Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

This is sort of off topic but I can't help it, I am feeling SO ornary right now....I was a very bad girl at work today. Here's the low down:

First, I have to tell you that this past August 14 (my birthday), I made a decision to chose Aug 14 2010 as my target ER date, with a caveat that I am free to change my mind. It's a decision that helps me get through each day at a really bad job. NO ONE at my work knows, or suspects, and won't find out until August 1. Second, I have to tell you that it my department has been total chaos and stress and overtime, and everyone is a little bitter and burned out. So....I just couldn't help myself today - I started a benign rumor. We had just finished a management meeting in which we were informed that a huge project looms right around the corner and we won't be getting any extra bodies to assist, and someone mentioned that "staff is going to freak out". That's when I said, "yeah, I know! In fact, I am aware of at least one person that intends to leave, they are so fed up". He looked at me and waited for me to whisper a name, but I didn't. I am just delighted that no one has a clue I am planning my exit, and they really will FREAK OUT because I am one leg of a 3-legged management stool, and if I depart, the other 2 legs are going to be in a great deal of doo doo. I am certain they will ask me to go part time, or to contract, and I will listen, but I won't bite. "I, um, have other plans, thanks."

Thank you for letting me speak my truth iin all its hatefulness and bad karma. They (the corp) have pushed me to this attitude, and the great thing is that I am GRATEFUL. I feel like I have won the lottery, and find it quite easy to break a smile in the midst of tough situations at work.

To bring this post back around to the topic of ER nerds, I have my faithful spreadsheet that I created the first week I began my career, and I am proud that I still use it nearly every single day. I have been feverishly revising it lately though, to account for this early ER journey. Indeed, the subject of ER is a hobby, and I actually get endorphins playing with the numbers.
queeneev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Good for you, queeneev!

You can have fun watching the rumor wander around your department, morphing as it goes...

ta,
mew
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

...when it makes perfect sense to you to figure out array functions in Excel so you can predict your retirement 51.02 months in advance.

...when you predict your retirement date to the second decimal place of precision.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
You run retirement calculators to see if you can retire....even after you have been retired for 10 yrs.
LOL!

Constantly recalculate your SWR at current portfolio value. In fact, have WR calculated for several spending levels automatically updated every time you review your AA, "just in case" you have to make adjustments in your expenses.

Even after 10 years......

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:13 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
You run retirement calculators to see if you can retire....even after you have been retired for 10 yrs.
According to Otar, we should be doing that anyway, at least for the first few years!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #46
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
According to Otar, we should be doing that anyway, at least for the first few years!
That is what kept me sane through the big drop . Running firecalc and still being 100% okay .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I am not sure that I am an "ER" nerd. I am just a nerd. I still like to w*rk if a good project comes along.

However, I like to count my money on a spreadsheet, or to be exact, with MS Money. Here's my avatar.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

when.......I created a spreadsheet in 2008 to better calculate my projected revenues and expenses in retirement and named it, "RETIRE", and added or changed something in it at least once a day.
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote