Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2020, 02:20 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
corn18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
You'll probably be just fine. My young wife's spending on clothing so far in 2020 has been $363.88. Mine has been $36.75. We are finding that we simply have no need for new or additional clothes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Clothes? Unless I pick up some new underwear before the year end, my clothing spending will be $0 this year.

Hmmm... Maybe I should look to see if I have some holey socks that need replacement too.
I hear ya. We (and by we, I mean my wife) spent $10,100 on clothes in 2019 and $13,420 in 2018. YGTBSM!
__________________
Don't do something, just stand there!
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2020, 02:32 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 7,982
We spent $1,066 so far on clothes this year.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:33 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 10,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I hear ya. We (and by we, I mean my wife) spent $10,100 on clothes in 2019 and $13,420 in 2018. YGTBSM!
So is she on board with going from that to $2400 or $6000 (the two numbers you put in plans posted here), if need be? I assume the difference is the $33K pure fluff.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:36 PM   #64
Moderator
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Flyover country
Posts: 18,180
If it helps any, that spending category will most likely go down quite a bit over time.

We've been retired for a long time and our 2018 clothing expenditures were 1.15% of total spending. 2019 was 1.57%. The only reason it was so high was because we really couldn't resist some expensive sweaters and stuff in places like Stockholm, Oslo, Edinburgh, London, etc.
__________________
I thought growing old would take longer.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:45 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
corn18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
So is she on board with going from that to $2400 or $6000 (the two numbers you put in plans posted here), if need be? I assume the difference is the $33K pure fluff.
She is because we have the fluff money. I like this approach because then she has to decide if spending $6k of our fluff money is worth it to buy clothes vs. maybe going on an extra vacation or buying a nicer car.
__________________
Don't do something, just stand there!
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,783
Even when we were still working and had to buy clothes, we never tracked how much we spent. It could not have been that much.

In fact, I never tracked any spending on anything until I was thinking about early retirement, went on this forum, and learned that one needed to know some details about expenses, not simply that "Income > Expenses".

Once I started to use Quicken, it's all very simple to have transactions downloaded and categorized broadly. And I do not categorize things as finely as some people do. What we spend at Costco, it's food because that's what it is mostly. The occasional flannel shirt or a jacket I bought is insignificant, and did not need itemizing. Or the socks.

But I am quite certain that I have bought no shirt, nor socks, nor underwear this year.

PS. When the money is spent at Men's Wearhouse, then it is definitely clothes. However, the last time that happened was the tux plus a new suit I bought for the occasion of my daughter's wedding. And that's 5 years ago.
__________________
"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 5,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
She is because we have the fluff money. I like this approach because then she has to decide if spending $6k of our fluff money is worth it to buy clothes vs. maybe going on an extra vacation or buying a nicer car.
It's unfortunate that immediate gratification often wins out over future pleasure. For whatever reason, I seem to have been "born" with the delayed-gratification gene. I know so many folks who have the immediate-gratification gene. I have tried to council my good friend (the one who owes $500K) that if ONLY he would wait, he could have MORE. He understands my logic. NOT spending all that interest would mean more to spend on toys - eventually. BUT, he just can not wait. That's why I think it must be genetic - but I could be wrong 'cause YMMV.
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:38 PM   #68
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Back woods of Fennario
Posts: 1,099
This is obviously a FIRECALC result - there are other calculators. Find one that gives you the answer you want or tweak the parameters until you get the answer you want.

I am with Old Shooter on this point: 90% vs 95% vs 85% are all about the same if you ask me in terms of what your particular future will look like.
__________________
"Time wounds all heels...." - Groucho Marx
LRDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
corn18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
This is obviously a FIRECALC result - there are other calculators. Find one that gives you the answer you want or tweak the parameters until you get the answer you want.

I am with Old Shooter on this point: 90% vs 95% vs 85% are all about the same if you ask me in terms of what your particular future will look like.
I actually use The Flexible Retirement Planner for my Monte Carlo sims. It tells me what I need and Ps. My real planner is my giant spreadsheet. That's where I do all of my what if's.
__________________
Don't do something, just stand there!
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 5,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
This is obviously a FIRECALC result - there are other calculators. Find one that gives you the answer you want or tweak the parameters until you get the answer you want.

I am with Old Shooter on this point: 90% vs 95% vs 85% are all about the same if you ask me in terms of what your particular future will look like.
I don't know the inner workings of FIRECalc. My gut tells me there IS quite a difference between - especially the upper-numbered "survival" percentages. Sort of like 50% chance of rain is pretty nebulous. You can't loose. But if you say 100% or 0% chance of rain, you are staking your weatherman reputation on the outcome.

SWAG: The difference between 50% survivability and 55% isn't much difference in stash. BUT difference between 90% and 95% is a fairly large difference in stash. (Even bigger "stash" difference from 95% to 100%) I very much doubt it is linear - BUT I DO NOT KNOW so YMMV.
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:42 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 567
Yes, because the next RIF offer (if there is one) will likely be less or nothing at all.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:52 PM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 7,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
Yes, because the next RIF offer (if there is one) will likely be less or nothing at all.
True in general the 1st RIF offer tends to be the highest.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:02 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I hear ya. We (and by we, I mean my wife) spent $10,100 on clothes in 2019 and $13,420 in 2018. YGTBSM!
Iím sure you probably covered this earlier but is she still working? I needed a pretty nice work wardrobe and spent about that every year on clothes. I cut it to 6k for retirement and so far this year thatís a big over estimation based on what I need.
tb001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:24 PM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
corn18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
Iím sure you probably covered this earlier but is she still working? I needed a pretty nice work wardrobe and spent about that every year on clothes. I cut it to 6k for retirement and so far this year thatís a big over estimation based on what I need.
Stay at home mom.
__________________
Don't do something, just stand there!
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:02 AM   #75
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: MOUNT PLEASANT
Posts: 9
If you have health care covered, I think you be fine. I waited on retiring until ACA was passed.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:16 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Jersey City
Posts: 318
Since this thread focuses on numbers, you could take a closer look at how much your time is worth and decide whether you're selling it at a good price: https://jamesclear.com/value-of-time# This should factor in your decision.
Another good link that helped me make a jump is here: https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ork-42328.html
tenant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
We spent $1,066 so far on clothes this year.

Interesting to see how people spend, my GF is into fashion. She LBHM but our priorities are different, I asked her how much she thought I spent on clothing last year (was a typical year for me) and she guessed $2K, the correct answer was about $200 (and a good portion of that was running shoes)! I laughed but then thought a bit more and realized I must be doing something right if I can spend $200 and give the impression of a $2K budget! I don't think I want to know what she spends if she thinks I spend that much!



I have a very full closet and unless I gain a bunch of weight (I'm stocked if I'm lucky disciplined and get leaner) so I expect to only buy shoes/socks/undewear for the next few years.
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #78
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: MOUNT PLEASANT
Posts: 9
Another area of retirement is enjoying your free time. The first time in eight years of retirement I ever thought of returning to work was the COVID 19 Quarantine. Financial security is very important but it is not everything.

Best of luck whatever path you choose.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #79
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,524
For me, no, not at 55 unless there were health reasons. I would want 100%+

Retiring at 55 vs. 58 was a consideration for DH. DH - would receive 90% of his pension at 55, and 100% at 58 (in addition to the extra pension and annuity credits) and social security. Since his pension would also be reduced, based upon the 100% joint and survivor, option we decided that he would work until at least 58. (He ended up retiring at 60).

I would also look at your plan after the go-go years. There can be a spike in costs for at home care; or - if you (or spouse if she survives you - she) may want to move into a high quality CCRC.
__________________
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
MarieIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:00 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Would you retire @ 90% Ps?
Yes, if you're referring to FIRECalc and the 4% SWR... along with an inflation-fighting pension and cheap healthcare.

Imagine yourself 10 years from now. Will you look back on today and think "Wow, I'm glad I retired at 90% instead of working the extra years for 95%?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
I think you become wealthier when the Fog of Work lifts. Do a google search for that phrase with Nords. Itís a good article that will speak to you as a BD guy.
https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ork-42328.html
__________________
*

Co-author (with my daughter) of ďRaising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.Ē
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time hereó please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Probability of Success at varying % Equity AA Midpack FIRE and Money 50 01-25-2020 08:58 AM
Living longer decreases probability of success? Racer X FIRECalc support 5 05-27-2015 06:03 PM
Withdrawal rates, age & probability of success Midpack FIRE and Money 62 01-16-2013 09:58 PM
Happiness leads to success vs Success leads to happiness Midpack Other topics 4 02-06-2012 08:59 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:46 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.