Join Early Retirement Today

Would you retire in this situation?
Old 08-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Would you retire in this situation?

My traditional IRA is at 1.2 mil, but i cannot access until 59 1/2. I am 55 and I plan to retire when i have enough in my 401k to get me to 60 1/2 years old. That leaves some extra $ - just in case. My 401 k can be accessed after 55 penalty free.
So i could be 57 1/2, and have enough in the 401k to live in retirement for 3 years.

Would you do this? Reasons?

brainsagolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2017, 11:02 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wouldn't but those assets wouldn't support our lifestyle easily. The real question is whether they would support your lifestyle and needs. Take your data and run FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator and let us know what your success rate is calculated. As a first cut, if it was 95% or better and you were wanting to retire, I'd say go for it.

Whisper66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:00 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Age isn't as important since you can roll part over to a separate account and 72t it. Can you live including health insurance off of 36-48k/yr?
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:50 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper66 View Post
I wouldn't but those assets wouldn't support our lifestyle easily. The real question is whether they would support your lifestyle and needs. Take your data and run FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator and let us know what your success rate is calculated. As a first cut, if it was 95% or better and you were wanting to retire, I'd say go for it.
+1

Welcome to the forum. I would not let the 72t issue drive my decision. I would base the decision on your Firecalc results and your reasons to Fire.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:08 AM   #5

Cash flow and expenses. Can you maintain your standard of living using your plan? Do you have a safety net (home equity, ability to work PT if needed, ability to move to lower COL area if necessary?). You can add SS at 62 to your plans, if needed.

Many have retired on less than you have. It can be done. Only you know if you can do it.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Cash flow and expenses. Can you maintain your standard of living using your plan? Do you have a safety net (home equity, ability to work PT if needed, ability to move to lower COL area if necessary?). You can add SS at 62 to your plans, if needed.

Many have retired on less than you have. It can be done. Only you know if you can do it.
X2, only OP can know his budget, and the answers to these questions. IOW, not enough information to be able to answer the question.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsagolfer View Post
My traditional IRA is at 1.2 mil, but i cannot access until 59 1/2. I am 55 and I plan to retire when i have enough in my 401k to get me to 60 1/2 years old. That leaves some extra $ - just in case. My 401 k can be accessed after 55 penalty free.
So i could be 57 1/2, and have enough in the 401k to live in retirement for 3 years.

Would you do this? Reasons?
It's been said many times but bears repeating: the answer depends on your expenses. Get a firm grip on that and everything else will flow from there
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Your sitting better than me, financially ... and I plan to retire at the end of this year (at age 57) or by March 2018 at the latest.

I envision that I plan to live off 30K - 36K a year for three years (my 4% WD rate) - until my blended SS and Pension kick in at age 60. Now $2.5K - 3K per month is enough for me because our house is paid off, the health premiums on my wife's plan are low and my wife and I split our joint costs.

I also have to acknowledge that my net monthly paycheck just barely exceeds $2,500 but that is after taxes are paid, 2K is contributed to the 401K, 6% goes into a Pension, etc. Once retired, the amount of monies needed for savings will minimal. Taxes will be minimal, etc.

Like the other posters have said, its all about your expenses.

Michael

IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote