You've retired, thinking about going back to work?

You've retired, thinking about going back to work?

• Yes,

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 58.5%
  • Only if things get worse.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Gone back to work already.

Votes: 8 9.8%

• Total voters
What's Work?

Retired not going back to work. That doesn't mean that I am going to stop working on my own projects. I still have an office at the movie studio I used to work for.

The difference is, now they are my own projects and I come and go as I please.

b.

No thoughts about going back to work but if an interesting temporary job showed up I might be tempted .

I vacillated between Yes and if things get worse. I told my friend that I was thinking about it and he said I am surprised that I haven't done it. (The aren't you bored story, this from a guy who plays 40+ hours a week of Everquest.)

Actually, boredom is 10% of the reason. But the other 90% is a set a lower limit of net worth when I retied and I passed this year. While I could survive on the 4% of my current net worth, I think I should plan for 40 years not merely 30 years.

But the primary reason is the dividend cuts I've experienced mean I will in all likelyhood dip into my diminishing cash reserves this year. A few years working would really help. The trick of course is to find a good job in this sucky economy...

I voted No, but if things get worse and stay that way for several years, I'll think about it.

Didn't you have a post a while ago about going back to work? Was that a joke?

Now you guys are bringing back memories.

In my head I can still hear/feel what it was like when you finished a card and sent it to be added to the bottom of the stack.

Keypunch.jpg

Hmmmm, no place in the poll for planned semi-ER type work (part time, etc), rather stated as a win or loose full retirement question. Why doesn't that surprise me. Sort of odd how ESRBob's book is well promoted on this site but so few frequent posters subscribe to the semi-ER philosophy.

I'm one of the ones who chose to go back to work. In fact when I retired the original plan was to get a part time job doing "something" but I had no idea what. But then I found that almost all of the part time jobs don't pay enough to make the commute and vehicle wear expenses worthwhile, and involved either retail selling, which I loathe, or cleaning something. I also found that while I like fishing, walking, bicycling, etc., I can't do that all day, every day, or anything else for that matter. It sounds idyllic when chained to a desk but it didn't work out that way for me.

But then I did find a job that pays enough to make it worthwhile. Three months of it earned enough to write a check for a $12k motorcycle, and at the moment we're saving most of the rest. We also helped out FIL with some expenses that he will reimburse later (I hope. If not, chalk it up to tuition....).

However, I still have my KMA hat firmly in place, and while I figure another two to four years of this job, perhaps more, maybe less, if I go to work tomorrow and am told that "You don't work here anymore" I won't be overly distressed by it. I'd probably go volunteer for Habitat for Humanity or a similar organization with the free time.

Oh wow -COBOL mainframe programmer & GM Body by Fisher

Blast from the past

What next - Mood rings & Pet Rocks

Hmmmm, no place in the poll for planned semi-ER type work (part time, etc), rather stated as a win or loose full retirement question. Why doesn't that surprise me. Sort of odd how ESRBob's book is well promoted on this site but so few frequent posters subscribe to the semi-ER philosophy.

Part time work=slightly pregnant?

I bought & found some good information in Bob's book and I recommend it to friends for whom I think it is a good fit but it just doesn't *work* for me to work. I put just as much effort into Habitat other charitable and recreational activities but those are not work. I really liked my job and maybe I should have stayed on a bit but part time doesn't do much for me except complicate my schedule.
Now my wife works a few hours now & then coordinating student teachers. She loves the contact with new, young teachers and the college faculty. She would probably do this for free. But it messes up our freedom to not have a schedule.
For me, the real focus of this board and my investment efforts is to achieve financial independence which I did about 3 year before retiring@58. But once I didn't have to work and my old boss left I didn't see any reason in staying. So if you are FI and want to work, that is terrific. If you are FI and don't want to work there is nothing better about part time work than full time work.

If you are FI and don't want to work there is nothing better about part time work than full time work.

I have to disagree . When you work part time especially if you can get a flexible position you do not get involved in the committees or the policy meetings or any of the BS . You just have to show up and do your job and that is pretty freeing .

In my head I can still hear/feel what it was like when you finished a card and sent it to be added to the bottom of the stack.
OMG! So can I! Thanks (NOT!) for bringing back that persistent memory!

LOL!

Audrey

Back to work? Well Only if the Bond Market Collaspes for Several yrs..
I allocated to save enough up that a 6% ave in bonds would take care of me first and any extra could go into Equities..

I just barely made it now, with doubling my $ in bonds these past 9 yrs and down to less than a 2.5% WD.. Last yrs Treasuries Boosted thing by a couple of yrs ahead of plans.. Thank You Financial Advisor..Thank You, Thank you, Thank You...

and here I almost listened to those Indexers to have a 50/50 Portfolio.. and would make More $....Yeah Right... after 10 yrs? It Be worth The same as When I started with it now.. Whew...

Will there be work to go back to?

I actually thought I might have to do something part time in 2007 before I got my annuity income squared away with TSP. I even put some applications for part-time j*bs as a backup.
Now that I have things squared away, there is no way, I repeat no way I would go back to w*rk.
I paid no NYS income taxes this year, and intend to keep it that way.
It's my turn to be a slacker, Albany. Have a nice day.:cool:

Will there be work to go back to?

Guess that depends on your skill set. Medical field as long as you keep your license up there is work. Probably not for a blue collar skill set such as I have.

How about a COBOL mainframe programmer of 58? And I'm not even cute.

Companies like Fujitsu do quite well in selling banks on multi-year migrations^H^H^H^Hmodernizations from big iron mainframes to low cost hw. Your skills would be valuable to such a company. NetCOBOL Main Page

Hey Al, you know me - always serious, never joking. No, wait. Never serious... Always... I forget. :)

REWahoo, I also had a post or two or three about going back to work yet here I am still ER'ed. I claim the same defense you do;)

The poll had no choice for sending DW back to work!

Part time work=slightly pregnant? Now my wife works a few hours now & then coordinating student teachers. She loves the contact with new, young teachers and the college faculty. She would probably do this for free. But it messes up our freedom to not have a schedule.
For me, the real focus of this board and my investment efforts is to achieve financial independence which I did about 3 year before retiring@58. But once I didn't have to work and my old boss left I didn't see any reason in staying. So if you are FI and want to work, that is terrific. If you are FI and don't want to work there is nothing better about part time work than full time work.

I have no gripes with those who don't want to work-for-pay or those who want to work till they drop, I just feel that for some reason the forum is woefully under-represented by those who happily choose the semi-ER path, so you end up with this very skewed bias (just look at the poll results). I guess it comes with the territory.

For the record we're transitioning into the semi-ER routine. DW maintains a half time long distance job with her old company and I've gone from hi-tech to working in the resort-retail area. A few bumps-miscues and shoulda-coulda-woulda's but we're still basically on course. I like hearing other semi-ER stories, but it seems like relatively few show up here.

Back
Top Bottom