10 affordable places to retire

I was in Conn over the winter Salem to be exact. Nice place to visit. Ive lived out of the winter so long. Not sure I want to move back into it. I found Connecticut to be just as expensive as Northern California.

Frank worked in Connecticut for years. Although I have never been to Connecticut, it looks beautiful online and has many advantages, so I brought up the idea of living there.

Cost of living aside, in that general area he preferred rural western Pennsylvania to Connecticut. I think this is a case of "different strokes for different folks".

He likes southwestern Missouri better than either of these, and Springfield seems like a good fit for both of us. Hopefully the number of retirees that find southwestern Missouri to be appealing to them will be few, so that it will not be flooded with them.

Come to the Detroit Area and See!

My DW and I will take you on the adventure tour of Detroit. We'll point out $1 houses for you to buy. Since they were crack houses, you'll have a solid post-retirement business opportunity. Taxes are high in the city, but this is offset by the utter lack of government services. Oh, and you'll need to be a 'person of color' not to be hunted down like an animal by the neighborhood gangs.

Retirement paradise by any measure!:greetings10:

I spent 4 years in Southern Conn, loved it, and it's one of the few places that I've lived that I would happily return to. The other 2 are San Francisco and Venice Beach.

I think it would be better to go somewhere you were happy and run out of money if need be, than isolate yourself in South Bend Indiana for example. If you get poor enough you can usually get senior subsidized housing.

I met an old gal who lives in Bellingham on almost no money. She is in a high rise subsidized senior housing project overlooking Bellingham Bay. All the rest is covered by her SS, and a little savings. So she has a very nice life walking around going to coffee houses in Fairhaven, entertaining the old hippies with her stories of jazz musicians that she slept with when she was young back in New York (according to her anyway) and generally enjoying life mostly on someone else’s dime.

Connecticut isn’t that expensive anyway, outside of Greenwich and the billionaires’ haunts. At least when compared to Seattle.

Ha

Back in 1984, when I was a young naval officer, I was stationed in Bremerton, WA for 8 months. My new young wife got a job in Seattle and commuted on the ferry every day. We both found the area to be perfect in virtually all respects. All the conveniences of a big city, with outdoor activities just a quick drive out of town, in the midst of great natural beauty. And the people were very nice too. The only downside was that it was 3000 miles away from my wife's family in NJ. (My own family is in MO, which is plenty close enough, thank you.) If I did not live here in CT, I would choose Seattle.

Top 10 places to Retire

Hi,

Binghamton, NY is actually a very nice place and community---despite the violence of a few days ago. The community is a good college town, with excellent and low cost restaurants, community theatres, etc. It's near the Susquehanna River, with ample trails, skiing, etc. Yes, we just love our NY taxes, but...the rest of life there is actually pretty decent.

Piano

This retirement thing is really interesting......we presently live in western CT but will leave as soon as the house sells (never??:)) due to the ridiculous cost of living, mostly taxes. Granted, we have lakefront property, but having compared nicer lakefront properties in places like western Virginia where the taxes are 1/10 of what we pay, it is hard to justify staying here, especially since we have no family ties. All in all, retirement is a time when most people have to consider total cost as the major factor, and there are so many nice, inexpensive places that it is truly a matter of taste, IMHO.

This retirement thing is really interesting......we presently live in western CT but will leave as soon as the house sells (never??:)) due to the ridiculous cost of living, mostly taxes. Granted, we have lakefront property, but having compared nicer lakefront properties in places like western Virginia where the taxes are 1/10 of what we pay, it is hard to justify staying here, especially since we have no family ties. All in all, retirement is a time when most people have to consider total cost as the major factor, and there are so many nice, inexpensive places that it is truly a matter of taste, IMHO.

That is precisely why we will leave California.

That is precisely why we will leave California.

One thing I rarely see mentioned about moving to cheaper place vs. staying put is easy interaction with you kids/grandkids. When I was young and living in LA a had an uncle there who was going all out to create a situation where he could stay in SoCal, where all his kids would grow up there, go to UCLA or Berkeley, and ideally marry and make job connections locally. He thought about this as carefully as many of us think about retirement. He never wanted to leave LA because it had everything, and great opportunities for young people.

I was pretty impressed, as it always seemed to me nuts to send your kids off somewhere to university, since so often their life connections will be made near to their school.

He eventually retired, and of his 5 children 4 stayed in the western part of LA, and one daughter married and settled in the Bay Area, so his plan worked.

I feel very fortunate that both my sons live within 4 miles or less of me, and within 5 miles of one another.

Ha

One thing I rarely see mentioned about moving to cheaper place vs. staying put is easy interaction with you kids/grandkids. When I was young and living in LA a had an uncle there who was going all out to create a situation where he could stay in SoCal, where all his kids would grow up there, go to UCLA or Berkeley, and ideally marry and make job connections locally. He thought about this as carefully as many of us think about retirement. He never wanted to leave LA because it had everything, and great opportunities for young people.

I was pretty impressed, as it always seemed to me nuts to send your kids off somewhere to university, since so often their life connections will be made near to their school.

He eventually retired, and of his 5 children 4 stayed in the western part of LA, and one daughter married and settled in the Bay Area, so his plan worked.

I feel very fortunate that both my sons live within 4 miles or less of me, and within 5 miles of one another.

Ha

Oh I agree. My DW and I have no children. Our relatives live in Conn,Ohio and Texas. Without a doubt If I had children or grandchildren I might think differently. I happen to enjoy Texas even with the Ebola and fire ants ;) We enjoy travelling so it makes sense for us to conserve some money by moving from California to a cheaper COL area. To each his own whatever may work for you.

It's great if your children & grandchildren live in a place you like . My daughter & son in law moved from Boston ( I love Boston & could happily live there ) to Lakewood , Ny ( talk about the boonies I'd go into retail withdrawal quickly , plus it snows and snows ). So for now I just have to make lots of trips until the day comes when I'll have to move closer to my daughter .

It seems that the people who make these lists don't do any field work. If you want a fine place to live, I humbly suggest my fair state of Connecticut. I live in a picturesque old New England town (you know, with the big white church on the maple-lined village green), on Long Island Sound and a relatively short train ride to the big city (NYC) for excitement. It is, however, far from cheap.

Minus the Long Island Sound, my favorite picturesque town is Middlebury, Vermont. Wanted to move there but was nixed by DW. Too far north for her likes.

We both found the area to be perfect in virtually all respects. All the conveniences of a big city, with outdoor activities just a quick drive out of town, in the midst of great natural beauty. And the people were very nice too. The only downside was that it was 3000 miles away from my wife's family in NJ. (My own family is in MO, which is plenty close enough, thank you.) If I did not live here in CT, I would choose Seattle.

I understand what you are saying, The only thing we lack is is warm saltwater to swim in. But that counts against us in my opinion. In CT I rented a beach house with some other guys in Woodmont, about a block and a half from the Sound. Not an awe-inspiring beach, but plenty good enough.

Ha

I understand what you are saying, The only thing we lack is is warm saltwater to swim in. But that counts against us in my opinion. In CT I rented a beach house with some other guys in Woodmont, about a block and a half from the Sound. Not an awe-inspiring beach, but plenty good enough.

Ha
We lived in Woodmont, at the corner of Hawley Ave and Belmont St., for three years while I was attending law school. You're right about the beach.

Uh-oh, my parents lived in 4 of those 10 cities. I've lived in 3 of the 10.

Uh-oh, my parents lived in 4 of those 10 cities. I've lived in 3 of the 10.

I'm not sure I would admit that! :2funny: Not that there is anything wrong with those cities, but none have an excessively glamourous reputation.

Hi,

Binghamton, NY is actually a very nice place and community---despite the violence of a few days ago. The community is a good college town, with excellent and low cost restaurants, community theatres, etc. It's near the Susquehanna River, with ample trails, skiing, etc. Yes, we just love our NY taxes, but...the rest of life there is actually pretty decent.

Piano
I spent my senior year at college in Binghamton. I was there recently for a visit to a friend's house in Vestal. While she was at w*rk, I drove around downtown Binghamton and was shocked at the urban decay :(, especially near Front St and what used to be a beautiful well kept up downtown area. Let's just say I locked my doors and got out of there quickly. Surrounding towns were still nice and more developed as far as retail stores and businesses.

The mention of kids and grandkids does merit some further comment. Since we have a son and grandson in MD and a daughter and 2 grandsons in OH, extended family in Indiana and Missouri, and we want to travel a lot, we are going to RV it full time for a couple years so we can go anywhere anytime for minimal cost!! Of course, this means we will be nomads for a while, but hey, we'll settle down eventually, and meanwhile we will have had the chance to explore all kinds of potential retirement locations where we can buy a residence and be pretty certain that we have made a good choice. Yes, you do have to give up having a largish home for a while, but we think this will be ideal for us. Now to sell the present home......working on it and are optimistic....:)

Back
Top Bottom