Votes: 9 8.2%
  • 11 to 20% better

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • 21% or more better

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

Sam

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
As of today the S&P 500 is up 11.7%. How did you do?

Examples:

Your YTD is 9%. So you're 2.7% less than S&P 500. Choose "3 to 4% less"
Your YTD is 20%. So you're 8.3% better than S&P 500. Choose "6 to 10% better"

This is not a contest.

Lead sled dog is target retirementv 2015 at 9.5%

heh heh heh - too lazy to count up the individual stocks.

Sam said:
As of today the S&P 500 is up 11.7%. How did you do?

Examples:

Your YTD is 9%. So you're 2.7% less than S&P 500. Choose "3 to 4% less"
Your YTD is 20%. So you're 8.3% better than S&P 500. Choose "6 to 10% better"

This is not a contest.

Do you include you house as part of the invesments? how about bonds/fixed income?
Is "Investments" = net worth?

Vanguard's SP 500 fund produced 12.87% returns year to date (as of 11/28/06 close of business). I figure I came in right around the same returns based on my last calculation on 10/16/06.

dmpi said:
Do you include you house as part of the invesments? how about bonds/fixed income?
Is "Investments" = net worth?

I don't count my house as an investment.

I would cound bonds/fixed income as investment.

Net worth ?= Investment: If you prefer to, fine. For me, my NW includes my house, but my investment does not.

You guy do pretty good. You all must be 100% (or more) invested in stocks.

Goonie said:
Just a tad over 80-81% stocks.

Did you count the 19% not in stocks as part of the calculation?

Trailing the S&P badly this year, but have trounced the TOPIX ytd, which is a better bogey for me anyway.

dmpi said:
You guy do pretty good. You all must be 100% (or more) invested in stocks.

Hmm, bonds did pretty well, especially junk. Commodities were no slouch. EAFE is up some 20% YTD. REITs went to the moon. Foreign bonds did well, too.

My equities gave me 10.98% ROI, but when averaged in with my non-equity investments (not including home), my overall ROI was 8.41%.

Once again, you have to tell us how you determined your YTD return (i.e. which software package) and what investments you included and what you didn't include.

I use MSMoney. It has a report that gives YTD performance, but even that can be skewed. It also have a "Current Year" time frame. Since we haven't reached 12/31/2006 yet, YTD is not the same as "Current Year".

We can't seem to agree what the total return is of the S&P500 today with dividends reinvested, so ....

LOL! said:
Once again, you have to tell us how you determined your YTD return (i.e. which software package) and what investments you included and what you didn't include.

I use MSMoney. It has a report that gives YTD performance, but even that can be skewed. It also have a "Current Year" time frame. Since we haven't reached 12/31/2006 yet, YTD is not the same as "Current Year".

We can't seem to agree what the total return is of the S&P500 today with dividends reinvested, so ....

Very true. And I would guess the majority of answers here are a best-guess estimate, not a precise scientific calculation.

For example, if somebody held cash and invested that cash immediately before the market surged a couple of months ago, that person cannot use the reported YTD return on that investment as his own YTD return.

Personal ROI is a more complicated calculation when personal funds are added and subtracted from investments and transfers are made between various investments.

YTD is almost 18% despite a bond/cash allocation of 40%. I think most of the return comes from REIT, International explorer, Europe, and emerging market. Small cap value and large cap value have done well also. Commodity (PCRIX) returns 7.09% (purchased in 3/06).

retire@40 said:
Very true. And I would guess the majority of answers here are a best-guess estimate, not a precise scientific calculation.

What's wrong with taking your balance on 1/1/06 and comparing it to what you have now minus expenses if any?

Based on the above I'm up 9.75% on a 50/50 portfolio. The 50% equities includes 15% foreign.

My portfolio is pretty conservative.....about 50% equities. I'm showing 9.19% on a weighted average spreadsheet. This includes equities, bonds, and MM.

ira 11.61% 401k 11.50% taxable(mostly individual stocks) 19.68%

I took the easy way out. Vanguard calculates my return for the trailing year, since 10/31/06. 23%. yay!!!

- Alec

Quicken portfolio view shows a YTD ROI (total return) overall at 12% as of today.

Spanky said:
Commodity (PCRIX) returns 7.09% (purchased in 3/06).

I guess timing is everything.

Quicken's portfolio view also shows a YTD ROI of only 2% on our PCRIX holdings. (no purchases or redemptions this year) That fund has had a great run in the past couple of years though.

Jim

15.14% - 401K
14.26 - Advisor Manged - Post Wrap Account fee(0.5%)

I am probably doing as good as my advisor but he manages ~70% of the Liquid NW.

LOL! said:
Once again, you have to tell us how you determined your YTD return

Let's keep it simple. Use any method you want. Let's say the YTD is around 10%. My calculation returns 10.2%, and your gives 9.8%. Does not make much difference, right?

retire@40 said:

I think most people here well versed in this rather simple calculation. So I would say their numbers are acurate enough.

Bikerdude said:
What's wrong with taking your balance on 1/1/06 and comparing it to what you have now minus expenses if any?

Thank you Bikerdude.

Bikerdude said:

This might be OK if you didn't add or take out any money from the account. But why should we subtract out expenses?

Back
Top Bottom