Join Early Retirement Today

You probably need 25 to 30 times your current salary saved to retire??????
Old 04-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You probably need 25 to 30 times your current salary saved to retire??????

I was watching an NHPTV show on retirement yesterday and the "expert" they were interviewing
rolled out the old chestnut that,

"you probably need 25 to 30 times your current salary saved to retire."

why does this myth persist, surely 15 to 20 times your expenses is a better way to assess what you'll need.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: You probably need 25 to 30 times your current salary saved to retire??????
Old 04-18-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lord, 30 times my latest salary(gross) would be unachievable. Many old threads on this topic here.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
Lord, 30 times my latest salary(gross) would be unachievable. Many old threads on this topic here.
Its not really the numbers, but the persistance of the myth that amazes me. Why is salary taken as an indicator of what you need to live on? If you hope to retire you obviously need to save, so salary is no measure of your current or future need for money. I have my own opinions about why salary is used, but would be interested in yours.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Old 04-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by none
I was watching an NHPTV show on retirement yesterday and the "expert" they were interviewing

why does this myth persist, surely 15 to 20 times your expenses is a better way to assess what you'll need.
Because most people who haven't saved at all:
1. Need to be scared into saving
2. Haven't saved because they are living beyond their means.

Ditto for the "you need 90% of your salary" myth.

Tom

teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:31 PM   #5

This isn't just getting mixed up with the "you need 25 times your annual expenses to retire" (the 4% SWR) rule, is it?
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #6

30 x's my pathetic salary? not a problem.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Couple thoughts, unfortunately:
- Many people have no idea what their expenses are, but they do know what their salary is.
- Many people's expenses are equal or greater than their salary, so salary is the right number to use, heck maybe it's even conservative!

That said, I think the numbers they are using are crazy, I'd be working forever.
Behan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans

Tom

Exactly, what gets me is that nobody points out the contradiction in expert advice ie.if you save for retirement you have to be able to live off less than your salary, when the 20x salary would suggest that you will be spending your entire salary, assuming a 5% return and maintaining your capital.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behan
Couple thoughts, unfortunately:
- Many people have no idea what their expenses are, but they do know what their salary is.
- Many people's expenses are equal or greater than their salary, so salary is the right number to use, heck maybe it's even conservative!

That said, I think the numbers they are using are crazy, I'd be working forever.
Then these folks have no hope of saving for retirement.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:39 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans

You hit the nail on the head. The problem, of course, is that lines like that freak people out to the point that they shrug and say "why bother?", instead of saving what they can. now, while some folks may be looking for those sorts of excuses to avoid LBYM, I'm not looking forward to having to support these folks in years to come. Lack of opportunities/education is one issue, and I'm quite happy to have my taxes/donations go to fixing those social ills--I see it as my responsibility as someone who won the birth lottery. However, lack of self-control is quite another matter.
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #11

Quote:

As others have said, for most people this is not a myth, since most people live at or above their means, and for the majority of people, they really do need 25 times their salary to live comfortably in retirement at the same level pre retirement.

Of course, for those of us who LBYM, this rule is inapplicable. It's not how much you make that counts, it's how much you spend. Most people just don't get that though.
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Its not really the numbers, but the persistance of the myth that amazes me. Why is salary taken as an indicator of what you need to live on? If you hope to retire you obviously need to save, so salary is no measure of your current or future need for money. I have my own opinions about why salary is used, but would be interested in yours.
I disagree to an extent. I do agree a person needs to save "based on expenses" and not "based on salary". BUT, and huge BUT.

salary drives spending... spending does NOT drive salary in any way shape or form. And current salary is also a reasonably successful predictor of future salary.

So if a person is 20-30 years away from retirement, they don't know what they'll be spending in 20-30 years, but they have a good idea of what they'll make, which will be an indication of what they'll spend.

For me, I am shooting to save about 25-33x my current salary (and I'm 20 years from ER and 30 years from normal retirement). I know when I get close to examine what I have saved relative to what I spend (at that time).

Because of inflation, if I figure out what I spend now, and try to save that NOW, I would fall short because surely in 20 years the stuff would cost more.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh

salary drives spending... spending does NOT drive salary in any way shape or form.
I'm not sure this is exactly true as it implies that people's spending is controlled by their salary and the level of debt in the US would argue against this. I think that spending is driven by advertising and the prevailing capitalistic culture that encourages consumption and gives everyone the tools to live beyond their means,ie credit cards and sub-prime mortgages.

Retirement experts should not give advise about how much you need to retire, rather given your age they should tell you what percentage of your current expenses you need to save

Old 04-18-2007, 02:54 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I think that spending is driven by advertising and the prevailing capitalistic culture that encourages consumption and gives everyone the tools to live beyond their means,ie credit cards and sub-prime mortgages.
So given this then, the 25x salary number is actually TOO conservative !!

i.e. if I'm not surviving right now on my salary, how will I make it on xx% of my salary in retirement?

- John
runchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:13 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I suspect most people think in terms of salary = after tax income. And 25x that, adjusted for discounted pension income and Social Security, would probably be about right for a 25 year life expectancy.
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:41 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh
salary drives spending... spending does NOT drive salary in any way shape or form. And current salary is also a reasonably successful predictor of future salary.
Wow - - thank goodness I have more self control than to allow salary to drive spending. I suspect that salary does not drive spending for most people here.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by runchman
So given this then, the 25x salary number is actually TOO conservative !!

i.e. if I'm not surviving right now on my salary, how will I make it on xx% of my salary in retirement?

- John
Yes! its way too conservative for people who actually plan to ER and live comfortably in retirement because the "secret" is to LBYM and save and once the house is paid for your living expenses fall dramatically.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire
Wow - - thank goodness I have more self control than to allow salary to drive spending. I suspect that salary does not drive spending for most people here.
I think you are right. What I think many families find is that they have large fixed outgoings like mortgage, medical, college fees, car payments, and credit card debt or loan repayments. These leave them little to save for retirement and unfortunately now that most employees have lost the non-contributory defined benefit pension plan they have to pay for this out of their salary.

What frightens me is that we are always being encouraged to spend on material goods and financial experts are also trying to get us to save unrealistically large amounts for retirement.....stop the madness, if we live more frugally we'll have money left over to save and we'll need a smaller amount in retirement because
our exspense are less.

PS who thinks that the loss of pensions and the introduction of 401ks was basically a 10 to 20% pay cut for most of us....?

Old 04-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think if they simply changed the rule of thumb to be 25x your take home pay, everything would be ok. Now for those people who save a significant amount of money outside of their 401K plans it would be too pessimistic, but since most people have little saving outside of retirement it would a reasonable
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:05 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I really wonder what IS going to happen to the masses. We prepared ER message-boarders are probably in the vast minority, and we still worry -

We debate the nuances of 3 vs 4% swrs, paying off mortgages or not, etc, while most blissfully go along their merry way figuring "It'll work out for me somehow" while they save diddly squat.

Even in my line of work, engineering, where people are pretty math-centric, interest in investing is pretty low.

Maybe if financial security isn't on the minds of these folks now, well then maybe they won't be bothered by not having it when retirement age comes around either?

I just hope we don't end up paying for them in some way

- John
runchman is offline   Reply With Quote