Your auto- what you're driving now

have you looked at how cheap C4 vettes are? I almost bought one for $5K a few weeks ago. Heck I've seen low mileage C5s go for around $10K.

I know getting a vette isn't in the spirit of LBYM, especially since I have 3 cars but it's one of those things I promised myself I'd do when I was a kid.

Go price a numbers matching C2, or even a non-NM one that is respectable and not cut up. Crazy.

Even though I now drive a VW diesel, actually two of them, they are on a short stick until I can find the right C5 convertible. You know, the one that is garaged 9 months of the year, has all the correct options, has all the service receipts, is not black on black, and has less than 50K miles on it. Then the VW's go.

DW will get to keep her Santa Fe.

2008 KIA optima 145K miles - spouse's commuter car for his 46 mile daily drive and our around town errand runner. My son will probably inherit it when we replace it in 3-4 years with a similar sized newer used car. By the time he gets it is will be into the 200K+ range... Replacement car will last longer since retirement will be not too long after replacing the KIA.

2012 Nissan Xterra with offroad package 40K miles - my toy. Bought it 2 summers ago and love it. (I get subsidized public transportation to work so no worries about the lower gas mileage on this vehicle - it is for playtime/fun mountain adventure. I really only drive it on the weekends.)

1995 Suburban - 236K miles - that I bought way back in 2002. It used to be my main "soccer mom" vehicle but it mostly sits now. A huge gas guzzler, but it was great for hauling lots of kids and gear. Since it only costs me $20/month extra insurance, I keep if for a "lot car" for when I go to the airport and have to leave it sit at the public park-n-ride lots - nobody is gonna steal or vandalize the beast while I am gone. (I throw about $20 worth of gas in every 2 or 3 months and have not had any fix it expenses except for a new battery in the last 3 years. Tags are only about $80/year. I haven't seen the need to get rid of it yet. When it starts to cost me repair money then I will sell it for salvage or else donate it to a charity.)

Oh, and I have an antique up on blocks to restore - that will be one of my hobbies when I do retire (1914 Ford Model T that belonged originally to grandparents.)

Yep, some people only use cars for transportaion ... but how boring would that make life if a few gearheads didn't have some fun with their automobiles too.....

Even though I now drive a VW diesel, actually two of them, they are on a short stick until I can find the right C5 convertible.

last time I was in H-town there were a few for sale in the Woodlands - check CL

2006 Honda Pilot with 165K - kids and road trip car
2012 Chevy Volt with 60K - wife's car
2014 BMW i3 with 28K - my car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2012 Nissan Xterra with offroad package 40K miles - my toy. Bought it 2 summers ago and love it. (I get subsidized public transportation to work so no worries about the lower gas mileage on this vehicle - it is for playtime/fun mountain adventure. I really only drive it on the weekends.)....

How does that compare to a Wrangler Rubicon? Lockers? Sway bar disconnect? Low gears? etc. I belong to a large off road group and I don't recall seeing Xterras in the group. See them on the road and they look nice.

I'm driving a 2001 Chevy s-10 with about 160k miles.

Anyone with an Audi RS7 or BMW M4? Worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

mine: 2016 Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid
DH: 2015 Toyota Avalon XLE
previous Toyos ran over 250,000, the van almost 300,000 miles before we traded in.

We need a road trip car and an "around town car".

2010 Grand Caravan, 2008 Chevy Cobalt.

I wonder how many FIRE's like me, have never bought a brand new car, never will and have never had a car payment. It is one of my golden rules......

Last new car purchased was in 1989, since then all used vehicles. Never spent more than $20K for any vehicle.

Did short term financing (under a year) in 1974 due to cash flow issues and in 1985 under a HELOC.

My wife and I have multiple cars, we use the one that fits the mood/task.

For me:
Daily driver: Model S
Weekend fun: Model S
Driving Vacations: Model X
Towing, bike hauler: Model X

What are these?

Sorry, those would be a Tesla 70D Model S and Tesla 90D Model X.

image.jpg
Sorry about the lousy pic.

DD 2004 Corolla 220,000 miles my old commuter car, I gave it to her in 2010, still runs great.
DS 2006 Impreza 65,000 miles my bad weather commuter car, I gave it to him in 2014,
Hardly broken in runs fine.
DW 2004 Trailblazer 180,000 miles, some recent issues but none to bad.
Me 2010 Corolla 218,000 miles no issues, great car.

Just got a 2016 Tesla model x 90d.

Hands down best thing I've ever bought. Amazing drive, great tech and no problems so far (expecting some).

Putting kids in car seats is so easy. Decent storage. Not enough people know what it is so I don't get any annoying stares, questions or comments :).

Bear in mind last car was 2005 Honda civic so... pretty big leap in quality. If I had an X5 or Cayenne it might not seem so great?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Yeah, "Model S" without the manufacturer wasn't too clear, sorry about that.:blush:

I wasn't sure if you had all Tesla's or were sliding in a conventional car. VW is one of the manufacturers that continues to us model S, SE, and SEL.

2012 Taurus (company car,) 2010 Saab Vert (wife), and 2004 Ford Sport Trac.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Petershk, are you mixing up quality with cost and luxury? I would be very surprised to hear that any of those expensive cars was of higher quality than a Honda Civic?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Just sold 1992 Toyota pickup after 23 yrs of ownership <sniff, sniff>

All purchased used:

2001 Volvo
2005 Camry (inherited)
2007 Mercedes C class
2012 Mercedes M class
1995 Harley (dust collector)

I just bought a 2016 BMW M3. I need a sedan and I wanted one more "dream car" before I get too old to drive it. (I'm 73)

I am trying to convince myself as well using that same logic.:D

Back
Top Bottom