Your auto- what you're driving now

For sure, but as long as I can do it, I will. Maybe keeping the sporty cars keeps us young and flexible a little longer than otherwise?
Now if only a sports car would prevent and/or cure arthritis. I can see Madison Avenue having a heyday with this one. "Buy this sports car and never suffer from the aches and pains of aging again!" Maybe Medicare would pay for it. :D

2009 Porsche cayman, bought used just this last February. I think it cries every day on my commute, which is pretty much straight-as-an-arrow up Chicagoland 355, because it wants those twisties you are talking about!

Attachments

• IMG_20160130_174353376.jpg
    IMG_20160130_174353376.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 20
2009 Porsche cayman, bought used just this last February. I think it cries every day on my commute, which is pretty much straight-as-an-arrow up Chicagoland 355, because it wants those twisties you are talking about!

Sweet ride. It's refreshing to see that others on this forum are car enthusiasts. When I saw this post I thought 90% would say "I drive a 1996 Toyota Camry" or Honda Accord. Maybe that is more the boggleheads crowd?

I sometimes wonder how much more I would have in my retirement savings if I had done that (Camry, Accord). Ha.

Most of the folks on the car forums I read "hope" to have a P car like yours someday. Good call. Cheers.

I really like it and a couple of reasons top the list:

1. The fuel mileage is incredible for a three ton truck. I recently took it on a 3K mile road trip thru several states and averaged 27 mpg.

2. I've also been towing a travel trailer with it and average 18-19 mpg when doing so. Gas equivalents only see 9-12mpg.

I looked at Ford Ecoboost and while those trucks have almost drag-car acceleration and higher tow ratings the fuel economy really drops when towing a load. I think the Ram ED rides better but that's subjective.

Also looked at Chevy (couldn't get a diesel in a 1/2 ton) and the new Nissan Titan XD but it's a larger diesel in a somewhat larger truck and doesn't get anywhere near the fuel economy. Not to mention it's priced very high.

I think Ram nailed it with this combination. The only possible negative is there have been a high number of reported engine failures requiring total replacement. Formal cause is unknown but user forum buzz speculates inadequate oil spec because of viscosity issues and the crank bearings not receiving sufficient lube during cold conditions. This is also not a truck that's suitable for short trips to the grocery store. It needs to get warmed up and run at operating temps, something that can take awhile with a diesel. If I'm going somewhere that's less than 10 miles round trip, I'll take my Jeep.

I've had mine since March and have put 4500 miles on it. No issues so far.

Thanks for the summary. As of yesterday, the VW announced (tentative until approved) buyback plan will take me out of my 2014 Passat with a high dollar amount. I will probably start looking for a clean used Ecodiesel as a replacement in the Fall.

BMW X5d (as in diesel), a BMW 330 CiC (as in convertible) and a Porsche 993 (as in last of the air cooled 911s). The X5d is the workhorse (and boy is it). The others are more (the convertible) or less (the 993) low mileage toys.

Last edited:
For sure, but as long as I can do it, I will. Maybe keeping the sporty cars keeps us young and flexible a little longer than otherwise?

Saw episode of Jay Leno's Garage where Nick Cannon claimed he likes sports cars because the women like them. And he drives slow. I never looked at it that way, but maybe he has a point:D.

Saw episode of Jay Leno's Garage where Nick Cannon claimed he likes sports cars because the women like them. And he drives slow. I never looked at it that way, but maybe he has a point:D.

I'm 66 and happily married. This would be of no interest to me but a sporty, expensive drive has always been a magnet for the, shall we say, more "superficial" of the opposite sex.

Last edited:
None - cars are completely unnecessary where I live and there's a tax of up to 115% on cars here.

That said, I'm getting really tempted to get something small like a VW Golf just for the hell of it.

Anyone here have the Canyon/Colorado diesel? I'm considering a used one in a few years to replace the Subaru Legacy for offroading and a medium trailer (DW will keep the Forester). Like the RAM also but it's too big.

Thanks for the summary. As of yesterday, the VW announced (tentative until approved) buyback plan will take me out of my 2014 Passat with a high dollar amount. I will probably start looking for a clean used Ecodiesel as a replacement in the Fall.

***********Driving Mercedes for Hyundai money***********

Living in Florida, there is no shortage of used low mileage luxury cars with no rust. For over 20 years, I've kept with used Mercedes and drive them to the end. This year we traded a 1998 E420 with 198,000 miles for my wife's 2013 GLK 350 SUV. Last year I gave my son the old 2002 S430 with 145,000 miles (120,000 miles by me) so I could get a 2007 S550 with 44,000 miles. The S class's averaged $90,000 each new - we bought them used for an average of $22,000 each. During this time I've taken up the hobby of auto mechanics, and gotten quite good at it.

This would be of no interest to me but a sporty, expensive drive has always been a magnet for the, shall we say, more "superficial" of the opposite sex.

Who really cares..... Whatever works...:)

Last edited:
Anyone here have the Canyon/Colorado diesel? I'm considering a used one in a few years to replace the Subaru Legacy for offroading and a medium trailer (DW will keep the Forester). Like the RAM also but it's too big.

Not yet but I plan to look at one later this year. The Ram Ecodiesel is more costly from what I can tell. Either way, I would buy used when the time comes.

2015 Prius. Mostly the wife's car, but an exceptional vehicle for hauling musical instruments and sound system. Only car we ever bought new.
2004 Tacoma, most basic model possible. Purchased w/160k, has 175k, has had zero repairs over its lifetime, we expect another 170k. We have land, a truck is nominally required.
2013 Infiniti G37 sedan manual trans, white. My mid-life crisis car. A thrill to carve the switchbacks while going uphill. 30k miles.

Same as last year - 1975 Pacer

Yours have 4 wheels. I have not posted on this thread because mine is a 2-wheeler, a Mobylette.

kk37_small.jpg

Talk about vehicle envy, I thought my tricked out bike with its 2-stroke 49cc engine was pretty cool until I ran across this guy with his twin engine. He left me in the dust! Life can be so unfair.

img_1754147_1_c6451405927ca9e8d1fc36876efcc433.jpg

Last edited:
I just traded my 2002 VW Bug for a 2013 Mini Cooper Coupe (roadster style). We added a speed chip and a special air filter but it's still not as fast as the Bug. My ride is cute, speedy and most importantly - inexpensive. 30 mpg.

2007 Acura TL-S, low mileage. I love this car--no regrets at all.

In fact, every time we're in to the dealership, they tell us they have a waiting list for a used TL-S. So I think I could get a decent price for it; I just don't want to let it go.

Sold 2010 Cayman S for M3 Killer: 2012 Boss 302

Daily is 2003 Explorer Sport Trac with 198k miles

DW has 2011 BMW 335i Convertible

No auto loans

Attachments

• BOSS1289r1.jpg
    BOSS1289r1.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Sorry, just modified as I noticed the Pic did not load. M3 killer is Boss 302 Mustang. :D

2002 Subaru Impreza RS, 43,075 miles on it. Thinking about getting a different car, something a little cushier, for my golden years. My mechanic said this car is popular with the young set, and I could get maybe $11,000 for it, given the low miles and great condition. It's a fun driver, I put a WRX swaybar on it, so it's snappy in the curves.

We also have a 1996 GMC Savana. It's a versatile rig for daily use, hauling and towing, and summer road trips. We'll probably upgrade that too, been looking at Sprinters, ProMasters, and the likes.

I just traded in a 2002 Ford Escape AWD for a 2016 Toyota RAV4 AWD Hybrid. I only have 400 miles on the car, but in a mix of highway and city driving, getting 37 mpg! EPA combined rating is 33 mpg. The car is quiet in city driving - runs on electric motor most of the time under 40 mph. The RAV4 is not a plug-in, it runs on regular 87 octane gas. This is my first hybrid - I'm impressed!

Back
Top Bottom