Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabekew View Post
I got to FI by not investing... I never contributed to 401K's because I wanted to stockpile cash to keep my options open. Then I saw an idea for a business, started it part-time, and after about 7 years it was doing well enough to get my first big contract, which I financed with my cash stockpile. Then I spent all the subsequent income on hiring people and was able to leverage my way up. It was all self-financed and credit-card financed except for a $20K loan from my father. Made several million.
You did invest. It was just in one stock in your company.

I'm trying to dabble a bit in that world. It's unreal how much due diligence is required. There are no analyst reports and certainly no CNBC (maybe that's a good thing), so I have do all of my own analysis. Thank goodness Dory showed me a few good tips and tricks.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #42
Confused about dryer sheets

I've always been interested in real estate so bought the only foreclosed house in a very upscale neighborhood, remodeled it then sold it for almost triple in 5 years. Bought another house and did the same. Started with 7k and turned it into + $1mil. At the same time I put all available capital into my business and built it up slowly into a small but very successful company. Am now just starting to really invest in equities but that's been a little disappointing lately to say the least. Well thought-out calculated risks have always served me well. I live well below my means which suits me fine. I have no children so look forward to giving away a lot of money to my favorites causes.
Zubini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubini View Post
I have no children so look forward to giving away a lot of money to my favorites causes.
Can I be a favorite cause?
canadianteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Work
LBYM
Save
Preservation of capital
++++++
Understand:
Maximizing income
Minimizing expenses
Budgeting
Financial projections
Cash Flow
LBYM
Preservation of capital
Goal setting
Opposing social pressures
This list works for me. (I'm assuming that "maiximizing income" refers to income from work, not from investments.)

Bogle says the biggest difference in retirement accounts comes from how much people save, not from how they invest.

I think one big variable is how you define "early". Some people think that means 59, others think it means 39. It seems to me that "39" requires that you go to some extremes on the list above, or win the lottery on some big investment.

If you have children and a mortgage, and think that "59" is a reasonable goal, remember that those expenses will (should) end some day. So you don't need to buy into the 80% rule.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I think one big variable is how you define "early". Some people think that means 59, others think it means 39. It seems to me that "39" requires that you go to some extremes on the list above, or win the lottery on some big investment.
Unfortunately you won't know if you RE'ed early until after the fact. My Dad RE'ed at 60 and is still alive and mentally alert at 84 but my mother died at 62 so he wishes he could have RE'ed earlier (couldn't 'cos of defined Pension he needed). Similar story with DW's parents.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Another way to FI is to take outsized risk - put most of your eggs in one basket and hope it pays off. If you take these risks young enough, you have time to recover if it all blows up in your face as long as you don't take on debt.

Audrey
I remember hearing about the guy who sold everything he had a bought several hundred thousand in lottery tickets. He contemplated suicide as he did not win millions... I'm not sure how close he came to breaking even.

Jim
Old 03-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
I remember hearing about the guy who sold everything he had a bought several hundred thousand in lottery tickets. He contemplated suicide as he did not win millions... I'm not sure how close he came to breaking even.

Jim
How utterly sad. My pea-sized brain would have thought more along the lines of: Sell everything, go out and spend it all having "fun", when it's all gone, THEN think about suicide!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

That "same type spouse" one that someone brought up is huge. You're only as strong as your weakest link.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
How utterly sad. My pea-sized brain would have thought more along the lines of: Sell everything, go out and spend it all having "fun", when it's all gone, THEN think about suicide!
Vegas, baby!
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote