Your 2013 Investment Return

45.1% - this is the time weighted return, net of dividends, commissions, margin debt interest and not including any deposits/withdrawals during the year.
Whoa! A gunslinger in our midst. ;)

Reminds me of some of my better years in the 1980's and 1990's. Before I got to retirement. Often 100% invested. When I was up big, I actually had dreams of flying.

I never tried margin.

Whoa! A gunslinger in our midst. ;)

Reminds me of some of my better years in the 1980's and 1990's. Before I got to retirement. Often 100% invested. When I was up big, I actually had dreams of flying.

I never tried margin.

Used leverage when I was working. Can really juice returns when the market is up 30% and interest rates at 3%. Stopped borrowing when I retired.

My best year ever was 2003, when I clocked 39.5% according to my notes. The S&P return was around 30% that year, due to the rebound from a crash. I was never more than 80% in equities, and definitely not leveraged. I needed to hold a lot of cash actually, as my consulting work always dried up during recessions and I needed money to live on through lean years. Boy, I picked good stocks (call it luck, I don't care), and made so much money up to 2008.

From the bottom in 2003 to the top in 2007, I was up more than 2.4X (S&P was up 1.7X in the same time frame) despite heavy expenses. Those were the good days.

PS. I never have more than 2 or 3% in any single stock. Even now, my largest position is Berkshire, and it is only 2.7% of portfolio despite being a conglomerate.

Last edited:
IRR of 19.8% on a 100% individual stock portfolio. I am satisfied with it - nice dividend and earnings increases all around - and I often trail the market in big up years since the stocks I invest in tend to move around a bit less than the market as a whole.

Vangaurd Site has it as 13.9% for a 50/50 Portfolio, I balanced once when the Asset Allocation had creeped up to 55/45.

In addition the CDs about 10% of the total value would have brought down the total returns I guess to about 11% or so.

I am happy with the return, no changes in the portfolio predicted for 2014, at this point in life it does not matter if the investments do not make a killing, but losing any of what I have accumulated will hurt.

19%, but that includes home equity. (My area appreciated around 28%.) It's sort of a rough estimate because I look at the change in net worth, not strict investment returns so I did a calculation that was:

((End of 2013 net worth) - (2013 Income) + (2013 Spending) - (End of 2012 net worth)) / (End of 2012 net worth) = 19%

My actual investment allocation is 50/50, but the 50% in fixed is mostly very high yield private money lending at 10%+.

16.09% overall for us. 0.16% for my bond funds. 29.03% for my stock funds.

Domestic equities outperformed international. High yield bond returns helped offset slight losses on investment grade bond funds.

Last edited:
Four funds:

401(k)
FFTHX: 18.19%
FBALX: 18.24%
PTTDX: -1.23%

Roth
PRNHX: 44.68%

401K did 27.7% in 2013 according to VG at 86.4%/13.6%/0% and that makes me very happy.
Portfolio allocated to VWENX (38.97%), VHCAX (20.23%), VWILX (20.10%) and VEXRX (20.70%).

32.2% Didn't realize the market had done so well until yesterday. I figured out the end of year net worth statement. Compare to 2012's net worth statement was quite the shock. Need a few more shocks like this.

6.07% after living expense distributions; I'm very conservative and continue to hold a high % in cash waiting for a correction.

38% with only dividends used to purchase more shares, no out of pocket money added for the year. Also, dividend income grew 12.2%, which to me is just as important. Only made one sell trade (E) all year.

XIRR doesn't like me, Vanguard says 23.8%. My back-of-the-envelope is 23.79%.

My equation = [(end value - 1/2 * additions) / (begin value + 1/2 * additions)] - 1 * 100

I like these threads. Forces me to calculate it until I can find the performance tab in Vanguard, and record it in this thread for posterity.

50/50: VTSAX - Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Admiral Shares and VFWAX - Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US Index Fund Admiral. This is just for my Roth.

Haven't seen the statement from DW's and my 457's, similar to Vanguard LifeStrategy Growth Fund (VASGX), which was 21.2% without adjusting for contributions or different ER's.

-CC

Last edited:
2.28%:facepalm:

At least I beat inflation.

9.12% after tax return on 35/55/10 AA

Also, annuitized 10% of portfolio at an 8% rate and am very happy about that.

Last edited:
12.5%

The last three years have been great for us. We had 85 percent in cash prior to the crash (cashed out options and decided to hold cash for a while). Moved to 50/60 percent equities over the past three years. All under professional management with conservative outlook.

The real bonus has been significant increases vis a vis the rate of inflation over the past three years. It has made a significant difference to the real value of our accounts.

Our AA is 50/40/10. Mostly with Vanguard. Our return was approx. 13%. But more importantly, our net worth (excluding home equity) increased 10%.

Here's the really weird thing. My net worth has increased 40% over the last two years (since I retired) compared to 32% over the last two years that I worked (and was still saving and investing for retirement).

I knew I should have retired earlier!! :D

According to the Morningstar portfolio manager, our personal returns on a 60/40 portfolio was 24+ percent. That would be a little low, as it did not consider returns from some of the FI holdings not in bonds, but that's close enough for government work...

Back
Top Bottom