Yale's top investor belongs on ER Forums

I would respectively submit that YOU are paying for ALL maintenance. Just not directly...
Yes, but how much more does one earn by pre-paying for services that are sure to rise over the period you own the car?

I would respectively submit that YOU are paying for ALL maintenance. Just not directly...

it's a moot point. I simply don't care about the maintenance. I drove all of the cars in it's class and none of the other put a smile on my face when I drove them.

However, you are technically correct, I'm not as dumb as I look.

it's a moot point. I simply don't care about the maintenance. I drove all of the cars in it's class and none of the other put a smile on my face when I drove them.

Dang, hit a nerve or something? Just pointing out that seldom is anything "free"...

OTOH, if my vehicle starts, and the A/C works (this is Texas, after all), then I'm reasonably happy...

seems kind of silly though.

"I can beat the market with all my fancy stock and manager picking, but no one else can so they should just invest in index funds."

David Swensen did not say that nor did he imply that. He simply says that most individual investors do not have the resources and time to pick market-beating managers and therefore should stick with index funds.

What makes you think that luxury cars are in the shop more than non luxury brands?

My purely anecdotal experience has shown my BMW to be just as (if not more) reliable than my wife's Honda. My extended family owns a fleet of BMWs and MBs without any major trouble among them.

You must be the lucky one. I cannot imagine the BMWs are as reliable as Honda's or Toyota's. The maintenance cost of a BMW should be a lot higher that of a Honda.

Dang, hit a nerve or something? Just pointing out that seldom is anything "free"...

OTOH, if my vehicle starts, and the A/C works (this is Texas, after all), then I'm reasonably happy...

Not at all, quite the opposite in fact.

You were totally correct.

How about the disclosure that your BMW is a COMPANY car, and you pay NO maintenance anyway..........:D:D

I suppose you have to buy gas...........;)

How about your S2000? Any big repairs on that??

You must be the lucky one. I cannot imagine the BMWs are as reliable as Honda's or Toyota's. The maintenance cost of a BMW should be a lot higher that of a Honda.

It is.........but you'll never get a diehard BMW or Mercedes owner to admit it.

BMW and Mercedes dealers have a nice stamp they use when they service one. It goes in a neat little book that stays in your glovebox. It shows all the overpriced synthetic oil changes and $150 a hour mechanic work done on your car.

Here's the REAL scam. If you trade in your car without all those cute little stamps on it, you get MUCH LESS on trade-in, because the dealer will tell you that they can't sell it as a "certified Mercedes". Nice scam if you can get away with it..........:p

On premium fuel requirements alone, a Toyota or Honda would be cheaper.......;)

How about the disclosure that your BMW is a COMPANY car, and you pay NO maintenance anyway..........:D:D

I suppose you have to buy gas...........;)

How about your S2000? Any big repairs on that??

Nobody asked about the payments :D However, if service was done I would have to pay for it, but it's included in the price of the car.

Also, MB and BMW have gone to electronic service books. It's pretty cool, the service records are stored in the key. When you go in for service they wave it under a scanner and it brings up the service history.

No repairs on the S2000, except for the fact that it needs differential oil changed every 7500 miles and it goes through $600 of rear tires every 10K miles. Oh yeah, this Honda REQUIRES premium fuel.

Back
Top Bottom