Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

I would start downsizing and scout areas you would move to . It is much easier to move at 60 than in your 70's .By the way our neighbors just sold their house for a very large amount so we are in the same position but a lot older than you .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you KNOW you're going to have to move- I'd pick an opportune time to do it, and if property prices are good, take advantage. Also take time to find exactly what you want for your next housing situation. Waiting until you HAVE to move may leave you with less attractive options
Old 04-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #23

I think I would target 2019. If in a hot school area I would try to put on the market in March/April. Then use the time prior to sale to get your home in shape for sale. And scout out a new home for yourself. You also get some time to process the move. And the kids know to get their stuff together too

We downsized almost 2 years ago to our vacation home. Half the size of our main home and 1 level. Our main home had 67 stairs throughout. Mrs Scrapr counted them. That & the property tax was creeping up.

Good luck
Scrapr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in Philly too and have recently started yearning to downsize to a condo. However with 12 years until the younger kid goes to college it’s a little premature to start planning. However, I scan listings all the time, and don’t see a lot of nice buildings in comparable areas where a 2 bedroom condo is substantially less than 650K. And when you factor in higher HOA fees, transfer tax, moving costs, I would think that staying in your lovely home in its awesome location is the better move financially.
Camellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have multiple friends with new knees, as I understand it, give yourself 3 months for rehab. After that you will be okay with stairs again. In fact you will be back to how you were at 30 with stairs.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
As the song goes would you stay or would you go?
The problem is where will you go, if you like to stay in Philly. For that money, you can get a huge ranch home elsewhere, but do you want to relocate?

I dunno and cannot offer any help, other than posting that song that you talked about.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Regardless of who is selling what in your neighborhood, with bad knees I'd sell right now and move to a home with no stairs at all.

My thinking is, why not prepare for likely future needs now, before you wind up in a tough situation. Right now you can take your time and find a home with no stairs that is just right for you and in a location that you like.
I see it this way also. No reason to hang around til your hand is forced.

Although i have one short flight to get to my floor, I was able to handle that well enough while I waited 8 months for my hip replacement. Nevertheless i kind of wish that I had kept looking until I found a high rise with elevators. Still, I have no continuing issues, and medium good luck lets me stay put here, and I really like it here. If i keep my upper body strength, I could get in with no legs at all.

Ha
Old 04-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I see it this way also. No reason to hang around til your hand is forced.

Although i have one short flight to get to my floor, I was able to handle that well enough while I waited 8 months for my hip replacement. Nevertheless i kind of wish that I had kept looking until I found a high rise with elevators. Still, I have no continuing issues, and medium good luck lets me stay put here, and I really like it here. If i keep my upper body strength, I could get in with no legs at all.

Ha
I am visualizing you as standing on your hands, and walking upstairs that way. That probably wasn't what you meant, but if it was then I'm suitably impressed.

My house has no stairs inside and I like it that way because of crummy knees and age related arthritis. To enter via the front door, which I never do (because the detached garage is in the back), I have one normal sized step. To enter via the side door, there are two steps only 2" high each, and I took a terrible fall there the first week that I lived here. So, I now hang on to the railing and I am excessively careful when using that door. To enter via the back door (my favorite, right by the detached garage), there are no stairs at all.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:36 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
One good thing about waiting is that once those sell, it will give you good comparables to know what your house is worth. After all that is what appraisers do, look at recent similar sales that are close to your place. Add and subtract as needed to try and equalize and then come up with a number for your place. ...
+1 If I were planning to sell, I would wait for the others to sell then list quickly. As comps they will almost certainly help you and you may bag a buyer who missed getting one of your neighbors' houses and hence is motivated.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

We lived in Boston for 10+ years and in early 2016 had much the same situation in our condo complex. Saw a couple similar townhouses sell for surprisingly high numbers and had a few real estate agents evaluate our place. The numbers shocked us and after some late nights with plenty of wine, we decided that if we could get anywhere near what the agents suggested we could, we could pull the FIRE trigger if we sold and moved "back home". We executed the plan in August 2016 and sold.

When seeking out our Forever Home in our old hometown area, our first - and nearly only - priority was to have one-floor living; essentially a ranch style home. Having had a hip replacement in my 50's, this was a priority. We found our home and couldn't be happier. When they roll me out of here for the final time, it'll be a SMOOTH ride!
Old 04-19-2018, 12:25 AM   #31

I agree with W2R. Better to be proactive on a forever home.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am visualizing you as standing on your hands, and walking upstairs that way. That probably wasn't what you meant, but if it was then I'm suitably impressed.

My house has no stairs inside and I like it that way because of crummy knees and age related arthritis. To enter via the front door, which I never do (because the detached garage is in the back), I have one normal sized step. To enter via the side door, there are two steps only 2" high each, and I took a terrible fall there the first week that I lived here. So, I now hang on to the railing and I am excessively careful when using that door. To enter via the back door (my favorite, right by the detached garage), there are no stairs at all.
I only wish. I tried my much less attractive method yesterday. Sit down on the stairs, lift my butt up to the next stair, then move my hands up once more. Of course I might still need legs to stand up at my door I guess, so maybe this would not work after all. l was amazed when I had very severe arthritis in my hip, how mobile I could be with very good crutches. My GF sometimes asked me to slow down.

But your no-stairs solution is better for sure.

Ha