Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Worst luck with used cars - advice please
Old 02-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Worst luck with used cars - advice please

Well, it turns out our ‘08 LX570 which we had hoped would be our forever car will be requiring a new transmission per Lexus dealer. New replacement transmission is quoted at $11K.

We bought the vehicle for $26.5K. We are the 3rd owner. Vehicle has only 92K miles. I have $9.3K left to payoff the car note.

We have 3 options:

1. Sell the vehicle at a major loss and disclose the transmission issues for buyer to fix
2. Go to an independent mechanic and rebuild the transmission for ~ $3.5K and sell vehicle at a lesser loss value.
3. Fix transmission and continue to keep vehicle.

Car experts and mechanics, how would you proceed?

Thanks!
airforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2021, 12:25 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

None of the above.

Find a low mileage used transmission on car-part.com with a 6 month warranty and have an independent mechanic install it.

Transmissions for that vehicle are available with about 40,000 miles for about $1800 and an independent mechanic should be able to install it for around $1200.

Then consider selling the vehicle soon since they are known for having transmission issues.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:34 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

More reason why I never buy a used vehicle. Sure, I drive bare bone corolla's. Yep, they're not a luxury vehicle or as comfortable as a lot of other cars, but they rarely break.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:38 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
More reason why I never buy a used vehicle. Sure, I drive bare bone corolla's. Yep, they're not a luxury vehicle or as comfortable as a lot of other cars, but they rarely break.
But ... that Corolla you're driving is a used vehicle.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:51 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
But ... that Corolla you're driving is a used vehicle.
Yeah, but he knows the whole history of that car.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 12:53 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
None of the above.

Find a low mileage used transmission on car-part.com with a 6 month warranty and have an independent mechanic install it.

Transmissions for that vehicle are available with about 40,000 miles for about $1800 and an independent mechanic should be able to install it for around $1200.

Then consider selling the vehicle soon since they are known for having transmission issues.

Thanks will do some searching
airforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Yes, but he doesn't know its future. The post implies that purchased used cars are somehow riskier than a used car already owned. I don't think (from a lifetime of experience) that is the general case.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:11 PM   #8

Some salvage yards will not only sell you a used transmission but may also do transmission swaps in house. About 6 years ago I had gotten a quote to provide and install a used engine for ~$800. You might want to check out a yard near you.

I would also recommend checking a local transmission shop for an estimate. They would know transmissions better than independent mechanics and possibly even the parts-swapping dealers. Perhaps they can simply repair what's wrong with yours economically. Worth a shot.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:12 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Depends... If I was going to keep the vehicle, I'd probably go with a new/rebuilt one with a multi year warranty from a reputable transmission shop.... If I just wanted to fix it to sell, I'd go with a small mechanic shop for a quick fix or even a used trans install.. Should be able to get a 30 day warranty even with that... Personally I'd do it myself but that's not a answer for most folks... In all cases, I'd stay away from the stealerships.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Exactly. I know how it was treated. I know that the oil was changed religiously when it was supposed to since I do it myself. I know that when there was some sort of issue, it was fixed immediately (all minor, parts are cheap.) Im currently driving a 2008 corolla with 207k miles, yeah, not a lot of miles for a corolla, but it still runs like the day I bought it. Appearance wise, it definitely doesnt look like that. Still get 35mpg, I check every year or so, still hasnt dripped a drop of oil. Its impressive. I dont care what anyone says. The car is insanely reliable.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
Exactly. I know how it was treated. I know that the oil was changed religiously when it was supposed to since I do it myself. I know that when there was some sort of issue, it was fixed immediately (all minor, parts are cheap.) Im currently driving a 2008 corolla with 207k miles, yeah, not a lot of miles for a corolla, but it still runs like the day I bought it. Appearance wise, it definitely doesnt look like that. Still get 35mpg, I check every year or so, still hasnt dripped a drop of oil. Its impressive. I dont care what anyone says. The car is insanely reliable.
I think the history and maintenance argument is overrated. Especially late model cars can be ignored for years before they will be mechanically compromised. I always buy used cars and rarely have issues that are related to abuse and/or lack of maintenance. They are always model-specific.

OP: If it is a model specific issue then choose #2. I would vote wholeheartedly to RX350. I owned an RX330. It was awesome and reliable.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforce1 View Post
Well, it turns out our ‘08 LX570 which we had hoped would be our forever car will be requiring a new transmission per Lexus dealer. New replacement transmission is quoted at $11K.
I get at least one phone call a day wanting me to buy an extended warranty. Don't you? Please, please, please, buy an extended warranty next time you get one, and STICK IT TO THEM!!!

latexman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Yes, but he doesn't know its future. The post implies that purchased used cars are somehow riskier than a used car already owned. I don't think (from a lifetime of experience) that is the general case.
Purchasing a used car is much riskier than owning a used car from new. Of course you don't know the future, but you can know the past. For some reason, someone DUMPED that used car, and right quick if it's at a dealer and not private party. Bird in the hand vs bush applies. I'd stick to buying new and running 'em long than I would buying used more frequently. Just the shear volume of cars buying used vs new and owning long term suggests there's less risk of getting screwed.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:25 PM   #14

You've had issues with the Lexus for a while:

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ll-100110.html

Sell it, take the loss, reduce the headache. I'd just take it to a Carmax and get a quote. There is no "disclose" you give them the car and they inspect and give you a price.

Then go buy something quite a bit newer. A 12 year old car would be lacking in security and safety features and expensive to maintain. There is no real forever with cars. If you want one that's gonna last 10 years+ you don't want to start with an old one.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:25 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll point out the obvious that we all have a lifetime of experience, and I disagree with you. I've rarely gotten rid of a car unless I felt it had reliability issues. Maybe nothing happened to those cars after I got rid of them, but I know I felt better. And I can't think of a problem with a car that I've kept longer than I might normally keep one, except a hard to find A/C link with a Honda Pilot.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Why did dealer suggest transmission replacement?
Is it slipping or did you get a check engine light?

Imho, I'd never bring a 12 year old car to a dealership unless its for warranty work. They charge to much and repair things that aren't broken.
Mykle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Don't take your 12 year old car to a dealership for work. Ask your friends/neighbors for a recommendation for a local shop. It will save you a ton of money.

I have much else to say, but I will keep that to myself.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Don't take your 12 year old car to a dealership for work. Ask your friends/neighbors for a recommendation for a local shop. It will save you a ton of money.

I have much else to say, but I will keep that to myself.
Yes. I have a local trusted mechanic that I have been using for close to 30 years. We have bought many new cars over the past 36 years of marriage. I only go to the dealer when new and/or under warranty. Never after that.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
None of the above.

+1, this is truly your best option. My friend and I decided to buy some totaled cars from the insurance auction and found a huge world of great used parts. For the A3 etron we bought, I got a used front right axle, lower control arm and a used like new headlight. We had about 15k into it with auction/delievery and parts and it is worth 25K in utility. Just saying there is no reason to buy new when the market is so good for used parts off of totaled vehicles with low miles.
Happyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:10 PM   #20

I agree with the suggestions to look into other options. Whether it’s best to fix the transmission or replace it with a used or rebuilt transmission depends primarily on pricing but also, as you point out, how long you intend to keep the car. If you’re happy with the car, I’d look for someone to repair the existing transmission unless price is prohibitive. Then I’d look for a rebuilt with a warranty. Getting a used transmission only makes sense, to me, if you’re just going to fix it in order to sell it. Just my opinion. Good luck.