Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-17-2014, 06:12 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

CNBC is sort of my business family......some young, some older, both sexes, different political opinions......and a lot of great guests that overall all tell me about business conditions throughout the world. Most days I enjoy 1/2 hour with them. Do they affect my investing decisions......yup, they affect my % in emerging markets and international index funds, they've made me think about fixed income options with many guests talking about the advantages of muni bonds and.......do I care about any of them being a little chubby or really sexy?...... nope,not in years since I've been married to the sexiest gal I know for more than 25 years.......Life? It's all good!!!!!! And, I learn alot from many of you as well. Like many of you I enjoy days that they have Jack Bogle or Warren Buffet on the show as well
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You could say that our holding CNBC women as sex objects shows just how totally lame we are. And you'd be right!

Ha
Old 04-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
CNBC is sort of my business family......some young, some older, both sexes, different political opinions......and a lot of great guests that overall all tell me about business conditions throughout the world. Most days I enjoy 1/2 hour with them. Do they affect my investing decisions......yup, they affect my % in emerging markets and international index funds, they've made me think about fixed income options with many guests talking about the advantages of muni bonds and.......do I care about any of them being a little chubby or really sexy?...... nope,not in years since I've been married to the sexiest gal I know for more than 25 years.......Life? It's all good!!!!!! And, I learn alot from many of you as well. Like many of you I enjoy days that they have Jack Bogle or Warren Buffet on the show as well
Well said!
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Have it on daily whe home if only in the background. Being retired and knowing who has value and who doesn't helps. I can always scan back. Volume goes down when they get political or fund managers come on trying to convince you passive investing is dead and you need a good stock picker like them.
TuborgP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:57 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I have it on quite a bit and find most of the antics amusing/annoying. I did not see it mentioned here, but 4/17/14 was the 25th anniversary for CNBC. I had a 7 hr drive on that day so I listened to it all day as they celebrated. I was struck by some comments about how unconventional it was at the time. In 1989 all you really had was 2 min on national news (market up/down xxx, major movers, etc,) and NBR.....no internet so stock prices were usually not available until next morning. Also, I never knew CNBC stood for Consumer News and Business Channel. They played the very first sound byte (Neil Cavuto, now with Fox Business). I was a bit disappointed they did not give much mention to anchor Mark Haynes, who died in 2011.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:55 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

The iPad app. is a good way to pick out just the content you want.

You can stream the channel live or go look at the videos they post of all the segments through the day. Only bad part is that each video is preceded by ads which you can't skip.

But pretty good description of the videos so you know what you're in for.

There are also of course news stories to view, as well as being able to look up prices, look at the indices, etc.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Yet another CNBC thread.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:44 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Yet another CNBC thread.

I thought I'd successfully eliminated CNBC from my media world with the exception of the app, which I use for current quotes.

I figured if I just stuck with NBR, I'd get something useful without the frantic hosts.

But then, Tom Hudson was gone and now I learn Susie Gharib officially departed as host. I wondered why it looked so weird in 2015.

Sadly, CNBC is everywhere.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Yet another CNBC thread.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:36 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Yet another CNBC thread.

I will give CNBC one thumb up for a change they made to their app that showed up today: a persistent header within articles, including a back arrow.

Previously, you had to scroll all the way back to the beginning to read the story summaries, but now you can see in a few minutes what the network deems "important" and repeats endlessly on-air throughout the day.

If you still miss watching the Barbies and Blowhards, you can always just click on the same articles over and over again.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:30 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Wow- sexist, are we?

My new best friend is Cramer and I frequently time my visit to the gym to coincide with his show so I can get his overview and see what stocks he likes. I store them in my memory and use other sources (including analyst ratings on Fidelity), too- I don't place orders for all his hot "buy" recommendations as soon as they're out of his mouth. The good stuff will still be there next week or next month. In general, it's good to hear what the pundits are saying because they can drive a lot of the market, whether they're right or wrong.

But look at Cramer. Sixtyish, balding, chunky. Can't we be a little easier on the women?
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:51 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Wow- sexist, are we?

But look at Cramer. Sixtyish, balding, chunky. Can't we be a little easier on the women?
I for one, can watch Kelly Evans all day long.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:11 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I for one, can watch Kelly Evans all day long.

Yes, Sir! But there are a few more that usually make this my go-to background noise channel. Courtney Reagan can report on daily movement of the sun and I would be fine with that. And that Aussie lady... I betcha she could...oh well never mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote