Your 2013 Investment Return

How about Wheeee-Doggies then? (Sorry, caught "The Beverly Hillbillies" this morning so it was on my mind...)

25% with a 50 / 50 portfolio. Happy New Year to all !
Did you let some additions creep in there? A 50/50 portfolio probably couldn't have done better than 20% even if you had 50% DODGX and 50% cash. In other words - you would have had to have a 50% gain on the equity half of your portfolio to gain 25% overall.

Last edited:
15.5% so far, with a few distributions still straggling in until Jan 2. No bond allocation, but quite a bit of cash and tons of international equities.

Our return is about 12.5% which seems low compared to others, but we only have about 28% of the portfolio in US stocks which was the place to be in 2013.

Our return is about 12.5% which seems low compared to others, but we only have about 28% of the portfolio in US stocks which was the place to be in 2013.
Yes - the allocation determines most of the return. But a 50/50 allocation with 50% in S&P500 and breaking even for FI would have seen a 16.4% return, so you aren't that low.

What? Nobody was invested in intermediate-term bonds and emerging markets this year? The bond index was down about 2% and the emerging markets index was down more than 5%.

a little less than 17% (51-29-20; now 60.5-25-15)

I ended up with 17.2%. I had stock and cash, no bonds.

While I trail the s/p by 12%, I have no regrets. When I got to 15%, I decided that I did not need the risk and moved a lot of money from stocks to cash. Thus I missed a lot of the gains of the last few months.

My retirement budget was based on getting a minimum of 3% per year, so I basically got 5 years worth of profits. I can afford to be very conservative for a while.

13.51 last year'portfolio vs this year's. About 16 if I take expenses out of the picture and look at growth of the remaining portfolio.

17.1%.....

A damn site better than .01% at the local bank!!!!!

I'm happy!!!....

I LIKED 2013!!!!!!

Please may we have another year like this last one thank you!!!!

Vanguard says 15.8% 62/32/5, cash is high, but I have my 2 years living expenses already.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
12% after tax return on 50/45/5

I had a lot of my equities in international equities so obviously I did not do as well as I could have.

24%
AA changed from 70/30 to 90/10 in the summer
Equities approx 50% canadian / 50% us
Kicked butt against the canadian benchmark since I was heavily overweight cdn financials. However, slightly lagged the S/P 500 on the us investments.

Last edited:
15.44% on 50/28/22... I'm quite happy with it. I have a lot in cash, but that is to cover planned withdrawals until SS kicks in, so I won't be forced to sell equities during that time.

Overall, my portfolio was up 19.77%.

The bottom 3 were negative, and of course were bond funds (FIDO Total Bond and GNMA, along with VG Intermediate Term Investment Grade).

Top 3 were:
Ariel Appreciation (CAAPX) at +40.16%
Vanguard Heath Care (VGHCX) at +38.08%
Neuberger Berman Genesis (NBGEX) at +33.31%

Can't complain for a portfolio that is rated "balanced" at 52/28/20 (Equity/Bond/Cash). Also, since I'm in the drawdown phase, I'm not looking for that next big opportunity (thank goodness that's over with :LOL: )... I'm content with a 6% return, long term.

I'm the lagger here. Up only 9% if you count only dividends and interest. Have a 60/30/10 split, but half my equities are in a single stock that did nothing this year.

A little over 11% with a 50/40/10 allocation.
My S & P fund led the charge in performance. My fixed were pretty flat with yield added - biggest loser was my TIPs, down about 5% with distributions added...
No complaints here!

I'll be low man on this scale for sure. Haven't done the math but I know we're in single digit range. Half our portfolio is munis, and half the equity is international and emerging.

19.1 %
Vanguard health care , SP 500 & extended Market were the big winners !

Back
Top Bottom