Join Early Retirement Today

Wow, the big announcement at work today...
Old 11-17-2015, 01:28 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, the big announcement at work today...

Bomb dropped at megacorp today, they are shutting down my entire product/mfg operation and moving it to the west coast. Oh and "your job will be gone next year, but here is a retention bonus if you agree to stay through the end of 2016". My "walk" date is/was 2/1/2017. "Oh but wait, you don't want to retire, you want them to let you go, so you can collect a 3/4yr salary severance". Oh, your end date falls a month short of your pension date? Don't worry, we'll cover that for you, you'll get you full pension amount.

Nice six figure "re-org" for me at work today. Sad though for hundreds of co-workers who are fretting their futures today....
doneat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi doneat, congratulations! My wife is hoping for something like this.
ImThinkin2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

WOW. That is like a "only in my dream" kind of scenario. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't you love when stars aligned like that !!! Congratulations!!!
Exit 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:08 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Awesome news.

My wife's company recently announced mass layoffs (11% of the workforce). Unfortunately they are targeting high cost of living areas (primarily in Europe) and we don't live in one of those. There's still hope though I guess. She would get ~9 months severance if let go. She's ready to quit any time and may just do it anyway in January/Feb or once it warms up in the spring since the layoff and severance is speculative in her case.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations. I got lucky, too, with a buy out when I was planning to go anyway, but I still have survivor's guilt for the people that got hurt.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Pasteur said 'Chance favors the prepared wallet'.
Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats to you!
When it (the package treatment) happened to me a month ago I was elated. I had been doing the OMY thing for 4 years and didn't have the courage to make the jump myself. The severance pkg. gave me the jump off the diving board I needed.
I have been so happy (and busy) and notice all kinds of changes in my life!
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat58 View Post
Bomb dropped at megacorp today, they are shutting down my entire product/mfg operation and moving it to the west coast. Oh and "your job will be gone next year, but here is a retention bonus if you agree to stay through the end of 2016". My "walk" date is/was 2/1/2017. "Oh but wait, you don't want to retire, you want them to let you go, so you can collect a 3/4yr salary severance". Oh, your end date falls a month short of your pension date? Don't worry, we'll cover that for you, you'll get you full pension amount.

Nice six figure "re-org" for me at work today. Sad though for hundreds of co-workers who are fretting their futures today....
parting gifts...
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #10

That is truly a case of the stars aligning in your favor.

I held on for a package for 3 years... never came so I quit anyway. Wish I'd had your timing!!!

Congratulations.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:53 PM   #11

Excellent! Could you contain your glee in front of your coworkers?
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Excellent! Could you contain your glee in front of your coworkers?
It must have taken some real restraint to keep the "I just won the lottery!" grin off your face in front of all those folks who just had the rug pulled from underneath them.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:09 PM   #13

Wow. I was hoping for something like this for the last few years. It hit other departments, but never mine.

This forum is a good place to celebrate.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #14

Great news (for you) ! Enjoy the gift, and as others said keep the joy private. I'm sure some co-workers are less than happy right now. This is like that car commercial of the guy holding his baby when his team wins the football game; he gently hands the baby to his wife, quietly goes into his car, and then screams for joy.
Very happy for you.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I planned to leave Megacorp by the time I was 50 and slow down. Well, they got me more than two years earlier, but with 6 months' severance pay in the bank and with all calculators predicting firm success with retirement, it turned out to be one of the best things that ever happened to me. But yeah, it sucks for the people who were screwed who really still need the job.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on the way things worked out!

I've seen this before and it's such a mixed bag/blessing.

Reminds me of my last day when the SVP of HR assigned a relatively junior HR person to do my exit interview ... and she kept saying "You're signing a severance agreement ... but you look so happy and relaxed ... I'm confused" She had no idea what was really going on and I didn't bother to explain it to her - not my problem anymore - but when she got to the checks and saw 2 yrs of pay and 2 months of accrued sick and vacation pay I think it began to sink in.

Best of luck to you in staying motivated and engaged during the transition. It may be tough to spend the year in shut-down mode with lots of negativity all around -- but keep your eyes on the prize and you'll be golden!
TallTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 04:55 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

While I have several years of working left to go I know the feeling of things working out very nicely. Its tough to keep that lucky feeling to yourself when others are having difficulty with the exact same outcome.

Either way, congrats!
Greencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #18

Congrats! But now you have to figure out what to do throughout January 2017.....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Congrats! But now you have to figure out what to do throughout January 2017.....

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I would say party. But I saw those who stayed were bored... not much to do. And most did not do much work for the company. It was somewhat limiting looking for new jobs... but the OP is not looking for one.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:28 PM   #20

Congratulations. I wish I could have been laid off. I would have been eligible for up to 6 months of pay.