Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Margin Loan call of 22K around 1996 when I had no clue about investment. Had to pay that in 24hrs which I had borrowed from family. Thank God I did not loose my job around that time.

The recent one was 4.5K for transmission rebuild two years ago.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
AS far as my own expenses, I just had to have a head gasket replaced on wife's Subaru. 10 years old, 80K miles. Dealer want 4500.. I went to smaller outfit that always did nice work on my old Volvo. They did it for 3,000, and threw in a new water pump and new timing belt as long as it was on the table. Also they have had me back once just to check it, and didn't like something so they had me back again at no charge to alleviate the issue, and want me back again at no charge to check it again. Following up on their work. Kind of nice.
I just had head gasket replaced on 2002 Honda Odyssey two weeks ago for $1300. Timing belt was changed with new transmission two years ago on the same car.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:36 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Define "emergency". We had some roof leaks in my last house that could have been patched up with maybe $500 in repairs, but in reality we need to replace the whole thing with a new roof to the tune of $5,000. The $500 was a near term "emergency" but would have been throwing good money after bad when it kept failing.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:41 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

New submersible well pump and cost to lower from 500 ft to 640 ft = $4,800.
Replace heat pump = $7,100 (after rebates and tax credits)
Old 06-08-2016, 02:48 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

$4K to dig up and repair a broken sewer line.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had to put in new septic tank $5k right after I got laid off in 2008.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Ours was around $35K in medical expenses when my son broke his arm. That was our share of the total cost after 3 surgeries and 3 months of intravenous antibiotic treatment, and included a fair amount of travel. We didn't have that much and were extremely fortunate that my employer gave us an interest free loan.
Depending on type of insurance, co-pays could be very expensive. Even with platinum health care plan there are co pays for surgery, hospital stay, CT-scans etc what could easily add up to a few thousand.
Our last year emergency expense was dog treatment after she was hit by a car ($1,400). A few years earlier we had fence replacement after strong wind collapsed large portion of it, our cost was $2,600. Of course some emergencies could be much more expensive.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife implant 3 years ago $4,000.
VFK57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFK57 View Post
My wife implant 3 years ago $4,000.
I'm familiar with dental implants but not a wife implant. Did you have it placed in your head, neck or posterior?
Old 06-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just wrote a check for almost $12K for the next round for my DWs implants... she is getting 3 posts that will be for 4 teeth...

Still more costs to go as this does not cover the crowns at $1500 apiece...
A friend down in La Quinta is having implant work down in Puerta Penasco Mexico by a dentist he raves about and has seen for many years. $1200 for the job from extraction to implant, abutment, and implant crown. Modern equipment, great staff, super gentle. My wallet was very jealous. Dunno how far you are from there, but...
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
still waiting for a story about unexpected legal expenses
Ok, $25,000 legal fees to defend my right to less than 1/2 of marital assets from a lying cheating (other words are left out so people are not offended) wife.
It was an unexpected expense to say the least.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

It looks like the winner here is dental issues (just an unscientific poll)! These can really pop up and can be unexpected and expensive! I would agree that most homeowner/car stuff should be planned for and not considered an "emergency". But...I think the definition of emergency is different for everyone (kinda like the term retirement? Huh, how about that?) and there are lots of variables. For me, I would most likely not have a medical cost emergency since my OOP expenses would be minimal and our house isn't a crazy McMansion, so even replacements of the complete roof or HVAC systems would be reasonable (and since we have no ocean out back, no sea wall to replace!) So...I think I have allocated the right amount of $ to the right places that would be needed for any large unexpected/emergency that might pop up.

Oh yes, very good point on legal fees. I do have that in the back of my mind...but if things were THAT bad, I would be willing to liquidate just about everything (which would be a good amount) to cover legal fees to keep me out of the pokey. Of course, if some zealous prosecutor figures out a way to stick some RICO act charges, then all the assets in the world will do NO GOOD since they will most likely be frozen!
Old 06-08-2016, 03:30 PM   #53

Quote:
still waiting for a story about unexpected legal expenses
Ok... I can play with that one.

Hired a contractor to build our granny flat. He was getting ahead of work done, in his billing, even by his own spreadsheets - so we refused to pay a progress payment till milestones were met. He walked.

That was a very expensive, and unexpected, turn of events. Contractor that assumed the job charged more (because he had to pick up work he was unfamilar with). Lawyer we hired to try to get first contractor to complete the work, and later to advise us as we pursued arbitration cost us money.

We collected on the contractor bonds. The CSLB pursued our complaint and we got part of a judgement paid. But our actual losses/out of pocket for legal bills and overpayments were in the many 10's of thousands.

It was unexpected when it happened... but the expense trickled over the course of almost 2 years as we pursued legal options and completed construction.

Legal bills alone were $10k. Our agreed settlement was 1/2 of our losses. And the former contractor stopped paying 1/2 way into the payoff... so we only collected 1/4 of our loss.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Ours was around $35K in medical expenses when my son broke his arm. That was our share of the total cost after 3 surgeries and 3 months of intravenous antibiotic treatment, and included a fair amount of travel. We didn't have that much and were extremely fortunate that my employer gave us an interest free loan.
No wonder you're the de facto expert on the ACA!
Old 06-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Oh yes, very good point on legal fees. I do have that in the back of my mind...but if things were THAT bad, I would be willing to liquidate just about everything (which would be a good amount) to cover legal fees to keep me out of the pokey. Of course, if some zealous prosecutor figures out a way to stick some RICO act charges, then all the assets in the world will do NO GOOD since they will most likely be frozen!
We had a guy talk to us when I got my CHL 10 years ago. He lost everything he had defending himself from a lawsuit against his business (which he eventually won) and he was peddling pre-paid legal. I guess if you shoot someone (and they live) you can get sued pretty easily regardless if it was justified.

Hopefully this would be covered under an umbrella policy but I don't have to carry a concealed weapon any more.

(as mentioned above) I also heard divorces can be very expensive....
Old 06-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I guess you could catagorize this as an emergency.

$25,000 for daughter's funeral expenses. She passed away unexpectedly at 22 years old, one month from finishing college. She had no student debt as we paid for the four years and she had a job.

No that is what I call a tragedy, so sorry for your loss.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #57

Mine was an emergency to me but many people say I should have let my dog die.

My pooch developed dog diabetes which led to him going blind with cataracts.
7K for the cataract surgery and insulin.

I am such a pet mom
Old 06-08-2016, 03:41 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We had a guy talk to us when I got my CHL 10 years ago. He lost everything he had defending himself from a lawsuit (which he won) and he was peddling pre-paid legal. I guess if you shoot someone (and they live) you can get sued pretty easily regardless if it was justified.

Hopefully this would be covered under an umbrella policy but I don't have to carry a concealed weapon any more.

I also heard divorces can be very expensive....

As far as a justified shooting, it really depends on the jurisdiction. Many of the Castle Doctrine laws have been modified in that if you are cleared of any criminal wrongdoing, then there is an absolute bar to civil recovery. Now of course, this doesn't mean that someone might try to sue you; but it should be thrown out of court before it goes too far (and gets too expensive). As I understand, most umbrella policies DO NOT cover use of a firearm, so in this case, a pre-paid legal service actually might be a decent idea.

I say this as someone who carries often...especially if I am going to downtown Atlanta.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
As far as a justified shooting, it really depends on the jurisdiction. Many of the Castle Doctrine laws have been modified in that if you are cleared of any criminal wrongdoing, then there is an absolute bar to civil recovery. Now of course, this doesn't mean that someone might try to sue you; but it should be thrown out of court before it goes too far (and gets too expensive). As I understand, most umbrella policies DO NOT cover use of a firearm, so in this case, a pre-paid legal service actually might be a decent idea.

I say this as someone who carries often...especially if I am going to downtown Atlanta.
interesting - I'd probably do the prepaid legal now if I carried but I no longer have the need (unless I'm visiting Houston)
Old 06-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Mine was an emergency to me but many people say I should have let my dog die.
you made the right call