10 things that changed after ER

I can relate to most of these and would add that I now rarely set an alarm clock and thus get enough sleep most nights. Perhaps not a surprise but still something I appreciate.

In the last ten years since I retired, I've set an alarm clock probably about 3 times, and that was several years ago. I don't even know where the alarm clock is anymore. I go to sleep at night when I'm tired, and wake up once I'm rested. I normally hit the pillows about 1:00 a.m., and wake up somewhere around 8:00 a.m.

And I have not worn a watch since the day I retired, because I'm no longer a slave to time. About the only exceptions to that slave thing are doctors appointments and blood drives. My visits with the Doc are always his first appointment of the day, and he and I usually arrive at his office at the same time, and he gets me in and out before his office is officially open for the day. Of course, it also helps being friends and neighbors.....and I let him raid my veggie gardens. And I always schedule my appointments at blood drives for mid-afternoon...right after lunch and Bonanza!

Most of them were true for me, but not surprises. I have always loved casual clothes!

And I have not worn a watch since the day I retired, because I'm no longer a slave to time. About the only exceptions to that slave thing are doctors appointments and blood drives.
Likewise my watch retired shortly after I retired. Do have clocks around, a couple that even chime (were my parents) that one does have to wind. When driving of course the car has a clock. On my new car I was surprised when I crossed a time zone boundry and the clock reset itself to the new time (it also does that on daylight saving time day)

Nobody has ever tried to get me a job. I think the ear to ear grin on my face makes it pretty clear that I'm extremely happy and non-stressed and don't want to (or need to) work anymore.

And I've definitely not become a morning person ! I linger in bed until 10am unless I have something specific that I want to do. Staying in bed in the morning is a new luxury which I am thoroughly enjoying. Eventually I think I will start getting out of bed early to linger with my coffee as the sun rises and the birds start foraging ... eventually :)

Likewise my watch retired shortly after I retired. Do have clocks around, a couple that even chime (were my parents) that one does have to wind. When driving of course the car has a clock. On my new car I was surprised when I crossed a time zone boundry and the clock reset itself to the new time (it also does that on daylight saving time day)

I had to get a watch with the day on it, so I'd know what day it was.... as everyday is a retired day. :dance:

Gee guys, I don't mean to sound crude but no one has mentioned sex.

We have more time for love in the mornings or afternoons these days. It's like being on holidays all the time.

We used to do it in the morning as a day starter before getting ready for w*rk. Now we have a leisurely afternoon delight!

I wore my water resistant Ironman Triathalon Timex watch 24 hours/day when I was working and for the first 7 years of my retirement. Then it broke! Oh no.

But I had read here about how so many retired people do not wear a watch, so I did not buy another. So far, so good. I have clocks around, and the only time I miss my watch is in the bathroom when I am showering. I think it would probably be a little silly to put a clock in the bathroom, though. :) So instead I am adjusting.

I find that just because I no longer w*rk, doesn't mean I don't need a watch. There are lots of things to do that I need to keep track of time for. Still, a cheap watch is all I need for that. YMMV

I didn't wear a watch when I was working. Now I do. But mainly for keeping track of hikes, bike rides, runs, kayaking, and the occasional phone call or text. Rarely use it to see what time it is.

Here is his list of ten things that changed after ER:

1. Mondays became the best day of the week.
2. My colleagues can't accept that I'm retired.
3. I'm busier than ever.
4. I'm in the best physical shape of my life.
5. I've gotten very comfortable wearing casual clothes.
6. My family relationships are much better.
7. I'm learning and growing more than ever.
8. I can't go back to work anymore.
9. The stress is gone.
10. I've turned into a morning person.

Thx OP & thx W2R for typing the list. :)

1. Mondays are not the best but, I don't have 'Sunday afternoon anxiety' anymore.
2. I think they accept it but, with some puzzlement & curiosity, and maybe a little envy.
3. I'm busy but, not busier than ever.
4. I'm in better shape than my last decade of working but, certainly not in the best shape of my life. I can no longer run sub-3hr marathons or sub-4.5hr half Iron Mans, and haven't been able to for quite some time.
5. Absolutely love casual clothes! I'm working my way toward Tony Soprano's wardrobe. ;)
6. My family relationships are better. No kids so, primarily with DW, and also lots more time connecting with more distant family and longtime friends.
7. I'm learning & growing in new ways but, probably not 'more than ever.'
8. True...I can't "go back" to work. But, I can do a bit of consulting now & then, which I enjoy. (Related to this in the article, I got lots of offers for full-time jobs in the 2 yrs immediately after FIRE, which is normal in my field. I think it was a mixture of corporate need & testing to see how serious I was about FIRE. But, after saying "No" several times, the offers are now few & far between.)
9. Very true! The stress is gone.
10. I've always been a morning person. Wake up 5-6am every morning without an alarm.

We usually go to the gym when it opens. Others, more wedded to strict schedules, twit us if we happen to wander in a half hour or so "late." I think they must have no sex life!

We used to do it in the morning as a day starter before getting ready for w*rk. Now we have a leisurely afternoon delight!

Why wear a watch when you've got the 21st century version of a pocket watch: a smartphone? :D

Why wear a watch when you've got the 21st century version of a pocket watch: a smartphone? :D

That seems awfully retro! My Granddad used to make a big production out of pulling his pocket watch out of his vest pocket to check the time. Personally, when I take my phone out of my pocket (don't have a smart phone - just a dumb one) it's not to check the time (I've got an $8 wrist watch for that.) :cool:

+1. I've not quite retired yet (less than 4 weeks!), but I've not worn a watch since at least 2008.... (didn't get my first smart phone until 2011 or so though).

Interesting Thread, want to follow.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom