Your 2013 Investment Return

For the record, my % in the post above does not include additions.

With additions, I would say about 15-20% increase.

My equation = [(end value - 1/2 * additions) / (begin value + 1/2 * additions)] - 1 * 100

-CC

According to the Morningstar portfolio manager, our personal returns on a 60/40 portfolio was 24+ percent. That would be a little low, as it did not consider returns from some of the FI holdings not in bonds, but that's close enough for government work...

If equities were ~25-35% and fixed income were flat or down slightly, how does a 60/40 portfolio return 24+%?

As some points of reference, the Vanguard 2020 Fund is ~60/40 and returned 15.6% last year, Total Stock was 33.5%, Total International Stock was 15.1%, Total Bond was -2.2%.

16.76% with a 55/45 allocation. I'm very content with it.

And, with a couple of last day dividends added in, the final number is 16.84% which I'm still content with.

My 3 IRA accounts with no additions or subtractions were up 26.9% my AA was generally around 80/10/10. This I know is an accurate number.

Overall the Schwab portfolio tool says that all my accounts had return of 24.69% barely beating vs my moderate aggressive benchmark (80/15/5) of 24.65%. My actual portfolio was 80/9/11. However, risk matters and I was pleased to see my risk percentage (standard deviation) was a full 4% percent below the benchmark (9.4 vs 13.8). On markets like this year, where the market is fairly valued and perhaps over valued I'd rather be taking less risk. Over the last 5 years I averaged 17.9% vs 14.8% with a slightly lower risk.

My total liquid assets increased by 21.2%. Now this is my general question, while 90+% of my assets are at Schwab. The Penfed CD (even the 5% ones) and Vanguard GNMA obviously dragged down the performance (not mind you that I am complaining about the crazy high number). But the more important thing was living expenses, plus I payed of $25K on my home equity loan used to purchase Vegas properties, and spent $30K on capital improvements on the house Solar, and Phase 1 of the Kitchen remodel.

How do people account for these?

Hell even my real estate was up a lot (especially Vegas properties) so my overall my net worth increased by 20.0%.
One for the record books, I love bull markets. I hope a mod will stick this thread in the best of section so we can reflect back on it during the next bear market.

Last edited:
For the record, my % in the post above does not include additions.

With additions, I would say about 15-20% increase.
Nobody includes additions in that way to calculate their annual return, except for the Beardstown Ladies. I believe the post you referenced included them on both top and bottom as a way of averaging out the effect of investments that were only active part of the year.

12.5% 48/49/3

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

....My equation = [(end value - 1/2 * additions) / (begin value + 1/2 * additions)] - 1 * 100

While your equation works, a more typical construct would be return/investment or:

(ending value - beginning value - additions)/(beginning value + 50% * additions)

Last edited:
While your equation works, a more typical construct would be return/investment or:

(ending value - beginning value - additions)/(beginning value + 50% * additions)

Yeah, it gives the same 23.79% return. Yours is a more elegant equation, though. Mine seems easier to remember, for me.

-CC

Last edited:
11.5% 40/35/25 AA

I'm disappointed about the return on bonds, but overall I'm pretty happy.

I posted earlier that I thought my TSP gains would be around 20%. I was a little optimistic. Actual number was 17.45%. Not to bad but should have been better. I got a little nervous around the 1st of December & reduced my equities...should have held on tight.

23.36% - 401(k) (Developed Int'l, EM, Stable Value, US Small/Mid)
10.30% - SEP-IRA (VGENX, Total Bond, Total US, Total Int'l, High Yield)
10.40% - Roth-IRA (Int'l Value, REIT)
01.20% - Taxable (LT Tax Free, MMF, VGENX)

AA by class:
30% Int'l
28% US Large
12% US Small/Mid
15% Total Bond
05% LT Bond
05% High Yield Bond
05% Stable Value

Total Return across all accounts was in the neighborhood of 14.8%.

Last edited:
21.97% return with cash/fixed income ranging from 40% at the beginning and down to 20% at the end of the year. I decided to go with dividend stocks instead of bonds for now, so I'll have a large equity allocation for now.

40% in the Vanguard 401K.

I'm 90% stocks in S&P 500, Life Strategy Moderate and Growth, PRIMECAP, Windsor II, Selected Value. Just starting contributing more to International Value and Growth funds.

I am astounded! Also worried I should go more conservative now. But what:confused: Age 55 now but won't be withdrawing until 60 or later.

So far here is the bogleheads.org pole.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1388843897142.jpg
    1388843897142.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 72
26.7% total return.
Very happy with that. However, I am thrilled that we had a 12% increase in our dividend stream.

40% in the Vanguard 401K.

I'm 90% stocks in S&P 500, Life Strategy Moderate and Growth, PRIMECAP, Windsor II, Selected Value. Just starting contributing more to International Value and Growth funds.

I am astounded! Also worried I should go more conservative now. But what:confused: Age 55 now but won't be withdrawing until 60 or later.
You must've been really heavy in Selected Value since that's the only one that did better than 40% (and not by much), and the Life Strategy one was in the teens. Are you counting contributions as investment return?

13-14% with ~50 equities/~5 GLD (was higher!)/~5 rentals/~40 intermediate & short bonds + cash.

Beats me how some of you can figure this number to one, much less two decimals with all the fudgeries in real estate valuations, collectibles, unrealized gains, etc.

With 50% in stocks I only made about 9% on the year. Why? Because I calculate the overall value in EUR and over the year, it strengthened 8% against USD, 30% on JPY and 4% on GBP --- and 70% of my stocks are outside the Eurozone. It's nice when I visit the US to find that almost everything seems quite cheap, but I would not object to a 6-7% drop in the Euro...

Beats me how some of you can figure this number to one, much less two decimals with all the fudgeries in real estate valuations, collectibles, unrealized gains, etc.
I don't consider my house an investment, nor my collectibles since they are just small hobbies. The question wasn't the return on all assets. Unrealized gains is no issue with stocks and mutual funds since they had a closing market value on 12/31. 99+% of my investments are with Vanguard so I just used what they tell me my rate was and I assume they are properly accounting for withdrawals. VG gave me one decimal point so that's what I reported.

Back
Top Bottom