Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello again Supernova. I was one of the herd who abandoned the "Big Blue B" on 12/31. Since most folks knew I was leaving I had the chance to talk over retirement plans with a number of my colleagues (most of whom planned to leave in their early to mid 60s). I was surprised to find how many of them were seriously considering taking the pension buyout - as well as taking SS at 62 (or immediately upon retirement but before FRA, if later).

These are smart people - senior scientists and engineers (T6's and Tech Fellows) who have presumably worked the numbers. They just have lives in which short term demands weigh more heavily than long term planning - at least compared to the long-term-obsessed crew found around these forums. We all make different choices, and to be fair all these folks have nicer houses, drive nicer cars (and most importantly have more kids) than I do. Then again, I've spent 7 of the last 10 days just riding around on my Mountain Bike. Different strokes.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 02:59 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Hello again Supernova. I was one of the herd who abandoned the "Big Blue B" on 12/31. Since most folks knew I was leaving I had the chance to talk over retirement plans with a number of my colleagues (most of whom planned to leave in their early to mid 60s). I was surprised to find how many of them were seriously considering taking the pension buyout - as well as taking SS at 62 (or immediately upon retirement but before FRA, if later).

These are smart people - senior scientists and engineers (T6's and Tech Fellows) who have presumably worked the numbers. They just have lives in which short term demands weigh more heavily than long term planning - at least compared to the long-term-obsessed crew found around these forums. We all make different choices, and to be fair all these folks have nicer houses, drive nicer cars (and most importantly have more kids) than I do. Then again, I've spent 7 of the last 10 days just riding around on my Mountain Bike. Different strokes.
Nice hearing back Stepford! There was certainly that incentive to leave by the end of 2015 ("frozen" retiree medical at $20 a month being one).

I'm still hear but there are many days it feels like it might be sooner vs later. PM reviews not very positive, raises have really leveled off, etc. etc.

Could be worse but I'm trying hard not to make an emotional decision just based on me being nudged out.
supernova72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:44 PM   #23
gone traveling

There is a calculation for determining the pension amount. Your HR benefits department has the formula - call the help line and ask.

With rates having risen 0.25 percent last month, I suspect the pension lump sum amount may have come down since the last offering by a little bit. Usually when interest rates rise the present value of the pension drops.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I took the lump sum buyout over the pension as it gives me total control. It also allows me to manage what I leave to my heirs if I pass on earlier than planned. It also simplifies overseeing my cash flow. Most of my expense "nut" will be covered by SS so much of everything else is gravy.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
There is a calculation for determining the pension amount. Your HR benefits department has the formula - call the help line and ask.

With rates having risen 0.25 percent last month, I suspect the pension lump sum amount may have come down since the last offering by a little bit. Usually when interest rates rise the present value of the pension drops.
That's a great idea to give your retirement benefits office a call. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
I took the lump sum buyout over the pension as it gives me total control. It also allows me to manage what I leave to my heirs if I pass on earlier than planned. It also simplifies overseeing my cash flow. Most of my expense "nut" will be covered by SS so much of everything else is gravy.
Understood. That is one of the big 4 reasons to take it (leaving $$ for heirs). At 55 I'm thinking I'd have to wait until 59.5 if I took the lump and roll to an IRA unless I want to take a 10% penalty.

I'm not in gravy mode unfortunately. My pension (or lump) if I take it needs to generate about 60% of my income stream
Old 01-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post

1) I seriously doubt it but it's worth a call.

2) Not necessarily, the lump sum can be based on rates as old as August, 2015, depending on the plan year.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova72 View Post
Understood. That is one of the big 4 reasons to take it (leaving $$ for heirs). At 55 I'm thinking I'd have to wait until 59.5 if I took the lump and roll to an IRA unless I want to take a 10% penalty.
It depends on what the plan document says. This is something that HR can answer for you.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:13 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've mentioned this in previous threads but the Lazy B had offered me an early out pension buyout package. I had crunched the numbers and found that what they offered was a really really sweet deal. I accepted the early commencement option only to later have them retract their offer. Whoopsie, they had plugged in the wrong age. How funny. I wasn't amused.

My $.02, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is a mistake.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:25 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
It depends on what the plan document says. This is something that HR can answer for you.
Update: I did call our retirement office and they were pretty darn helpful. She mentioned "IRS 417E3" will be used interest rates. Then something about IRS RP-2000 for current actuarial tables etc. I guess I expected that they need to follow those guidelines.

Then age, yrs of service, gender etc.

The one mystery is she said the company "factor" is not quite ready yet. That will be available on our retirement estimator website on Feb 4th.

Is the "factor" what others refer to a haircut? Lol.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:26 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
I've mentioned this in previous threads but the Lazy B had offered me an early out pension buyout package. I had crunched the numbers and found that what they offered was a really really sweet deal. I accepted the early commencement option only to later have them retract their offer. Whoopsie, they had plugged in the wrong age. How funny. I wasn't amused.

My $.02, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is a mistake.
I recall you saying that offer was pulled back but didn't realize the error on the age part. Bummer. I will need to pay close attention like u say if it looks too tempting.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Update: I did call our retirement office and they were pretty darn helpful. She mentioned "IRS 417E3" will be used interest rates. Then something about IRS RP-2000 for current actuarial tables etc. I guess I expected that they need to follow those guidelines.

Then age, yrs of service, gender etc.

The one mystery is she said the company "factor" is not quite ready yet. That will be available on our retirement estimator website on Feb 4th.

Is the "factor" what others refer to a haircut? Lol.
417(e)(3) is the IRS code section that deals with the interest rates. The mortality table is a 50% blend M/F table based on RP2000 projected several years statically past 2016.

the "factor" is an annuity factor that gets multiplied by either your accrued benefit or your immediate annuity (based on the interest rates and mortality described above) - if it isn't ready yet then they may be using December average rates which haven't been released yet
Old 01-13-2016, 04:10 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

I'm not in gravy mode unfortunately. My pension (or lump) if I take it needs to generate about 60% of my income stream
I assume the pension is non-COLA?

If you're really relying on the pension, you sure need to look seriously at taking the monthly check. At least I would.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:58 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post

If you're really relying on the pension, you sure need to look seriously at taking the monthly check. At least I would.
+1. In general, they give higher payouts compared to commercial annuities.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

There is also a "relative value" notice that will be in the packet. Definitely read that.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Wonder if Boeing will use the health information they are getting from us to determine if a pension buy out will be offered or not. I bet the person that has recorded a blood pressure 170/90 will not get a pension buy out offer!
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:14 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
Wonder if Boeing will use the health information they are getting from us to determine if a pension buy out will be offered or not. I bet the person that has recorded a blood pressure 170/90 will not get a pension buy out offer!
I doubt it
Old 01-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
417(e)(3) is the IRS code section that deals with the interest rates. The mortality table is a 50% blend M/F table based on RP2000 projected several years statically past 2016.

the "factor" is an annuity factor that gets multiplied by either your accrued benefit or your immediate annuity (based on the interest rates and mortality described above) - if it isn't ready yet then they may be using December average rates which haven't been released yet
Thanks---the makes sense yes. Appreciate the input. I did some reading over on the BH site and there is a great thread on this subject too. One factor they point out is the tax impact of taking the annuity vs lump. I had not thought about that until I read that thread. Hopefully it's not bad from to attach info from BH on this site.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie....php?p=2016199
Old 01-14-2016, 09:33 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
That crossed my mind as well now that we need to submit our health screening numbers and do that health assessment as well (unless you want to pay another $100 a month). Not certain that would be legal actually.

I believe it might come down to taking our expected pension income stream over our life expectancy (83 for me I believe), then use the IRS interest rate and discount it back to a present value number. I did call Total Access Pension office yesterday.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post

Yes, non-COLA for our pension but it's been than a poke in the eye right

Tags
pension