Join Early Retirement Today

Your ideas/thoughts on what should to be done to return to healthy economy grow.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Your ideas/thoughts on what should to be done to return to healthy economy grow.

I understand that most of us are not economists by training yet what do you think should be done to return to healthy economy grows?
I could be wrong but think that our problems come from big negative trade dis balance for many years. The largest is with China. Therefor the ideas of some unorthodox politicians who calls for fair trade rules, up to trade control might work and return at least some manufacturing back to US. Like if we sell to China $116 billions then same amount of imports from China is not taxed. Chinese $365.5 billions trade surplus should be heavily (equally spread between manufacturers)taxed so some manufacturers would be forced to move factories back to US soil. The alternative is to continue our Debt grows indefinitely what eventually will destroy the dollar.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2016, 04:51 PM   #2

I understand, that most of us have no idea what should be done for the economy to return to healthy grow.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:56 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Until we get jobs that pay higher wages here in the USA, any manipulation with the Fed or other economic 'tricks' will be wasted.

We need wage growth.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Until we get jobs that pay higher wages here in the USA, any manipulation with the Fed or other economic 'tricks' will be wasted.

We need wage growth.
Agree. Manufacturing job was always of middle class pay in most cases. Service jobs are mostly requiring Government assistance on borrowed or printed money.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:16 PM   #5
gone traveling

The more governments take directly & indirectly thru regulations, the less available to invest in the economy. Pretty straightforward.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFK57 View Post
Agree. Manufacturing job was always of middle class pay in most cases. Service jobs are mostly requiring Government assistance on borrowed or printed money.
Those manufacturing jobs were not more lucrative than service jobs simply because they were manufacturing jobs. The reason manufacturing jobs paid better and people could build a life around them was because they became heavily unionized. That was part of the charm of those happy, glorious, productive, halcyon 1950's days so many people yearn for. Before they became unionized they used to be just as low paying, and in fact even lower paying, than current service jobs. There is no magic in manufacturing although there is a sort of economic force-multiplier in production of things that isn't there in simple service providing. That does not mean any of those jobs will pay more though
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Accelerate projects to repair and replace our aging and deteriorating roads and bridges. This work will need to be done eventually one way or another and it will create lots of jobs and those will have a multiplier effect.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:56 PM   #8

Capital is like water. It flows to the place of least resistance. Overhead via regulations is stifling.

JDARNELL
JDARNELL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
The more governments take directly & indirectly thru regulations, the less available to invest in the economy. Pretty straightforward.
Governments don't take money --out-- of the economy with regulations. Regulations require that money be spent improving safety, properly disposing of hazmat, keeping better track of things, and hiring people to do these things etc etc. That's money spent and therefore dumped, trickled down, as it were, back into the economy. What happens when all, 100% of any and all regulations are pulled? There will still be unemployment. Underemployment. Businessmen will still manage to find ways to go out of business. All the things that we suffer from now will still exist only with no way to address them.

Regulation, like taxes, should be as low as possible, while simultaneously being as high as necessary.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post

But pretty incorrect. The government is critical in creating some of the most wildly economic beneficial initiatives, such as the nation highway system. The government is usually responsible for creating situations to encourage capital risk in fledgling industries, like wind and solar. They kept the auto industry afloat, proving me wrong on my call to let them die.

But is there tons of waste, yes, but many regulations are quite useful, such as ensuring there is no lead in your drinking water, ie Flint.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #11

Without proper regulations, the average joe is either cheated, deceived or poisoned, so let's not fall into that trap.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-14-2016, 06:59 PM   #12

Quote:
I understand that most of us are not economists by training yet what do you think should be done to return to healthy economy grows?
Is economic growth not healthy right now in the US? What level of growth do you consider healthy?

Also when you say "done", to whom are you referring? the fed, congress, the executive, or state governments?

Generally I think things are going pretty well and I'm not sure we need a major course correction. But I'm no longer in the workforce and plenty happy with market returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

We need wage growth.
It appears that wage growth has finally started to uptick at the median. Hopefully the trend will continue (graph from atlanta fed). I imagine people at the top 10-20% have seen much better growth.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-02-14 at 5.46.33 PM.png (129.0 KB, 27 views)
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:36 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Harrumph! Higher wages? That'll cut into profits. Fortunately, the cost of robots is dropping rapidly, and should wage costs for jobs rise above the depreciated capital cost plus operating expenses of a robot, the robot will get the job.

Decoupling productivity from employment is a magical thing.

Many desk jobs and service positions can be replaced with narrow artificial intelligence systems over the next decade as wages near AI system expenses.

Fortunately, the outlook is bright for director-level and C-suite positions, where savings realized by correcting for rising wage expenses can contribute to profit sharing and performance bonuses.

M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Is economic growth not healthy right now in the US? What level of growth do you consider healthy?

Also when you say "done", to whom are you referring? the fed, congress, the executive, or state governments?

Generally I think things are going pretty well and I'm not sure we need a major course correction. But I'm no longer in the workforce and plenty happy with market returns.

It appears that wage growth has finally started to uptick at the median. Hopefully the trend will continue (graph from atlanta fed). I imagine people at the top 10-20% have seen much better growth.
Normally the "healthy growth" would be when economy does well without any assistance from the Feds, and we do not need to print or borrow money to cover the trade deficit, there are strong and growing middle class and healthy stream of Taxes to the Treasury. Of course it is in my understanding. If you think that living on printed/borrowed money is normal, I would strongly disagree with you.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:14 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Accelerate projects to repair and replace our aging and deteriorating roads and bridges. This work will need to be done eventually one way or another and it will create lots of jobs and those will have a multiplier effect.
+1 Roads, Rails, Bridges, Tunnels, Water, Power & Distribution etc. All the great infrastructure that keeps the country running is where I would like to see massive investment of both capital and people (put em to work!!).
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:20 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post
+1 Roads, Rails, Bridges, Tunnels, Water, Power & Distribution etc. All the great infrastructure that keeps the country running is where I would like to see massive investment of both capital and people (put em to work!!).

I agree 100%

Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:56 PM   #17

VFK -- I'm trying to clarify in quantitative terms what you mean by healthy growth. It's hard for me to think about the discussion in generic terms and having specific numbers/targets/goals helps.

For example, in 2015 US GDP growth was 2.4%. On one hand you can see this as very healthy because the US is way ahead of most other advanced economies. On the other hand, growth is lower than in past periods in US history (median is 3.4% since 1930).

Quote:
Normally the "healthy growth" would be when economy does well without any assistance from the Feds, and we do not need to print or borrow money to cover the trade deficit, there are strong and growing middle class and healthy stream of Taxes to the Treasury. Of course it is in my understanding. If you think that living on printed/borrowed money is normal, I would strongly disagree with you.

Actually I think running a trade deficit and budget deficit is normal. In fact, the US has run trade & budget deficit almost every year of my life (i'm in my early 40s). In that time frame, I'm sure there were more than a few years of good growth.

As noted on the other thread (http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...d-80639-2.html) a country is not like a household in that the debt needs to be payed down. For a country, the debt can still grow every year without problem (as long as the growth rate isn't too large). The US deficit has shrunk dramatically over the past few years and the trade deficit is also shrinking. The specific numbers matter (i.e. their relative size to GDP) because some deficits are sustainable and not a cause for concern, whereas other amounts will lead to bad outcomes.

Regarding shrinking middle class, that is something specific that I can understand and it also worries me somewhat. But the shrinking middle class is probably mostly due to the upper deciles moving up and out of the middle as opposed to the bottom deciles getting hammered down (they are staying mostly flat).
Old 02-14-2016, 11:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Harrumph! Higher wages? That'll cut into profits. Fortunately, the cost of robots is dropping rapidly, and should wage costs for jobs rise above the depreciated capital cost plus operating expenses of a robot, the robot will get the job.
As someone who has no desire to spend any more of my own human capital, I don't know if I should be happy by this trend (better for my portfolio I assume) or worried (due to social unrest).
Old 02-14-2016, 11:43 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

34rlsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post

Decoupling productivity from employment is a magical thing.
This does create a question of, "does anyone in america even have to work?"

When robots take a position that an employer has, productivity increases dramatically. The robot can work 24x7, 365 days a year. No overtime, no OSHA, no workers comp, no pension, etc. Savings produced by robots could be distributed to the people, much like Alaska oil revenues.

Assuming we could tax a robots productivity, you could pay the three people the prevailing wage that a robot is saving, and the company would still save money. If the robot was paid a wage, and the wage was paid in as a tax, there would still be no employer taxes, workers comp, etc. It would still be a huge savings to the company.

People could work on their own endeavors, without needing college or long days. It may save healthcare costs and free up medical resources, as many people use some sort of medical excuse not to work. FIRE would be come a thing of the past, it would be automatic at age 18 if you want.

People could spend the money they receive and generate economic activity.

I think if robots become more prevalent, it may even help the economy. Assuming the extra productivity was distributed properly.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote