Yep, more proof of deflation...

ziggy29

Moderator Emeritus
USPS Postal News: Postal Service Mailing Services Prices to Change on May 11

WASHINGTON — The Governors of the U.S. Postal Service have approved new prices for mailing services, including a 2-cent increase in the price of a First-Class Mail stamp to 44 cents. Prices for mailing services are reviewed annually and adjusted each May. The new prices will go into effect Monday, May 11.

Deflation? Yeah, right.

And I don't see any increases for junk mail in here, either...

This is what happens where you have a monopoly, even if it is a quasi-government one. The Congress, in another moment of profound stupidity, allows the USPS to set their own rates. I guess they did this so as to not be bothered with listening and voting on rates. Where is the outcry to roll it back? Funny how the revenue goes down the rates go up. Sort of like bonds right?

Love those forever stamps! I Use so few stamps that a single booklet lasts me a couple of years! Plus I don't have to remember what first class costs.

Audrey

Love those forever stamps! I Use so few stamps that a single booklet lasts me a couple of years! Plus I don't have to remember what first class costs.

Audrey

Yes!

I no longer have to worry.

I didn't know this when I asked for forever stamps at the post office today instead of the Bette Davis ones I so enjoy. Next time I go back I'll "invest" in some more.

Audrey

Yup - I may have lost a couple of hundred thousand dollars in the stock market but I saved 24 cents with forever stamps.

Year over year stamps are returning 5% (2 cents divided by 42 cents). Way better than just about every other asset class right now besides bonds and maybe CD's. :)

It must be hard for the postal service to always find oddball numbers that aren't divisible by 5 or 10. They've been successful since 1988:

29, 32, 33, 34, 37, 39, 41, 42, 44.

When we moved last year I cleaned out the old rolltop before we moved it. I've got at least 3-5 years worth of old stamps going all the way back to my old Bugs Bunny 32 cent'ers, plus tons of old Christmas and Chanukkah stamps of various denominations. I went out an bought some 1s, 3s, and 5 cent'ers . Since my usage is going down, I may never have to buy another stamp. Plus it's sort of fun to put a 33, a 5, a 3, and a 1 cent stamp on one of those small envelopes. :LOL:

I especially like the USPS vending machines. The USPS seems to have it's own proprietary currency--those %^&* tiny $1 coins. Most other vending machines don't take them, and most cashiers don't like them. But, if you go to the Post Office and slide a $20 bill into the reader to buy a $3 book of stamps, you'll be getting seventeen of those stupid coins in the change slot. And you'll make lots of enemies as you try to get rid of them.

Yup - I may have lost a couple of hundred thousand dollars in the stock market but I saved 24 cents with forever stamps.
Yurright!

It's really the hassle factor that the "forever" stamp eliminates! I never could remember what the first class rate was (always had to look it up) or putting a string of 1 and 2 cent stamps on the post.

I also hated licking stamps. Thank goodness they came out with the self-adhesive.

Audrey

.... Plus it's sort of fun to put a 33, a 5, a 3, and a 1 cent stamp on one of those small envelopes. :LOL:

That's as good a hobby as any.:flowers:

I've been trying out their new vending machines for packages. They take credit cards even for small amounts, under $2.00 works; maybe I'll try .42 cents next time.

When Congress removed their right to review postage rate increases, they gave USPS a blank check to do whatever they want.
I think they basically turned "forever" stamps into mini-TIPS. And since postal inflation almost always exceeds the CPI, there is some "real" return component there too...

I think they basically turned "forever" stamps into mini-TIPS. And since postal inflation almost always exceeds the CPI, there is some "real" return component there too...

Our local postal office could NOT get 100 stamp rolls of forever stamps, how convenient is that? I guess the USPS knows that sheets are inconvenient so they are trying to make it harder to buy a big stash and use it over a long period of time..........:nonono:

I can hardly wait for the .99 stamp........:mad:
If the rate of USPS increases follows the historical trend of increasing $0.02 per year as it has since 2002, you can expect the rate to hit $0.99 in 2036. But I have faith that USPS will be much more progressive and get there by 2020...

Back to the subject at hand. My two largest bills are health insurance and property tax which combined are 23% of my monthly living expenses. I don't think I am going to see deflation in these two areas.

Our local postal office could NOT get 100 stamp rolls of forever stamps, how convenient is that? I guess the USPS knows that sheets are inconvenient so they are trying to make it harder to buy a big stash and use it over a long period of time..........:nonono:
I could get them at Costco for a very slight discount (I think something like $41.75 for 100 right now)...

I could get them at Costco for a very slight discount (I think something like $41.75 for 100 right now)...

Too bad the only COSTCO is 45 minutes from my house........does Sams Club sell stamps??

Does anyone know if I could put a few forever stamps on a package and they could count for the "extra ounce" amount?

Example: 8 ounces is .42 + 7 x .17 or $1.61 total. Could I put 4 forever stamps on the package for $1.68 value (and just lose the $0.07 overage)? In other words, do the forever stamps act as a "you can mail 1 ounce of 1st class mail" or as a "you can mail $0.42 (soon to be $0.44) worth of mail"?

I think technically, it's supposed to be one stamp for one ounce or less of first-class mail.

Having said that, if you want to use a stamp worth 42 cents to pay for an extra 17 cents of postage for a two-ounce letter, I don't see why they'd complain...

Having said that, if you want to use a stamp worth 42 cents to pay for an extra 17 cents of postage for a two-ounce letter, I don't see why they'd complain...

May I remind you this is the Postal Service we are talking about. See, for example, their arcane rules and restrictions on Media Mail.

It must be like Global Warming. Coldest Winter in a long time, it's global warming's fault. Makes since, so therefore and increase in price is deflationary. All you have to do is be able to speak Washington talk.

Back
Top Bottom