Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

WSJ Editorial: The Fed is Out of Ammunition
Old 11-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

WSJ Editorial: The Fed is Out of Ammunition

More grist for the worry mill. The author opines that continuing bailouts will just exacerbate the debt without positive effect, weaken the US currency (prompting foreigners to flee the dollar for gold) and ultimately lead to a situation like Japan's. Hey, he even includes some statistics for good measure!

I'm not buying it (yet), especially his clear but unstated call for a return to the gold standard. But, it's been awhile since we heard from the gold bugs, so this one's for them

Inflation, deflation, currency collapse--you can find an oracle for anything you might want to believe. I think it's time to invest in distilled spirits.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Im going to take my remaining funds and become a professional poker player.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
More grist for the worry mill. The author opines that continuing bailouts will just exacerbate the debt without positive effect, weaken the US currency (prompting foreigners to flee the dollar for gold) and ultimately lead to a situation like Japan's. Hey, he even includes some statistics for good measure!

I'm not buying it (yet), especially his clear but unstated call for a return to the gold standard. But, it's been awhile since we heard from the gold bugs, so this one's for them

Inflation, deflation, currency collapse--you can find an oracle for anything you might want to believe. I think it's time to invest in distilled spirits.
Sam, you left out HYPERinflation, the most likely scenario in my opinion.
Works well for all but the financially prudent.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:36 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

I agree I just used the last of my cash to buy Diageo (DEO). Maker of such fine spirits as Johnny Walker, Smirnoff, Guinness, Bailey's, J&B.

If this market has not driven people to drink nothing will. So please drink up, but don't drive (You can't drink after your dead. )
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I agree I just used the last of my cash to buy Diageo (DEO). Maker of such fine spirits as Johnny Walker, Smirnoff, Guinness, Bailey's, J&B.

If this market has not driven people to drink nothing will. So please drink up, but don't drive (You can't drink after your dead. )
I've owned Diageo since before it was Diageo. Bought Guinness in the pink sheets in the early to mid nineties. They bought United Distillers, and later made the name change to Diageo. They always seem to be having this or that problem, but each year they send me more money.

I liked it so much I also bought Pernod Ricard. It also did well, but I sold it. I still have the ordinary shares, but also added some DEO along the way.

It is hard not to make money with tobacco or liquor, unless you pay too much going in. Any recent buys did not cost too much.

Ha
Old 11-24-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
... I liked it so much I also bought Pernod Ricard.
Ha
So did you support your companies by drinking their product? Make pasti, a Provençal drink, with Pernod?
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Currency collapse: do what the Russians do nowadays, spend it all before it's worth nothing.

Hum Pastis, nothing more refreshing in the summer.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:30 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It is hard not to make money with tobacco or liquor, unless you pay too much going in. Any recent buys did not cost too much.

Ha
It is reassuring to know that you are long time shareholder. I wrote puts on it at $60 not expecting to get them exercised. I was very tempted to sell today, but I just have to remind myself that the long term prospect of the company aren't really different now than they were a few months ago, just the share price.

I must say I am really bummed that they don't offer any shareholder discounts on their our products Did Guinness when it was a stand alone company? My favorite beer
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote