Join Early Retirement Today

Would you file for unemployment?
Old 03-10-2021, 07:54 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I negotiated an amicable departure from megacorp. My last day is this Friday. My position is being eliminated. I got a great severance package.

The way my separation letter is worded, I am not receiving severance, so I can file for unemployment. With the latest COVID bill, I would receive $904 a week for 26 weeks. That's a lot of money and would be helpful.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2021, 08:02 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I negotiated an amicable departure from megacorp. My last day is this Friday. My position is being eliminated. I got a great severance package.

The way my separation letter is worded, I am not receiving severance, so I can file for unemployment. With the latest COVID bill, I would receive $904 a week for 26 weeks. That's a lot of money and would be helpful.

Your position is being eliminated - even if you receive severance, you may be eligible for unemployment. ("may be" because that varies by state.)

You need to understand your job search requirements (if any, again varies by state) and make reasonable job search efforts if that is a requirement. I would let information from your state unemployment office be the guide - if you can comply with the requirements, then heck yes get the benefit.

For reference, my position was eliminated, I received a severance, and also received unemployment in California. The unemployment started after a mandatory two week waiting period, and there was a job search requirement.

But my inquiring mind wants to know - how did you simultaneously receive and not receive severance?
dak2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:21 PM   #3

Are you planning to look for another job or are you retiring? When I left my last job it was an elimination of my position so I went ahead and applied for unemployment. I looked casually to see if anything else interested me but I think I knew that I was pretty much done. But I saw no reason not to collect unemployment since my position was eliminated.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:22 PM   #4

I struggled with this a little bit when I was "downsized" by my megacorp 4+ years ago. Being let go a month before I was going to retire anyway (and was given a very nice package). I didn't want to game the system when I knew I wasn't really going to be "looking for work". When I learned from a friend who was a CFO at a fairly big company that if/when someone files for unemployment in my state, the company that terminated them was sent a "bill" to cover at least a good part of the costs, I had no problem filing for unemployment knowing that an unethical company that I had zero affinity for might get a bill, I had no problems filing. I used the money to fund a really nice first year retirement travel budget.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:40 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't remember what my separation letter said. I had no plans to look for another job and never even looked into taking unemployment. Maybe I was foolish but it seemed right to me for my situation.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:41 PM   #6

as long as you can comply with the job search requirements and somehow not get an offer to refuse, go for it.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak2018 View Post
But my inquiring mind wants to know - how did you simultaneously receive and not receive severance?
The separation letter calls it "consideration". I talked to an employment lawyer and they said that would not be considered severance in OH.

The biggest part of the package is vesting RSU's and options.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:15 PM   #8

If you can ethically and legally meet all the requirements on your state's website, then do it.

There is at least one person you have to make sure is ok with it, and that person is easy to find...look in the mirror and you'll see them everyday. If that person looks at you and agrees you've not done anything underhanded, then you're good to go.

Another test is...."would you be ashamed if the news showed up in your local paper?"
Old 03-10-2021, 10:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I would not. Never have and it just seems wrong when you have severance.
Montecfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:55 PM   #10

It's not gaming the system if you meet the requirements to collect unemployment by your states rules.

You may think you don't need the money, morally are not entitled to it, or shouldn't take it because you were going to retire anyway. However, we don't know what will happen down the road. Maybe things don't work out the way you intended and you really do need the money down the road. Well, at that point you can't turn time back and collect what you were once entitled to.

Unemployment rules in many states have been relaxed and expanded due to the pandemic. As an employee, you have been paying in to your states unemployment fund for as long as you've been working. Further, the additional amount being kicked in by the federal government is a cost being borne by all taxpayers, you included.

Bottom line, apply for it, and accept what you are legally entitled to. There's no shame or anything to feel ashamed about, it's simply a step in the system which you have been participating in and are entitled to claim benefits from at this time. Have you been receiving the stimulus payments thus far? It's no different in my mind. Most folks on this site really do/did not "need" them. Did anyone refuse to accept theirs? Highly doubtful.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:06 AM   #11

OP, are you prepared to go to work for one of your required job contacts, if they tender an offer? How does that work?
In my state, you have to turn in your contacts and also answer if you turn down a job offer.
I work in a full referral union and only have to call the hall, but every time I filed for unemployment, I was actually wanting to be working.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:30 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I would file for the unemployment. It is just another example of one is entitled to do so and it is legal, why not take advantage of what there is to offer.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:37 AM   #13

File for unemployment, be open and honest, and leave it up to the local unemployment jurisdiction with their process and procedures.

If one does not throw the rock into the mango tree, one does not get mango!
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:17 AM   #14

My state does not allow it as you have to wait for severance to end. It also requires that I submit proof of actively seeking new employment every single week. So, lie once and every week... not for me.

Check your state requirements. There are not many where it's as simple as file, get checks, profit. I think in most all states you have to show some good faith of attempting to regain employment.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:23 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I am with the take it if you meet the requirements camp. Lots of people who don't need it will get stimulus checks, you will get unemployment. If you feel it is undeserved, give it to someone or some organization that truly needs it.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:31 AM   #16

I never have, because I have some strange complex that if I can get by without it, I shouldn't take it, as other people need it more. The first time I qualified I was young and poor, but had no kids and was living a very LBYM lifestyle. The second time was recently, when we had plenty of reserves. So I probably would not, and you asked what we would do, but there's no reason for you not to if you're eligible and you're so inclined. One person's decision isn't going to make or break the state UI budget.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:39 AM   #17

If you quit your job, not for cause, you aren't eligible for unemployment benefits. You have to prove you had cause to quit your job, and that you are looking for another. It could be considered fraud if you collect unemployment. It's also stealing from your fellow taxpayers. Don't do it.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:42 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
If you quit your job, not for cause, you aren't eligible for unemployment benefits. You have to prove you had cause to quit your job, and that you are looking for another. It could be considered fraud if you collect unemployment. It's also stealing from your fellow taxpayers. Don't do it.
OP said "My position is being eliminated." He didn't quit and isn't cheating.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
My state does not allow it as you have to wait for severance to end. It also requires that I submit proof of actively seeking new employment every single week. So, lie once and every week... not for me.

Check your state requirements. There are not many where it's as simple as file, get checks, profit. I think in most all states you have to show some good faith of attempting to regain employment.
That's usually the case with Wisconsin, that you have to document your job search. However, under current conditions that requirement is suspended.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:56 AM   #20

It is amusing that the OP posted this thread, rather than just doing it. Was your spider sense tingling?