WSJ: Why Your Home Is Not the Investment You Think It Is

You could of bought that condo with a less than 10k down .

I think that changes the numbers some.
Its always interesting to read what the sentiment is after an investment has performed so well. I still think people are overstating how much real estate will fall. You have to look at local markets though. Not all areas have boomed.

Is your home an asset ? Maybe but I think the point in saying its not or not as great as you think. Is to get people to do something besides thinking that there home will bail them out at old age if your otherwise broke.
While that may help fidelity I think its generally good advice.

2Cor521
When we sold our last house we met the buyers at a coffee shop, talked over the offer over coffee, and had the whole deal written up in about 30 minutes on two single sided pieces of paper

We had the same experience with our home in Central California. After looking for over a year, working with brokers, etc., we stumbled upon this place being built by a young 40ish man and his wife. It was about 80% done at the time. We talked with the both of them, agreed on some changes, some additions, and a price. Signed the envelope right there on the kitchen counter, got the loan and voila!

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Back
Top Bottom