Your home a bad investment?

The more all y'all discuss why a house isnt an investment, the more it sounds like an investment! ;)

Gains, appreciation, leverage, avoiding to have to sell at below market prices...

e the word 'home' with 'equities' or 'bonds' and you've still got very cohesive statements...

only thing different is the long term gains. in most cases long term gains are about 1/3 to 1/2 of what equities returned . since tax reform your home has a nice tax advantage but gains still are way below equities.

dont forget we are not talking about buying a home as a fixer upper or special situation that allows one to buy way below market , we are talking just seeing a home you like , buying it at fair market and letting it do its thing for 20 years.

dont forget we are not talking about buying a home as a fixer upper or special situation that allows one to buy way below market , we are talking just seeing a home you like, buying it at fair market and letting it do its thing for 20 years.
I have been thinking about this in the context of CFB's experience. I have concluded that fixer upper or special situation purchases is comparable to value investing. The difference is that any handyman activity needs to be factored at out fair market value in order to see the real returns as an investment. Similarly FSBO also needs to be excluded, IOW deduct normal realtor fees from the transactions to compare with other equity investments.

Finally special situations in the market like bubbles can be compared to market timing or trading returns rather than buy and hold.

The more all y'all discuss why a house isnt an investment, the more it sounds like an investment! ;)

Gains, appreciation, leverage, avoiding to have to sell at below market prices...

Replace the word 'home' with 'equities' or 'bonds' and you've still got very cohesive statements...

Thankfully, my stocks don't have termites, and my bonds don't need painted...

Thankfully my rentals are paying 4-5% dividends (via rents). ^-^

Just ask me about liquidity. :(

CFB
Is there a way to see if it is really the same house, or if it had a massive upgrade and just has the same street address? Maybe a new foundation at least? Otherwise it is a really scary story about overvaluation in Calif real estate...

I was looking at it with the zillow 'birds eye view' satellite imagery, which is pretty darn good. Looks like its had a little work done, and i'm sure its had many layers of remodeling. Bottom line is that it seems to have returned 3x what the same amount invested in traditional investments would have produced. That leaves some room to do a few upgrades.

Thankfully, my stocks don't have termites, and my bonds don't need painted...
But you cant live in 'em. And "Hey, theres a big party over at my stock certificate tonight!!!" just doesnt cut it.

By the way, as is fairly common when we have these discussions...it seems that theres an urgent need to wrap it all up in technicalities, special rules, and dire parameters...probably to force the point we feel we desperately need to make. And this ones got a couple of emotional hairballs wrapped around it.

I'm not a flipper. I'm not calculating annualized gains going forward 10 years and calculating net present value of improvements, cash flows or any of this completely unnecessary hoo-hah.

I buy a house to live in. I look hard to find something I really like thats priced reasonably against the area and any work I want to do to it or that needs work. I buy in an area thats usually had a little excessive sales slide.

When I decide on a property, I show up with a ladder and a bag of tools do my own inspection for major problem areas and along with my offer I include a 4 page letter outlining how the property would be catching fire and exploding if it werent for all the leaks.

When I do improvements, I do so with an eye towards eventual resale value and use sweat equity, contractor relatives, cheap labor, 10% off coupons, one year no interest/no payment deals, and anything else I can use to slice into the price.

If and when the value has risen, four, seven, fifteen years later, i'm tired of living there or my circumstances call for a different kind of property...I sell at the highest price I can get, minimize my sales costs, and take the profit.

No profit and no big motivator to sell? Then I'd wait a while until there is. It still has the value of being a residence as well as an investment.

While this strategy has limitations for a working stiff that also has to deal with employability, an ER has no such limitations.

Pick an area that you'd like to live in, one that has upside potential (aka the "value investment"), find a property with funny paint or that is priced well below market but needs a little work, live in it and do a little of this and that as you go, and if and when you want to move and the prices have come up...sell it and make your profit.

But lets not make a stupid discussion out of this. I'm not running a spreadsheet every morning to see if today is the day we sell and run like mad animals down the street with our belongings strapped to our backs.:rolleyes:

If you choose to live in a non-appreciating area, to not spend a little time and money optimizing the value and livability of your home, to not take a little time to figure out how to do those improvements at low cost, or the home has to be placed in an emotional lockbox...then its just not for you! Some people dont like equities, bonds, gold, or beeever cheeeese.

However, that has little bearing on whether something is an investment or not.

We all talk about excruciating analysis of investments, carving into expense ratios, twiddling and slicing allocations, deep 100 year analysis of historical returns, construct complex simulators and run them ad nausem.

But jeez louise...spend some time on a half million dollar item with half an eye towards making money on it when you eventually sell? Inconceivable!

Zillow claims it's worth around $600K. Ten times appreciation, even in 35 years? Six-fold in 25? This is ridiculous

With the caveat that Zillow seems to be off by a factor of two as often as it is close to correct . . .

Over 35 years that is 6.8%. Over the 25 period that is 7.4%. Probably less that you could have made by passively investing in the stock market. And that's before you consider any of the costs of taxes, maintenance, labor, etc. And I dare say (in the Midwest at least) that would be a phenomenal example of price appreciation and most would be far, far lower.

I'm surprised by the number of posts that seem to be claiming that real estate (or stocks) are the better investment because the poster's experience has been so great. I guess I shouldn't be all that surprised since this seems to be a recurring theme on the board.

Whether it's 3 years or 30 years, we all know what past performance doesn't predict. Don't get me wrong - I own both property and stocks and and am happy with the performance of both - but I wouldn't trust anyone that claims one is better than the other because they've had a string of good historical returns on one vs. the other. Surely if someone could predict such things consistently, they would be ridiculously rich and wouldn't bother wasting their time on this board.

I think both are good investments, and both have their pros/cons. My experience has been that they both had good returns relative to their respective investment risk. No sense in trying to claim one's better than the other...

Yeah, bottom line is if one does his homework before making the commitment (to real estate OR stocks) he'll do well ... if not, it's up to lady luck -hit or miss, it's not to your credit.

To each his own.

Hmm...didnt see anyone claiming one was better than the other.

Certainly any opinion I've offered is that it seems a waste to pretend your house isnt there when you're planning your investments and that its possible to make a profit on your primary residence.

But folks who live in the middle of one of the low appreciation square states, either because they want to or have to, or willingly buy homes that they wont be able to make any money on...wont be able to take advantage of this.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. Buy a house you like thats a good value in an area likely to appreciate. Enjoy your house and fix it up. When its worth a bunch more, you feel like moving, and you can find a good value to move into...do it and bank your tax free profits.

I personally do not consider my home a "asset" due to it being a money drain and all the bills it produces. Maintenance & Upkeep, taxes, utility bills etc etc. Not to mention if you paid for 400,000 over 30 years for a house that cost 200,000. I think the general public think that since that house cost them 200,000 at closing 30 years ago, and they sold it for 300,000 they made a nice proffit. When in reality they lost 100k just off the interest, not counting buying lawn mowers/maintenance etc etc.

I personally consider my home a liability, or maybe a chip to exchange for another chip wherever I want to live.

I am not saying that you cannot make money buying or selling houses or anything like that, as many people have done just that.

I am just saying for the house I live in now, it gives me negative cash flow, and not positive cash flow.

Anyways just my 2 cents.

...do it and bank your tax free profits.
The fact that CGs can be rolled over into another home is definitely an advantage. Although it also works against owners considering cheaper rental alternatives, especially when it comes time to downsize in retirement.

Avoiding taxes is almost as strong an emotional driver as home ownership. It can drive people to do irrational things.

I never thought that making money was irrational. ;)

The CG rollover rules went out the window 10 years ago. Now if you've lived in the home as a primary residence for 2 of the last 5 years to qualify for a tax free gain of up to $500,000.

I could watch my current home double in value, sell it tax free, and go live in a hut. No problems with downsizing under the new tax rules.

If I make more than a half mil in profit selling my primary residence, I'll be pretty frickin pleased to write a little check to the feds ;)

I never thought that making money was irrational. ;)

The CG rollover rules went out the window 10 years ago. Now if you've lived in the home as a primary residence for 2 of the last 5 years to qualify for a tax free gain of up to $500,000.

I could watch my current home double in value, sell it tax free, and go live in a hut. No problems with downsizing under the new tax rules.

If I make more than a half mil in profit selling my primary residence, I'll be pretty frickin pleased to write a little check to the feds ;)

Makes perfect sense to me -- I always look at a residence this way as well, it can be both a home and an investment. Been in my current lake house almost ten years, paid $150K, currently valued at $600K. I will retire in September and am thinking about selling to relocate (and bank some equity).

Back
Top Bottom