Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2016, 10:40 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I was polite for almost a half-hour, then politely told him this wasn't going anywhere so he may as well leave.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2016, 11:46 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

After reading this thread, decided to cancel a "free" lunch with a FA from Fisher Investments next week.

I rescheduled a root canal for that time slot instead.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Yes, he sounds desperate, pushy, needs a client.

I've been to about a dozen dinners. At least we were full after the pitch.

One FA gave the "optimise your SS" decisions pitch. I took spouse for the followup discussion, as I wanted her to be more knowledgeable about the sales pitch, and how persuasive it could be. The discussion was entirely one sided. There was a serious tilt to the assumptions. How could we turn them down?

If you're strong willed, take it to the next level, but if you're short on time, don't waste any of it.
This sound like a really good idea, and as painful as it will be, I think I will do that too at some point. Will be a good way for my wife to realize what she will be up against if and when I am no longer able to manage our finances. Maybe attending this kind of event should be required study.
The Legal Aspect
Old 03-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #44
Gone but not forgotten

The Legal Aspect

This isn't my bag, but there are some proposals that may change the whole FA playing field.
If the link doesn't work, try to google the title.

how-fiduciary-rule-may-censor-financial-broadcasters-like-dave-ramsey

Forbes Welcome

What's public, and what's private and how could it affect the investor?.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote