Join Early Retirement Today

Yahoo finance guessing at closing prices?
Old 10-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yahoo finance guessing at closing prices?

Well this amuses me a little.

At this moment, Yahoo finance says that today's closing price for VFIAX is $326.29. However, Vanguard has not, at this moment, published a closing price for VFIAX for today; their website still shows Friday's close (of $321.02).

How does Yahoo know before Vanguard?

Sure, they can guess based on the price movement in the S&P500 (and apparently they guessed correctly because Vanguard's site just updated). But that could be wrong on dates around dividend distributions unless they're clever (and I can never figure out which day a Vanguard dividend is going to be paid anyway - it seems they don't announce these dates ahead of time).

Or maybe Vanguard tells Yahoo before Vanguard updates their own webpage that I see? (This probably has to be the explanation.)

Anyway, it was my entertainment for the afternoon.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe Vanguard distributed the price before they updated their own website?

Morningstar also has the $326.29 price:
https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/vfiax/quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Or maybe Vanguard tells Yahoo before Vanguard updates their own webpage that I see? (This probably has to be the explanation.)
It's done through a third party intermediary - like Bloomberg or Reuters.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 06:01 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Its likely just a timing issue. Vanguard site now has the update, but Google finance does not (as I type this post).

It could also be related to today being Columbus Day, with some institutions open and some closed.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I find “Bloomberg stock quote site ” has the end of day price on mutual funds before yahoo or Vanguard.
TOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote