Your invested assets: taxable vs TIRA/401k vs Roths

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I know from experience that there will always be some ambiguity in a question, no matter how hard I try to be specific. What I am looking for here, and thought others might also find interesting, is of all your investable assets, what portion are subject to taxes on their earnings and capital gains (taxable accounts), what portion deferred taxes, such as 401K or TIRA, and what part free of any tax liability under current law, such as Roth or Roth 401K?

My breakdown is 76% taxable, 16 % TIRA, and 8% Roths.

Ha

I currently have about 30% of my retirement assets in Roth (because they made 401/403 available while I was still working, and I went all in).

My breakdown is:
76.4% in taxable accounts, 23.6% in tax deferred accounts and 0% free of any tax liability. (darn it!)

I did not qualify for Roths and have not done Roth conversions since my tax rate was so high and the conversion calculation takes all deferred money into it. Not sure my tax rate will ever be lower but I'm on the look out for it this year and going forward.

Good question Ha!

Not including investment real estate: 80% taxable, 20% tax-deferred, 0% tax-free.

Taxable accounts: 78%. Tax deferred: 22% Tax free: 0.

No real estate or NPV of small pension included.

I'm about 50/50 between 401k and taxable index funds. I'm 35, and trying to catch up on retirement savings so I can glide down to early retirement as soon as possible.

One of my open questions ... given that I can't (easily) touch the 401k 'till retirement age ... should I just make minimum contributions to get company matching or max it out, even though it means making fewer contributions to my taxable index funds?

I'm not quite sure how to model the safe withdrawal rate given that I probably shouldn't touch the 401k bit 'till I'm older.

50% taxable
44% defered
6% tax free

Wish I had more in the Roth.

One of my open questions ... given that I can't (easily) touch the 401k 'till retirement age ... should I just make minimum contributions to get company matching or max it out, even though it means making fewer contributions to my taxable index funds?

I wish I'd had a match. You should take it, assuming you will be around long enough to vest.

Near the end for me I was selling taxable funds to make up income as I was plowing a lot into 403 and 457.

48% taxable
48% tax deferred
4% tax free

Would convert to Roth if not for college cost on the near horizon.

40% taxable; 52% tax deferred; 8% tax-free

I was late to the Roth/HSA party, but with annual Roth conversions the tax-deferred will decline and the tax-free will increase. Taxable will decline with living expense withdrawals and paying taxes on Roth conversions. I expect to be tilted towards tax-free when SS starts.

Current Taxable: 34.5%, Current Tax-Deferred: 65.5%
Projected at Retirement (2017): Taxable: 44.6%, Tax-Deferred: 55.4%
They just opened up Roth's, and Roth conversions, within my 401K this year so I am currently looking into that to see if it would be best for us in the long-run so may end up with Tax Free also. Plan on also doing some Roth conversion after we retire in 2017 (age 50) to 2027 etc.

53% taxable, 47% tax deferred, 1% tax-free

The 1% in roth came when I was eligible to contribute during grad school. Haven't been able to since then.

Last edited:
10% taxable
62% tax deferred
28% tax free

The tax deferred portion is already starting to decline, since I've begun regular monthly distributions from my 457 plan.

63% taxable
37% tax deferred
0% tax free (but Roth conversions are under serious consideration)

Taxable: 19%
Tax Deferred: 71%
Tax Free: 10%

Will be looking to move $$ from Tax Deferred to Roth during retirement

25% taxable
41% deferred
34% tax-free

I made it a priority some years ago to move as much deferred into Roth as possible. Did a big conversion in 2010 since I could split the tax bill into the two following years.

Taxable 25%
Deferred 50%
Tax Free 25%

Have moved about 30% of IRA to Roth through a series of partial conversions. In spite of this, IRA has more $ than it did when I began. 70.5 is looming on the horizon.......

80% taxable
15% tax deferred
5% tax-free

Income and tax brackets while working take us out of ROTH and most IRA eligibility. Goal is to to both contributions and conversions in RE to increase tax free percentages before (if) SS income moves our tax bracket back up.

Last edited:
Taxable: 30%
Tax Deferred: 60%
Tax Free: 10%

Doing Roth conversions to try to get tax free amount closer to 30% by retirement for flexibility and to avoid huge RMDs.

Back
Top Bottom