1 Month Update

flyfishnevada

Full time employment: Posting here.
A couple of people asked me to give a little update on my ER when I posted that I had ER'd a month ago. I also like reading about other peoples experiences, so here goes.

It has been just over 4 weeks, one month exactly. Whew, what a month. I have been fishing every week so far. I don't feel like I am getting enough fishing in, so I am going to start going twice a week. :D I am getting to spend a lot of time with my boys, Henry (14) and Owen (12). We have been fishing twice, golfing once, seen a couple of movies and spent a lot of time out in the Wal-Mart pool. We leave for a four day fishing trip on Aug 2nd.

I have also been practicing the guitar a lot, especially over the last couple weeks and have learned the solo to AC/DC's Highway to Hell. A few little fill riffs and I will be able to play the whole song. Cool.:cool:

I have also been doing a lot of projects around the house. I sold a bunch of stuff in the seemingly never ending process of downsizing. I bought a new writing/fly tying desk. It is in my media room with a view of the not to distant Sweetwater Mountains. Here I will begin writing my planned book soon, cruise this forum (and many others), surf the net, tie some flies and lots of other things.

I am slowly taking over some of the household chores: cooking dinner, shopping, paying bills.:angel: My DW used to do all that and work part time while I worked and commuted 2 hours. Now she gets a break. When the kids go back to school, we will take advantage to go out for breakfast or lunch, go hiking or see a movie.

Finally, I still have that feeling this is all temporary like I am on vacation. It isn't bad, but its there like work is always a few days off. Not enough to produce the dreads, but enough to catch my attention. I got rid of some of the other worries. I got my first pension check, withdrew my investments and paid off my cars, and tied up a few other loose ends. I no longer feel like this is all a dream and someone will call and tell me its all been a mistake. We have been busy (DW and kids at camp, DW's has an unusually busy time with her job, etc.) this month with various things, so life would have been a little jumbled anyway, but my ER just adds another layer. I think once school starts and we are all on a schedule, things will settle down.

I love it and my DW is looking forward to the day she can join me. Thanks to everyone on here for you advice and support. If you are not FIRE, I recommend it.:greetings10:

Please update us again. I especially enjoy reading this post and the ones from other ER'ers. It's great for me to live vicariously through your experience--fantasizing about having all that free time just for fun and for leisurely doing household chores tying up loose ends and such. Thank you for the update.

Thanks for the post Flyfish :greetings10:

Great to hear that you are already settling down to the rigors or retirement. I expect your family are loving having you around.

Like you my ESR DW did all the housework this last 6 years but she RE'd this year also and enjoys the extra time plus we split the housework 50/50. (well, maybe 55/45 as she does the washing and I do the ironing and there is a lot LESS ironing in retirement than before :angel:)

...she does the washing and I do the ironing and there is a lot LESS ironing in retirement than before :angel:)
[-]Pants? I don't need no stinkin' pants.[/-]

Ironing? You wear clothes that need ironing? And I thought you were retired. Bet you still wear a watch, too. :cool:

[-]Pants? I don't need no stinkin' pants.[/-]

Ironing? You wear clothes that need ironing? And I thought you were retired. Bet you still wear a watch, too. :cool:

SHE wears clothes that still need ironing, but a lot less than when she was working :cool:

Rarely wear pants these days and I certainly don't wear a watch :D - it's great!!

Ah, bliss! I'm enjoying this vicariously...

Finally, I still have that feeling this is all temporary like I am on vacation. It isn't bad, but its there like work is always a few days off. Not enough to produce the dreads, but enough to catch my attention.

Last week I had dinner with friends (a couple) who have both recently ER'd from management positions. I noticed that their plates were clean while mine was still half full. I pointed out that there was no hurry to get back to work! Clearly they are in the adjustment phase, as you are too.

I am four months in, and I've spent all my time doing the two things I never had enough time for in my w*rking life: overseas travel and bass fishing.

Finally, I still have that feeling this is all temporary like I am on vacation.

Same for me. It still feels like the the coach will become a pumpkin at midnight, and I'll wake up to find myself at some lousy Monday-morning meeting. Intellectually I know I won't, but I haven't been able to convince my gut yet.

If you are not FIRE, I recommend it.:greetings10:

That's the understatement of the year! For me, the world is, at last, delicious again.

I have been fishing every week so far. I don't feel like I am getting enough fishing in, so I am going to start going twice a week.

This will say more about me than you. I tried river fishing - I wouldn't call it fly fishing. I didn't get it - through in a hook, catch a fish, put it back.

What Myers-Briggs personality is a fly fisherman?

If I looked like Tom Cruise maybe I would dress like that often ;)

Do you wear the little school boy outfit like Angus Young when playing the song?:D

YouTube - Ac/Dc - Highway To Hell(With Bon Scott)(High Quality)

Yep - that's my style :cool:

PS - I'm in Exeter England at present and we're off to hire bikes for a cycle down the river, so I'm wearing shorts today for sure (school boy style of course).

I expect your family are loving having you around

My wife, yes. She says that I am happier now. Funny how you become stressed out and unhappy and barely realize it.

My boys, yes and no. They get to hang out with me more, but they are subjected to a little more discipline (more chores, less backtalk) than they are used to on a regular basis. Good for them, though.

Rarely wear pants these days and I certainly don't wear a watch :D - it's great!!

I live in t-shirts and athletic or cargo shorts. Sometimes just swim trunks. I guess I technically don't wear pants either. I bought a watch for retirment. I need one when fishing so I know when I need to go home:D

That's the understatement of the year! For me, the world is, at last, delicious again.

Exactly!!

This will say more about me than you. I tried river fishing - I wouldn't call it fly fishing. I didn't get it - through in a hook, catch a fish, put it back.

What Myers-Briggs personality is a fly fisherman?

[SIZE=+1] Your Type is [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1] [SIZE=+2]INTJ[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+0]Strength of the preferences %[/SIZE]
Introverted 78
Intuitive
Thinking
Judging 22

Honestly, fly fishing is maybe 25% about catching fish. It's more the challenge of learning the techniques, the thrill of having an adventure outdoors and the tranquility of focusing on the task at hand.

Plus, fish, especially trout, are cool!:cool:

Do you wear the little school boy outfit like Angus Young when playing the song?:D

It's on order:ROFLMAO:

This is one of the more passed around videos on U-tube amongst fly fishermen. You've likely already seen it. If not, enjoy.

YouTube - A River Runs Through It

Nice clip. Reminded me of a trip one of my nephew's took my brother and myself on a few years ago in Colorado while visiting him. Didn't catch anything, didn't hear any music playing, but pretty scenery as in the video. Mosquitoes ate my a$$ up though. But good memories.

Never seen that. Kind of cool.

Dawg, I always bring a string quartet along with me to provide background music when I fish, don't you?

By the way, in a previous thread, I posted a picture of John Gierach, fly fishing author, as an example of what I would look like in retirement:

feature_728_1.jpeg

This is what I really look like:

img_2553.jpg

img_2547.jpg

cool photos - thanks for posting :)

Great pictures! You look the the kinda guy who should be in the great outdoors instead of trapped in a cubicle chained to a computer.

Not being a fisherman myself, I'm curious about the 2nd photo. Is that some kind of flotation devise?

Not being a fisherman myself, I'm curious about the 2nd photo. Is that some kind of flotation devise?
If that's snow I see in the background, then maybe those big balls are the propane fuel tanks for the water heater...

FFN,
Thanks for the great post. I'm glad to see the first month agrees with you. It also provides encouragement for those of us that are still aspiring to FIRE. Hope you will keep posting your experiences.
Enjoy! :greetings10:

Flyfish,

Good stuff! I too have been er for a month and it still feels like a vacation (but I was away for a week in Europe) and I still need to learn to relax more and not feel guilty for not being engaged all day.

Nice pics...what kind of boat is that? :D

I am now going into my third month of ER. I spent most of the past two months de-cluttering, reading four books, swimming frequently, visiting family and attending birthday parties, and doing "not much." De-cluttering was one of the first things I had planned to do. I have now gone through every room of the house, cleaned every nook and cranny, rearranged the furniture to provide a new living environment, located objects I had been looking for for ages (a remote control, a small plastic microphone for my John Lennon model, a power cord for an old VCR, etc.), donated about five boxes of "stuff" to Goodwill, went through my files and gathered a boxful of documents I shredded--especially decade-old w**k-related docs, went through about 60 floppies that I uploaded what I wanted to save to a thumb drive instead, and then shredded all these old floppies, organized old audio cassettes and video tapes, scrubbed out every inch of the fridge, freezer and oven. I also broke out some old Silver Age comic books and sat in the sun at public locations to read and "people watch." Stuff like that.

That is a float tube. Here's a better picture.

img_2531.jpg

If that's snow I see in the background, then maybe those big balls are the propane fuel tanks for the water heater...

Yes, that is snow. Lots of it left up in the Sierras. Some won't melt this year. It's not that cold:D

FFN,
Thanks for the great post. I'm glad to see the first month agrees with you. It also provides encouragement for those of us that are still aspiring to FIRE. Hope you will keep posting your experiences.
Enjoy! :greetings10:

Feel free to visit my blog. Just Google "Fly Fish Nevada". Hope that doesn't violate the rules:( I don't get any money, just for fun. I post pictures and stories from every fishing trip. Here's my latest picture:

img_2604.jpg

The fish really are cool looking.
Looks like fun.
I just recently gave a guy some peacock feathers.
He wanted to try to make some kind of fly out of them.
He said he had always wanted to create something from peafowl feathers with all the colors. Not sure if it will really help but it seemed to make him happy to have them for his project. Probably look cool in his tackle or hooked to his hat.:)

I can't imagine a fish really caring one way or another.
I'm not even sure if they can see colors? Probably not the spectrums in the peafowl feathers anyway.
Steve

These are my favorite kind of posts, that reassure me retiring early is the right thing to do!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom