Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

By the end of 2021, my non real estate asset should be 863k.
teetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2020, 07:49 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Red 29 View Post
Want to continue to learn more / refine my understanding of retirement finances.

Want to get my wife more interested / involved in the finances (so she could carry on in my absence).

Good luck with that. I gave up on getting DW interested in anything financial. Fortunately, if I check out first DS or DD can easily guide her, pretty good wiggle room.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:28 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue531 View Post
I like to write down my goals and find I'm more likely to attain them when I do. Has anyone set theirs for next year? If so, care to share?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
You first.
Yes, anyone notice that the OP has not participated in this thread? And this isn't the only thread like that?
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:33 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I pretty much stick to the same simple plan, year in and year out.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:11 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Yes, anyone notice that the OP has not participated in this thread? And this isn't the only thread like that?
Blue531 is the OP and NEVER participates after that OP on anything they start.
Pretty strange. Troll? Baiting the hook for some other purpose? Using responses in their blog?

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:36 AM   #46

1. Max 401k contributions before 31 Mar (planned retirement date). This requires some serious withholding to get the 19,500 + 6,500 all out before 31 Mar. I debated whether to put anything into my 401k just to pull it back out via Roth conversions later, but it will go in @ 33% and come out @ 12%, so that is worth it.

2. Retire on 31 Mar

3. Stay within planned spend.

4. Enjoy the ride.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:59 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Red 29 View Post
Want to get my wife more interested / involved in the finances (so she could carry on in my absence).
LOL, I brought this up last night then it did not go very well
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #48
gone traveling

Sequence of returns risks manifested itself via C-19virus & its now waning unknowns.

Funny couple posts above mine attempting to be pragmatic financially with spouses.
Good luck & Best wishes.....
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:25 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
2. Retire on 31 Mar.

That will be my eight year retirement anniversary!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hopefully my portfolio can get to $4M, so that I can no longer have an excuse to no retire.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:59 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Recounted by John Bogle:
At a party given by a billionaire on Shelter Island, the late Kurt Vonnegut informs his pal, the author Joseph Heller, that their host, a hedge fund manager, had made more money in a single day than Heller had earned from his wildly popular novel "Catch 22" over its whole history. Heller responds, “Yes, but I have something he will never have . . . Enough.”
IMO, "enough" is not a number. It is an attitude. Our goal, as always, is to continue to have enough.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:03 PM   #52

1. W$rk through my 55th birthday in January (yeah, Rule of 55).
2. Max out 401(k) contributions for the first 4-8 weeks of 2021.
3. RE before the end of February.
4. Have investments make more than my budgeted spend in 2021 (>4.9% return). This is more of a hope than a goal.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:38 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

1. Front-load my 403b in first six months.
2. 7K to Roth IRA early in year.
3. Finalize financial planning for . . .
4. RE in the fall.
5. Enjoy years of planning and FI.
KrisQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:39 PM   #54

Make money in the market
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:19 AM   #55
gone traveling

Healthy, wealthy and wise. And keep living below the radar.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:33 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Travel safely around the state (Big Bend then South Padre planned during January).

Keep DH as healthy as possible- the oncologist as reduced his maintenance meds (yay) to just every quarter and he has more energy. I'm the head cook and personal trainer, so... he works for food- literally! lol

Continue Roth conversions, and I really appreciated Rick Moberg's Conversion guide- so timely. I'm trying to scoot over every dime to reduce future taxes (once there is only one of us left). I was late starting that- I did it this year for the first time. Right now, our taxes are nothing b/c we are essentially living off of DH early SS & accumulated bridge cash. Once I start SS (prob at 67- 2027- or 2030 if it's not needed), taxes will increase a lot for us.

Increase charity giving. I don't have the time (and it's not safe unless virtual) to volunteer much now.

Be happy.

Just some funny things... We had to do PDPs (personal development plans) where I retired from, and we ALL hated them. They were so stupid- esp. for people late in their career who like me did NOT want to move up anymore, but continued to be a cash cow.

I just had to make stuff up sometimes and so did my manager who also had one foot out the door. I told him years before I retired that I just wanted to continue as a worker bee and glide on out of town when the time was right. When I expressed no interest in taking a job in the UK 2 years after that, I knew my days were numbered (good manager long gone by then). Not too long after, the person I turned down was my new boss. Exit stage left!

My older brother- still working- does a PowerPoint presentation every year that he makes his family sit through. While I admire it, I don't do it. All of that goal setting?! pish posh!!!
Old 11-13-2020, 12:02 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Ending 2021 portfolio total $ = Beginning 2021 portfolio total $ * 1.04
Same here. Down from 1.06 this year and 1.07 previously. Somewhat dependent on what happens in the next 6 weeks.

Also trying to increase WR from 2% to 3% (made harder by Covid lockdown).
Old 11-13-2020, 12:14 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue531 View Post
I like to write down my goals and find I'm more likely to attain them when I do. Has anyone set theirs for next year? If so, care to share?
I have never had a financial goal. A goal would mean something that is mostly under your control, such as being able to save so much money, or to spend less. Even when I was working, I saved what I could, and my savings were what they were. No goal there even.

Now, I do have a plan, but where that leads, who knows? My ultimate investment return depends on the finicky market, and who knows what it will do.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:11 PM   #59

Goal is to spend some money.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Stay within my spending budget.
Increase my income slightly (I live entirely off of dividends/interest).

If I do the above I keep my withdrawal rate below 2% which I am very happy with.

My net worth goes up and down with the stock market and I cant control that. I can control my spending and my income though so I put my focus there.
53anddone is offline   Reply With Quote