcomed there. i have always admired them but i have never been able to find an amish gay bar.

it would be only belligerence, of which you showed none, which would have been nonsensical. exploring ideas and coming to understanding never is.

no but that would be my style. had you been my forth grade classmate you might have debated me on the infinite & why space is our final frontier, complete with bulletin board, table display and my model of the then pending apollo moon mission.quote]

I would bet you and I agree on almost nothing but I do enjoy your posts! God bless America!

Back
Top Bottom