Your auto- what you're driving now

Attachments

• honda cub.jpg
    honda cub.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 183
Motorcycles is how I dealt with my track-day withdrawls but having a small child at home and having a few close calls with the cagers yakking on the cell phones I got rid of them all. I had 3 at one time- a classic, a 600cc sportbike and a 1300cc sports touring bike. Now I have boring cars but I'm also one of those who can appreciate even a Trabant/Yugo/some-neglected-rust-bucket so I'm OK most of the time.

will be picking up 95 firehawk vert next weekend. that will be my summer daily

... I am getting super tempted to buy something fun again. It's been a while since I had a bad-ass hellcat sort of a car but the frugal voice inside me keeps reminding me how far behind I am in my FI goals so I've been looking at the 'best bang for the buck' options. On that short list I've considered a used STi (to hop up) or a C5/6 Z06- more tempted by the latter as the perfect mid-life crisis car (which it suits me). Jeez, now I have to go look at Craigslist again...this is why I haven't been wanting to post in this thread.

And, in a recent thread, you were thinking of dropping your term life insurance that was costing you $50 a month?:)

And, in a recent thread, you were thinking of dropping your term life insurance that was costing you $50 a month?:)

$50 a month may be a car payment on a c4 vette. Those are cheap..but yeah, that's funny.

I had a golf buddy who's wife was always (monthly) trying to get him change insurance, phone or whatever providers so they could save $20 a month, then he'd go out and blow $500 on a new driver :facepalm:

Now you know why I was asking :LOL:
It's not that I can't afford a nice car, I just reached $500k in investments+savings...but I just don't think I should. I already have 3 cars (a daily driver, a fun car, an old pickup).

I just got a Chrysler 300 Anniversary edition on Friday. Went for a nice drive today to the Oregon coast and it handled beautifully in very twisty sections of the mountain roads. Amazed that such a heavy relatively large car handles so well and the 31 MPG average was another big surprise. The car is rated for 31 highway but the average of 31 I got was with mixed city and slow driving along with twisty mountain roads up and down.

I don't know what magic pixie dust they are able to pour into cars these days but I was quite happy years ago when I got the same average mileage from an econobox.

Earlier this year my wife and I decided to rid ourselves of my Acura TL Type S. It was a nice car, but low to the ground and becoming increasingly hard for me to get out of. My wife wouldn't drive it. So the search began for a new vehicle. We knew we wanted an SUV because of our plans to travel once I retired.

Ultimately we settled on a 2016 Volvo XC90. I love it! Large enough for us to pack up with luggage. Handles like a dream. Luxury features and loaded with safety options. It was a long search, but so far I've been very pleased with the car. We shopped against Lexus, Audi, BMW, Acura and Lincoln. Did a lot of test drives. In the end it was between the Lexus and the Volvo. The latter offered better cargo room and a roomier front cabin.

Earlier this year my wife and I decided to rid ourselves of my Acura TL Type S. It was a nice car, but low to the ground and becoming increasingly hard for me to get out of. My wife wouldn't drive it. So the search began for a new vehicle. We knew we wanted an SUV because of our plans to travel once I retired.

Ultimately we settled on a 2016 Volvo XC90. I love it! Large enough for us to pack up with luggage. Handles like a dream. Luxury features and loaded with safety options. It was a long search, but so far I've been very pleased with the car. We shopped against Lexus, Audi, BMW, Acura and Lincoln. Did a lot of test drives. In the end it was between the Lexus and the Volvo. The latter offered better cargo room and a roomier front cabin.

Do you know what engine is on the XC90:confused:

I been driving Volvo's for the past 20 plus years and currently have 3 of them at home. They are from the 90's but still going strong. There are probably more computers and electronic DIM's that will probably drive me crazy.

Do you know what engine is on the XC90:confused:

I been driving Volvo's for the past 20 plus years and currently have 3 of them at home. They are from the 90's but still going strong. There are probably more computers and electronic DIM's that will probably drive me crazy.

On our new car we have a four cylinder turbo charged/super charged engine. Considering it's only four cylinders, I was amazed at how much get up and go it has. They recommend premium gas which at today's prices isn't a big deal. The engine is very smooth. I'm getting about 25 MPG overall. And you're right about the electronics. This one has a nice sized touch screen on the center dashboard. Use it to control just about everything. Car came with wireless internet connection which was sweet! I also bought it with Apple's Carplay software so I can hook up my iPhone and get Spotify for my music.

On our new car we have a four cylinder turbo charged/super charged engine. Considering it's only four cylinders, I was amazed at how much get up and go it has.
It's the Turbo that gives you the power. I drove an Audi A4 Quattro with Turbo for many years - very peppy and sipped that Premium gas.

Rita

Sold our 06 cayman S and bought a 15 vw gti fully loaded. Also we reprogrammed the chip in the gti for more power.

Wouldn't go back the the porsche, loving the gti's perfect balance of just about everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

It's the Turbo that gives you the power. I drove an Audi A4 Quattro with Turbo for many years - very peppy and sipped that Premium gas.

Rita

We almost didn't get it following the first test drive. I think they gave us a test car that wasn't properly tuned. It just didn't perform well, the engine was rough and had some hesitation, so we initially ruled it out. Later saw a great video review on YouTube showing the car in quite a bit of detail. The site, Alex on Autos was excellent and I highly recommend a visit if you're looking at a new car.

I gave the dealer another try and this time we came away impressed.

Sold our 06 cayman S and bought a 15 vw gti fully loaded. Also we reprogrammed the chip in the gti for more power.

Wouldn't go back the the porsche, loving the gti's perfect balance of just about everything.

GTIs are a nice bang for the buck. Did your reprogramming increase the boost pressure or was it more ignition timing related?

We got a 2009 PONTIAC AWD Vibe (= Toyota matrix). Good and reliable but we paid too much (had a trade in to get rid of). Next time, we will buy a 2910 in Canada.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

We got a 2009 PONTIAC AWD Vibe (= Toyota matrix). Good and reliable but we paid too much (had a trade in to get rid of). Next time, we will buy a 2910 in Canada.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

You are a very optimistic long-term planner, Ed!

GTIs are a nice bang for the buck. Did your reprogramming increase the boost pressure or was it more ignition timing related?

Both, and it was a very noticeable boost in power, very. Checkout the power curves on unitronic.ca

And it was amazing bang for the buck since we got it for 25k second hand from a meticulous owner pressured to sell from his 9month pregnant wife. Couldn't beat the deal anywhere for what msrps overs 35k. 6k miles on the odometer and a very good window tint job was already on it.

Last edited:
Both, and it was a very noticeable boost in power, very. Checkout the power curves on unitronic.ca

open source t00n or cobb ap?

2012 Toyota Prius. Not a blast to drive but the gas mileage is incredible. Overall cost of ownership is very low.

2012 Toyota Prius. Not a blast to drive but the gas mileage is incredible. Overall cost of ownership is very low.

I find them pretty good-looking, too. The latest one has amazing gas mileage, but looks too much like a Geo Prism. :nonono:

Got a pleasant surprise today; now that my car is 10 years old the license fee dropped from $92 to $69.

[FONT=&quot]We’re down to two vehicles:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] 2015 Toyota Yaris (Primary / Wife’s car)
1987 Suzuki Samurai (Beater / “My” vehicle)… It’s got around 250,000 miles on it, and keeps running. I’ve left it set for around six months, and then needed it, and it worked.[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom