You've retired, thinking about going back to work?

You've retired, thinking about going back to work?

• Yes,

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 58.5%
  • Only if things get worse.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Gone back to work already.

Votes: 8 9.8%

• Total voters
Perish the thought. No.

Hey, I am already doing it, w*rk that is. So don't knock it.

Despite my portfolio losing about 8-10 years worth of living expenses, the loss is only 1/3 of the total. It has to be a lot worse for me to send out my resume. But as described in a recent post, when people I know and have worked with in the past needed me for my experience, w*rk ain't so bad. It lifted me out of a funk that I found myself in (due to nostalgia and not financial situation by the way).

I even got to go to places abroad that I have not been, and most likely would not spend my own dime doing so, as these are not on my travel list. I am going on another trip soon.

That said, my blood pressure has been going up to 145/95 compared to 130/85 when I was sitting at home bs'ing with ya all. But these are just short-term assignments after all. I can't see myself in shackles working full-time for the man any more.

Cheers!

On another thread, I think it was Khan who said "I'd sell a kidney first", to paraphrase. From my point of view, she understated the case. I suspect that I disliked my fairly well-paying job more than most

On another thread, I think it was Khan who said "I'd sell a kidney first", to paraphrase. From my point of view, she understated the case. I suspect that I disliked my fairly well-paying job more than most

That was me (though I did steal the phrase from someone else).

And it's true.:cool:

Isn't this tempting fate? I'm afraid that if I answer "no", I'll get wiped out financially! :banghead:

Audrey

As Khan says, I'd rather donate a kidney.

Heck, I'll even throw in a couple other organs I have no use for...

Well now - da ole Norwegian widow says - picking a few good dividend stocks like the fat cat's on Wall Street and down 'only -32%' not counting the dividends.

Is that working or retirement?

Now if you need a part time guillotine operator for the management of some my less than stellar picks.

Hmmmm - only in jest of course. (couldn't be my fault).

heh heh heh - nope ain't gonna work no more. Fingers crossed. :whistle:

I guess if I had too. All about survival I suppose. However, there isn't much work for old machinist/tool and die maker. Hopefully I can get by on my handsome face.

I have a 'few' extra fat cells to sell to those needing them for lip or 'hip' enhancement.

But, seriously, I'd be doing all the cutting back stuff we've all talked about LONG before considering a j*b! Having said that, if an interesting challenge came along that also happened to pay something, I might consider it. But it wouldn't be for the money.

Obviously, if conditions actually warranted it (e.g., starvation!) I would find some kind of paying j*b. But as Is99 said "perish the thought".

I guess if I had too. All about survival I suppose. However, there isn't much work for old machinist/tool and die maker. Hopefully I can get by on my handsome face.

How about a COBOL mainframe programmer of 58? And I'm not even cute.

If we could manufacture another Y2K problem, sure...

My first j*b out of college was as a COBOL/IMS/DB2 mainframe programmer. We developed financial systems for our accounting folks to create budgets and input actuals. Our project didn't have a Y2K problem -- it had a Y2.05K problem. We used two digits in the database but assumed 50-99 was in the 1900s and 00-49 was in the 2000s.

I doubt this system would still be in use in about 2048 when they might start to panic about this, but if it is, I could do some consulting work -- except that I'd turn 83 that year, and if I still need w*rk at 83 I might as well put a bullet in my head now.

This poll too should differentiate between those with and without cola'd pensions. My guess is a cola pension and SS makes a big difference in you answer. It did mine.

Cuteness is in the eyes of the beholder. :cool:

As I age, I find women of my age group more attractive. Not that I am seeking of course, being a happily married man, and never cheated on my wife. :angel:

But I have eyes and I can behold. :angel::angel:

I'm an old COBOL mainframe programmer who somehow stumbled onto a 3rd generation code generating language as a skill (the language has had several names over the years...IEF, then Composer, then CoolGen, then AdvantageGen, then AllFusionGen and finally CA Gen...it's been sold and repackaged many times). Anyway, it's one of those skills where the jobs are feast or famine since not many companies use it. I've retired a couple of times but since it's difficult to find people that know this skill, I keep getting called back for short term contracts. I started another contract job in January, 2009. It was very difficult and sort of depressing going back to work this time, but I will admit that the extra cash is nice expecially since I'm down over $150,000 since the stock market halved itself. The weird thing is that I have programmer friends who would kill for a job right now and I'm not looking and get a job offer....sometimes it doesn't seem fair....not that I'm complaining.

The weird thing is that I have programmer friends who would kill for a job right now and I'm not looking and get a job offer....sometimes it doesn't seem fair....not that I'm complaining.
Right now it's all about actual experience -- no amount of competence, ability to learn new skills or other accomplishments matter in this job market. No one will train on the job because they don't need to.

I answered "yes" because I seriously thought about going back to work. Came pretty close too. Have since changed my mind. Khan is right.

Now you guys are bringing back memories. I was involved in this back in 1963 as a Tool and Die Engineer with Fisher Body (do you remember that division of GM?). I wasn't a programmer but had to go to the IBM school as we were instituting a system of scheduling automotive die construction (called network scheduling). The programming school I went to was SPS and Autocoder which were for-runners to Cobol and Fortran. In those days all the data was input via punched cards. Can you even imagine that today? We at the plant had IBM 1401 computers while the GM Tech Center had IBM 7094's). The 1401's had much less capacity than the computer I'm using here at home. I remember the computer department at the plant was about half the size of a football field with about 8 tape decks, a dozen card readers, a dozen girls transmitting the date onto punched cards, the computer itself, a printer the size of a small U-Hall and some offices. I'll guarantee you my home computer today has more capacity than that monster. The good 'ol days. Just thinking back!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom