Join Early Retirement Today

Wow, Bear Sterns
Old 06-23-2007, 06:45 AM   #1
gone traveling

Wow, Bear Sterns

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/23/bu...23bond.html?hp
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep they were really stupid. But the true broader impact should be clear next month with banks/insurance companies post their quarterly results. It's confined to the subprime securities area. Financial stocks have already taken a big hit as folks already fear the worst.

But it's also likely that we get a few more of these little "hiccups" through 2007. I suspect Bear Stearns were not the only stupid ones.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I liked the phrase about "investors were clamoring for even higher yields" as if their demands drove Bear Stearns to engage in that behavior. Good thing that I don't have BS.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Maybe if they paid their people more
Old 06-23-2007, 01:20 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe if they paid their people more

How can you hire the best help when you don't pay them enough?
Bloomberg.com: Worldwide
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Hedge funds are supposed to bear the higher risks for their higher returns. I hope no one holds any other BS funds! Where did the billions in bailout come from?
Old 06-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Hedge funds are supposed to bear the higher risks for their higher returns. I hope no one holds any other BS funds! Where did the billions in bailout come from?
All of the large firms now have "firm capital" that they trade for the profit of the MDs and eventually the shareholders (or partners if it's a partnership). At firms like Goldman Sachs the return on their own invested capital actually contributes more to their profits than any other activity.

In the past, these cases of hedge funds blowing up could have been avoided if the lenders were a little more patient. I think BS realizes this so they would rather risk the firms own capital and not let all of the funds assets get called away.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

It indicates a short-term cash crunch may be at hand if the hedge fund's investors want to bolt and run.

Bear Stearns needs to make it good or else their creds will be shot. It is not uncommon for market forces to cause investors to stress and otherwise survivable situation. Some insurance companies have run into similar problems and been acquired when underlying assets were temporarily low and the company did not have resources to make it good without cashing out at a loss.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:20 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm.... let's see...

Start a hedge fund and bring in billions of dollars and charge a ridiculous high fee to the people...

Manage that fund and keep charging a high fee...

When the fund gets into trouble LEND money to it at probably a good interest rate and continue to charge the high fee...

Yes, you do have the risk that the loan will go bad... but it is not like they lost $3 billion... it was the investors who did...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:06 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

And don't forget about a government-led bail out (to protect the "fragile financial marketplace").
Olav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olav23 View Post
And don't forget about a government-led bail out (to protect the "fragile financial marketplace").
Please name all of the hedge funds that the government has bailed out?
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 08:41 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
Please name all of the hedge funds that the government has bailed out?

What did we do before the Internet??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry, I misspoke, I was actually referring to the "Fed". And even so, I never said the Govt monetarily bailed out a hedge fund, just that it LED them. I was referring to the fed-organized bailout of LTCM.
Olav23 is offline   Reply With Quote