Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2022, 09:20 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
I know this comment might be all “Retirement Police”, which is distasteful and which I’ve pushed back on before in the Forum, but I think this blog author ought to say he’s “semi-retired” or that he changed careers or works part time, etc. That blog generates a significant share of the family’s income In 2020, it was$35,000 toward adjusted gross income of $102,000 https://www.gocurrycracker.com/go-cu...er-2020-taxes/ ) and he works hard at it, posting 2-4 times per month, unlike a lot of the FIRE bloggers who essentially stop posting after 3 years or so...

Posting 2-4 times per month? I think this guy spends much less time writing his posts than I do selling covered call options. I spend more than 2-3 hours/day when the market goes banana, like today, but of course I make more than $35k/year.

I guess I am not retired anymore with active investing. But I make more money than when I worked a regular job,, and with less time and pressure, so I don't care what anyone calls it. I just call it "having fun making money".

PS. Heck, I just realized that this guy spends less, much less time, maintaining his blog than I spend posting here!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2022, 04:17 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’m approaching my ten year retirement anniversary, which will be March 29 next year. I was decompressed as I walked out the door after turning in my laptop and badge. Decompressing began three months earlier when I gave my notice.

I never get bored. Never have. I just don’t feel like I have to be doing something all the time. My mind finds ways to keep occupied or I daydream about something.

My main concern since retirement has been my health, having had chronic pain issues since 2006, plus finding I have arteriosclerosis and now something wrong in my GI tract. The first few years of retirement I wasn’t very limited in activity, but the past couple of years it’s taken it’s toll. Life is slowing down.

The greatest adventure of retirement has been three grandkids! What a blessing they are! They live close by, so we see them regularly and they tire us out.

Money has not been a worry for us and it has allowed us to help the kids and other family when needed. I used to be more active with our investments, but this year have moved most of our funds into simpler index ETFs so I don’t have to pay as much attention to them. We still have individual stocks in our taxable brokerage, but they’re core holding type companies.

Retirement has not given me any regrets. Just enjoying life until the next chapter comes along.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 07:02 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
I know this comment might be all “Retirement Police”, which is distasteful and which I’ve pushed back on before in the Forum, but I think this blog author ought to say he’s “semi-retired” or that he changed careers or works part time, etc.
I've come across their blog a few times but don't read it regularly.

I think my view has evolved in that I'm trying not to focus on the way people term themselves as retired, semi-retired, or FIRE'd, or whatever. What's more of interest to me is what tools, techniques, and methods they are using to achieve their goals and lifestyle and whether it might be worth it for me to maybe borrow and apply some of the concepts. Also key is that they be honest and somewhat transparent with no hidden agenda.

The arguments about whether you are retired if you are generating side income is such a slippery slope. I occasionally do these 5 minute surveys that generate 50 cents or 25 frequent flyer points. Does that mean I'm not retired? When I put effort into activities that reduce my spend, does that count? It goes back to my point of beyond a polite "that's interesting" no one really cares if you retired earlier or whatever unless there's impact to their own lives. "Oh, you're semi-retired while generating $35k a year writing 2-4 blog posts a month? That's nice."
Old 10-23-2022, 12:23 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Nice blog - thanks for posting. I was decompressed before I retired. And I honed my retirement pastimes before I fully retired. I have never been bored in 8.5 years of retirement.

But I may have taken on too many retirement activities lately. I don't have time to do everything that I want to. Perhaps I need to heed #10 in the blog. Just let it go.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote