Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2016, 11:12 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I doubt that having a "bucket list" is the issue, but it might be a symptom. The real issue (IMO) is the ability to enjoy the moment. If Person A is just "killing time" in anticipation of the next "high," while Person B is taking advantage of each day's opportunities--right where they are and within easy reach, maybe even in a predictable routine--to have some fun, gain some fulfillment, then I suspect Person B might ultimately be more satisfied. Many of us spent our working years in anticipation, for an annual holiday vacation and ultimately to be free of the shackles of a j*b to have the freedom of retirement. It would be a shame to spend retirement in yet more waiting for periodic rushes rather than taking the opportunities close at hand.
It's not an either-or thing. There's no problem with travel or adventure, but if I found that my daily life was something to be endured while waiting for that big rush, I'd probably seek to recalibrate things. If I've substituted artificially stressful w*rk goals for artificially stressful bucket list "to-dos", maybe I haven't gained all I could have.
+2

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 11:13 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We don't really have a bucket list. There are things I think might be fun or interesting to do but this list changes constantly. The order of the things change also but is not a conscious process. Travel is a big aspect of what we might want to do but certainly not the whole thing.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Nope - Just booked a trip to England and Ireland. I'm not worried - I probably stand a greater chance of danger in Chicago.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Attached is our story of our Ireland and England.
[mod edit to remove link to blog]
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:47 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Attached is our story of our Ireland and England.
[mod edit - removed link to blog]
+1

The fourth pic (especially) brought back memories of 30 years ago:

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Will the Brussels attack affect bucket list travel plans?
Lol, I live in Philly and do a lot of work in Camden Nj which every few years or so ends up on the county's most dangerous city list. If in a victim of terror i have a better chance of it happening at home.

Europe is not on the list this summer but next year I'm going.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 03-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

We live in a desirable part of the country with much natural beauty. Many people retire here. WE like to go on wine walks, etc and always meet great people. The same thing with traveling. I don't think you need to live in an ugly place to want to travel. We enjoy all the things that there here locally too. But if you don't like to travel then don't go.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I do think think that travel is more appealing if it is kind of dull either topographically or socially or entertainment-wise where a person lives.

As soon as I got out of high school I saw to it that I lived in lively places that were magnets for others' travel. In general if I didn't have to travel for work, I liked being home. I does make a difference if you look out the window and see sea and mountains, instead of another few miles of prairie.
We used to live in a prairie city and almost went stir crazy. Every weekend was dinner and a movie. It was not a good fit for us so we moved to the Bay Area. The weather is nice most of the year here and there is a lot to do. We have to travel to visit family and friends, and they are somewhat scattered geographically, so that usually fills up our travel itch for the year.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:17 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We live in a desirable part of the country with much natural beauty. Many people retire here. WE like to go on wine walks, etc and always meet great people. The same thing with traveling. I don't think you need to live in an ugly place to want to travel. We enjoy all the things that there here locally too. But if you don't like to travel then don't go.
I'm not sure who you are talking to, but if it is me you have hugely misinterpreted what I said.

Also, I am not giving you or anyone else advice, so please refrain from giving me any.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
+1

The fourth pic (especially) brought back memories of 30 years ago:

Is that George Costanza at the Blarney Stone??
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:40 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derslickmeister View Post
Is that George Costanza at the Blarney Stone??
"And you want to be my latex salesman?"

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
"And you want to be my latex salesman?"
Now that really brought back memories
Derslickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:50 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Will the Brussels attack affect bucket list travel plans?
We go from Amsterdam to Brugges with a one day trip to Brussels in June. We also fly back from Paris a month later.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:16 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

At 22 years of ER I grasp the Zen of watching paint dry. Oil paint that is. Recently Red Barn paint shade.

heh heh heh - This is an interesting thread. And yes we'll do some more traveling and met some more interesting people this year but I don't take it too seriously.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:19 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
But, once one is retired with plenty of time to travel, how special or enlightening can it really be to see another famous landmark or a nice view? A mountain is a mountain, a beach is a beach, and an old building is just another an old building...regardless of whether it's 200 years old or 1000 years old.
-1 Speak for yourself only. I happily travel to see a new mountain, or canyon, or castle, or museum. Just because I have been to the Tetons, I should not go to Yosemite? Ridiculous. I'm going.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
-1 Speak for yourself only. I happily travel to see a new mountain, or canyon, or castle, or museum. Just because I have been to the Tetons, I should not go to Yosemite? Ridiculous. I'm going.
Yes, I'm only speaking for myself. I apologize if my comment came off as a little defensive...it's probably because I've had far too many people say "I guess you'll travel more when you retire?" as if that's the number one goal of all retirees by default.

To me it's just another mountain, but I understand that others feel differently. I wish you nothing but the best in whatever you decide to do in your retirement.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
At 22 years of ER I grasp the Zen of watching paint dry. Oil paint that is. Recently Red Barn paint shade.
Sounds like fun! As for me, in my 7th year of retirement I myself have grasped the Zen of watching grass grow.

My newly sodded front, back, and side lawns, that is. It's just mind boggling to see how quickly the sod moved from grey-brown to green, and is now growing taller and greener. It was put in about 3 weeks ago, and the first mow is scheduled to be in about 1-2 weeks.

No travel planned or wanted, in my case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back lawn 03_21_2016.jpg (82.9 KB, 29 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:33 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We go from Amsterdam to Brugges with a one day trip to Brussels in June. We also fly back from Paris a month later.
For those planning to fly to Brussels shortly: airport is still closed and probably will start up in a few days again.

In the mean time flights are being diverted to nearby cities which tends to add several hours to your trip.

There seems to be no structural damage to the airport building but it will take a while before repairs are done. In addition alot of the staff are too traumatized to work, so not enough workers to get everything running.

International fast train (Thalys) is back up and running, but expect additional security checks that may slow you down. Bruges or any other city (Gent, Antwerp) have no issues.

Source: I'm from Belgium and my family lives 30 miles or so away from Brussels.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Ha: I wasn't giving you advice but merely stating a fact. If someone does not like to travel then why would they-plain and simple.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:55 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Ha: I wasn't giving you advice but merely stating a fact. If someone does not like to travel then why would they-plain and simple.
Sorry I could not respond, I've been in San Francisco the last week, no time for surfing web.

Went to a Warriors game; what a basketball team!

Ha
Old 03-31-2016, 05:31 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

I love SF. It is one of my favorite places to travel.