Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2016, 06:09 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
For example, we're going to need a new water heater in the next 1-10 years and it'll have to be a more expensive tankless model to get the install up to current building codes. That'll be $2400-3200 depending on method of installation.
I know some building codes can be quite onerous, but I have never heard of *having* to use a tankless model in order to meet said code. Can you elaborate a little bit? Just a little curious...

Good point on the pet expenses. We have 4 furry animals (two that are geriatric) and last year we spent nearly $3K on them and this really didn't involve any BIG medical emergencies for them. AND...this is using a vet that has been a family friend going on 50+ years and with a pretty good discount. I could see that something pet related could REALLY get expensive VERY quickly.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

If it's your money, nobody has the right to tell you you "should have" or "should not have." I'm amazed they can even cure dog cataracts. Was his vision saved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Mine was an emergency to me but many people say I should have let my dog die.

My pooch developed dog diabetes which led to him going blind with cataracts.
7K for the cataract surgery and insulin.

I am such a pet mom
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:40 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Members who have endured the tragic loss of their own children have all my sympathy, double. I do not see how a parent can ever get over that.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #84
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
If it's your money, nobody has the right to tell you you "should have" or "should not have." I'm amazed they can even cure dog cataracts. Was his vision saved?
Quote:
Members who have endured the tragic loss of their own children have all my sympathy, double. I do not see how a parent can ever get over that.
Totally agree on both counts. Lots of difficult situations and powerful memories are evident in this thread.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

The past year was just FULL of surprises.

Selling old house: DH noticed that the basement drain was running slowly. Cost to ream it out with jackhammer: $3,000.

New house: one week after moving in we got a note that we had to have the backflow valve on our sprinkler tested. It failed. Cost to replace : $2,000. (I've since been told that was way too much.) We also knew that the HVAC system was 20 years old. Sure enough, furnace needed to be replaced last fall and A/C this spring. I have to say, though, utility bills are way down compared to the previous house, which was bigger and had older HVAC. The good news is that we LOVE this house. Roof is 2 years old and has a 50-year warranty so at least we don't need to worry about that.

I have a dental bridge that's about 10 years old and they don't last forever. When that goes, I'll get an implant. Expensive, but I love the ones I already have.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:54 AM   #86

I had one about 15 years ago. Went out one morning to get the newspaper and noticed a small geyser spurting up in the lawn.

The pipe between the water meter (near the road) and the house had burst, so it was all my responsibility. About 150 feet of plastic pipe that I had to suddenly get replaced with copper pipe. Had to write a very unexpected check for over $6,000 that day.

The good news is that the pipe manufacturer had settled a class action lawsuit a few years before, and I was able to find out about it from an internet search. I filed a claim and got about 90% of the cost reimbursed from the settlement fund.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:25 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
they don't - my parents never have
Old 06-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Divorce followed by loss of job. Happened in the mid 90s and put me in a tough place. No comparison to the loss of a loved one, but was a prolonged financial burden that took years to recover from. Couldn't begin to put a dollar amount on it.

Enjoying life!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:26 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Not an emergency but finally got around to replacing all appliances in our snowbird condo after 20 years. GE Profile gas stove, fridge, dishwasher and clothes washer. All good now for the rest of our lives.

On teeth, we spare no expense. Bacteria in the mouth can make the whole body sick! Both of us have gone through renewal in the last two years. The theory is that this is an investment that should last the rest of our lives.

All in all, less than a new car. Going to be driving that 2008 for a few more years.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
On teeth, we spare no expense. Bacteria in the mouth can make the whole body sick!
yup, (at the risk of being called "rich" again) which is why we are big on dental care, both preventative and emergency
Old 06-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
On teeth, we spare no expense. Bacteria in the mouth can make the whole body sick! Both of us have gone through renewal in the last two years. The theory is that this is an investment that should last the rest of our lives.
Besides, who really wants to be missing a tooth? Whether or not others notice it, to me a missing tooth feels like my hand just fell off or something. I'm not whole. So, my oral surgeon is happy to cooperate by doing implant surgery and my dentist is equally happy to put crowns on the implants.

Honestly, I'd figure out how to afford this even if I was poor, which I'm not. Likewise, I'd figure out a way to afford a prosthesis if my hand fell off at the wrist, no matter the cost.

Caveat: I have one implant already, and another one is in the process of being done and should be finished in July. A third tooth will be replaced by a bridge attached to the other two implants that are next to it. My mouth is a construction zone at present.

I have always had bad teeth, and budgeted for dental care in retirement, so in that sense dental work is not unexpected. However, recent advances in implants have made this much more expensive procedure something that I unexpectedly need to pay for sometimes instead of a bridge.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #92
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All this fuss about a missing tooth, I had a tooth removed when I was 19 as family didn't have the money to put a cap on it. Never been a problem in 47 years. But I would not want to lose another one in that quadrant.

But did spend $1200 last year on a double crown (one piece over two teeth). Not sure what I'd do if faced with an implant situation, maybe just leave a gap.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #93
Dryer sheet wannabe

When we bought our house three years ago, the furnace failed only a few months after purchase. The previous owner thought he was Mr. Handy and he rigged up a dehumidifier that sent the water directly into the furnace and rusted the thing right out. We ended up replacing the furnace with a brand new 98% efficient Carrier unit at a cost of $10,000. We could have sued the previous owner over this, but that would have taken months -- if not years -- and cost us even more with all the legal fees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MoneyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyCat View Post
When we bought our house three years ago, the furnace failed only a few months after purchase.
that's why I like home warranties....but there is another thread on that topic
Old 06-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When we bought our house three years ago, the furnace failed only a few months after purchase. The previous owner thought he was Mr. Handy and he rigged up a dehumidifier that sent the water directly into the furnace and rusted the thing right out. We ended up replacing the furnace with a brand new 98% efficient Carrier unit at a cost of $10,000. We could have sued the previous owner over this, but that would have taken months -- if not years -- and cost us even more with all the legal fees.

And you would have most likely lost. Unless the previous owner attempted a repair and tried to hide it, you would probably be out some legal fees. Now...if you have a home inspection and your inspector SHOULD have seen it...then that's a different case.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm with those who really haven't had emergencies. I've had some $700-$1000 expenses, but all stuff I knew would happen eventually and had budgeted for. I've also given large ($3,000-$12,000) grants to people that I've paid within a couple of days of being asked, but those were funded from an account I keep specifically for that purpose and I don't consider them emergencies. Yes, I have an account funded exclusively to give to family and friends in need. I've actually never used my emergency fund (I'm one of the recent OPs asking about the necessity of EFs).

Bclover, I'm with you on being a pet mom. My dog is my baby and I'd do whatever it took to keep him with me, unless doing so would cause him harm or diminish his quality of life. I paid for a small elective surgery for him recently and didn't bat an eye at the cost, which really surprised my vet. It's funny to me that people will spend hundreds of thousands to keep humans alive but think I'm weird for paying a few hundred a year to keep my dog healthy. Would I pay as much to save him as, say, my mother? Of course not. But a few thousand over a 10-15 year lifespan in exchange for a loyal companion is a price I'm willing to pay any day.
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You probably could have saved a lot by going with a somewhat lower efficiency unit. The savings are incremental once you get into the (now) basic ~ 92% furnace. I doubt 98% versus 92% would pay for itself over the life of the unit, unless maybe you were in a very cold climate.

Now in the old days, going from the plain-jane 55% furnace to an 85% unit (main difference being a draft inducer fan which allowed the use of a more advanced heat exchanger) would make a big difference in the gas bill, and they aren't all that much more expensive.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #98
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I guess you could catagorize this as an emergency.

$25,000 for daughter's funeral expenses. She passed away unexpectedly at 22 years old, one month from finishing college. She had no student debt as we paid for the four years and she had a job.

So sorry for your loss. I'm sure the expenses were the least of the issues.
God Bless
Old 06-09-2016, 01:19 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
Some is likely good planning. Some peoples emergency is someone else's well planned and tracked expense...

Illness can crop up out of no where for even the best and most purposeful planner.
I'm hoping our $0 deductible, $500 max OOP insurance plan will mitigate most illness or injury related costs (but sure, there might be out of pocket expenses not covered by insurance).

Quote:
DS1 totaled his car last week - on first day of being home for the summer - just as an example ...
Here's a buck twenty five for the bus fare on the way to your newly acquired job to help you pay for your new car?
Old 06-09-2016, 01:33 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I know some building codes can be quite onerous, but I have never heard of *having* to use a tankless model in order to meet said code. Can you elaborate a little bit? Just a little curious...
I could probably do a separate thread about it. Basically, the current water heater replaced the original lowboy one installed in 1972. The current one is very tall, and the exhaust piping doesn't have adequate room to go up and out, so it goes over with a slight down slope then back up and out. Also not a 3' clearance between the exhaust outlet on water heater up to first combustible material on house.

Other solutions would be:
-an electric water heater ($$$ operating costs over the years probably plus probably some electrical work to get a new circuit w/ adequate amps over to the WH - this would be cheaper initially than the tankless install but probably cost an extra $20-30/mo to heat the water at least while the kids are in the house)
-a gas water heater installed inside the house in a newly built utility closet ($$$ to remodel, loss of square footage inside; still have to exhaust somewhere; my understanding is that combustion steals your air conditioned or heated air inside the house which equals higher heating/cooling costs).
-tankless - could be installed lower on the crawl space wall and vented out the side of the foundation wall or installed outside (but plumber said the elements will be harder on it).

I'm very curious about a cheaper alternative than what I've mentioned.