Join Early Retirement Today

$1,500 Trip
Old 02-02-2006, 04:13 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

$1,500 Trip

My wife and I can't seem to find a nice, warm $1,500/person week long all-inclusive vacation spot in the carribbean, central or south america in June. Any ideas. Where do we find the best deals? The travel agents are all around the $2,500 mark/person and that's not all-inclusive.
ferco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: $1,500 Trip
Old 02-02-2006, 04:28 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Depending on where you live, try the applevacations website for their "ready to go" type specials.

Funjet also does packages.
Orbitz does last minute specials too.

Good luck. We know the need to get some sun in the winter!

Uncledrz
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:52 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Any particular reason you want all-inclusive? I think your money can go a lot further and you vacation can be a lot more interesting if you skip the cheesy resorts.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:14 AM   #4

All Inclusives are like going to camp, you never get a chance to really see the place.

We did Club Med, once, once too often.

You could do Cuba for $1,500, whoops, you guys can't do Cuba.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:17 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
You could do Cuba for $1,500, whoops, you guys can't do Cuba.
The one good thing about being Canadian!

(this is sarcasm)
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:19 AM   #6

A cruise could almost do it, depending on your proximity to a port. And if you don't mind calling the cheapest cabin on the boat "nice".

Does that $1500 include airfare to/from your destination for 2?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:32 AM   #7

If you are including airfare, you're probably not going to find a great deal (Depending on where you're coming from of course). When I researched this it was always cheaper to do it separately.

The all inclusive "per person" never seems like a good deal to me, either - unless you really really drink a lot.

Have you looked at Cancun? There should be some deals there, although I don't know if they are still suffering from the last hurricanes.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:37 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I've had good luck finding cheapo deals at http://www.go-today.com/site_gtweb/index.asp Might or might not be all-inclusive, but definately cheap...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:00 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

We did Costa Rica (Guanacaste region) in December for a week for waay less than this.
We didn't do all inclusive, but IIRC all inclusive packages in major resorts were about $90 per person per day. Airline tickets from Atlanta to Liberia were around $350 per adult.
So you can definitely go below $1500 all inclusive.
sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:02 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Depending on where you fly from, Club Med has a boatload of destinations for under $1500. Looking at their web site I see a number of ~1200-1400 specials.

If you havent done club med...it basically doesnt matter which one you go to if all you want is sun, relaxation, decent food and plenty to do. I've been to a half dozen of them for that mid winter "get the hell out of this cold weather" jaunt.

Cute fuzzy bunny thinks "Jack Tar Village" needs a marketing person to think up a slightly more appealing name.

Cute fuzzy bunny liked Club Med except for the one time he took a potential Mrs CFB to one of the singles ones in martinique and they had booked 3000 single guys and about 9 single women, and CFB couldnt go to the mens room without 30 guys encircling his girlfriend in 1.2 seconds.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:11 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

http://www.mopanriverresort.com/ in Belize.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Definitely do-able. Went on a week-long cruise to Bermuda last September (outside cabin) for $600/person...about $1,000 with all costs (tips, etc.). Also, try Site59 for last minute deals.

jerryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #13

Justin, that and not having George Bush as our Leader. :

Did I mention Universal Health Care(now that is sarcasm).
Old 02-02-2006, 05:18 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Careful Howie, dont give old Georgie any ideas.

After all, you guys could suddenly look like you might be hiding some WMD's up there. And if that might be the case, I think it'd be a pretty short time before GWB *was* your leader. Probably kiss that health care goodbye too.

Total sarcasm.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:18 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Swell. From a winter vacation to invading canada. In under one page.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:28 AM   #16

Dear Canada,

All your base are belong to us.

Now surrender and pledge allegiance to your new flag and your new dictater!

"G. W. Bush, putting the 'tater back in dictater since 2001"
Old 02-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

The tater goes in the front...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:19 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

My thoughts about all-inclusives:

Quote:
The all inclusive "per person" never seems like a good deal to me, either - unless you really really drink a lot.
My wife went to a few “all inclusives” with her girl friends and I never understood why—until she finally convinced me to try one.* I thought it was great and the price was far cheaper than trying to do the same thing the “normal way”--eating in a different restaurant and drinking in different bars every day.

You did hit close to home on one thing, if you do drink a lot, then the all-inclusive is the way to go.* They don’t care if you order one drink, or ten—and there is no tipping in the restaurants or bars.

Quote:
All Inclusives are like going to camp, you never get a chance to really see the place.
We actually saw a lot outside of the hotel. We rented a car for a couple of days in addition to using the local transportation to get around the area whenever we desired.* Some days we never left the resort, some days we did—it’s up to you.

Quote:
Any particular reason you want all-inclusive?* I think your money can go a lot further and you vacation can be a lot more interesting if you skip the cheesy resorts.
In my youth I traveled a lot all over the world and stayed in some of the cheapest places imaginable, but now that I am retirement age, I prefer the luxury of a 5 star resort.* If I want to go native for a few hours I can, but then I retire to my deluxe hotel.

My point is, if you have tried the all-inclusives and don’t like them, that’s one thing; but if you have never tried them I suggest you at least give them a chance—you might be pleasantly surprised, like I was.

As far as the $1,500 all-inclusive vacation, have you tried Travelocity, Orbitz, TravelAxe, and Fun Jet? I don't normally use a travel agent now that you can usually do-it-yourself on the Internet.
eriter is offline   Reply With Quote