Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations on a well-spent retirement! Thanks for being an inspiration.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2019, 01:46 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Love your story, Souschef! Congratulations on a life and retirement well-lived, and enjoy the next 10!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:19 AM   #23

Very cool stuff! We are travelling a lot as well.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #24

Great story!! Congrats on the second love in your life. I suspect the 10 years would not have been the same without meeting someone to share it with.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #25

Thanks for sharing your story. I too retired 10 years ago but still had kids in school and DW still worked so nothing like your retirement. Now that the kids are gone, I hope the next 10 will be more like yours.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the report

I am looking forward to making 10 year retired
But I have to retire first
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #27

Inspiring to us young folks! Only 13 more years and we are onto the new phase of college kids, ER and the weddings and home purchases beyond into our 60s.

Hope to travel and stay active like you! Have fun, thanks for sharing.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:15 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Two wonderful flying organizations you belong to! Keep the blue side up.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Two years later
Old 01-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #29

Two years later

12 YEARS RETIRED
This is my 12th anniversary of being retired, and a whole lot has changed. Our traveling has been cut way back, as we can no longer tolerate those 10 hour transatlantic flights, even in Business Class. Our travel has been limited to a Hawaiian cruise and an Alaskan cruise, both round trip from LA-no airports
Since my copilot has been grounded because of his Parkinson’s, I am no longer flying, as I do not feel comfortable flying alone at my age. Remember-there are old pilots, and bold pilots, but NO old bold pilots.
This past year has been very stressful for us, as for everyone because of the Covid virus. My wife developed Atrial Fibrillation, and had a pacemaker inserted. Fortunately this was done before this past March.
I am still volunteering at the local hospice repairing their wheelchairs, walkers, and other medical equipment.
Because of the changes in the tax laws, many fewer seniors and low income people need help, and I have stopped volunteering to do tax preparation.
I am still trying to get the 1941 switch engine running, and will need some help from others in our RR society.
With the advent of the vaccine, I hope this year will move to some semblance of normality
I have to thank my parents, who lived to be 93 and 102 for giving me the genes that keep me going. I am blessed with good health and hope to celebrate many more anniversaries with my wife.

Life is good!
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:40 PM   #30

There will always be change in our life and being able to adapt is key. You have had another 2 great years in retirement and I wish you many more. Thanks again for your story after 12 years.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:46 AM   #31

We are at the point where we won't do transatlantic in coach anymore, but are upgrading to business.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:19 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nice post Souschef. One of my favorite posters.
Old 01-05-2021, 07:29 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats and here's to yours and your brides health in 2021!
finnski1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:26 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! Have you flown in pods? We did a 12 hour flight early this year on a 787 Dreamliner in pods and it was the best experience we've ever had on a long flight. I am 6'3" and found the seat converted to a bed extremely comfortable. The giant flatscreen and lots of new release movies combined with noise cancelling headphones made me feel like I was just chilling at home. Expensive but we will do it again for any flight over 8 hours.
Sittinginthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:19 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittinginthesun View Post
Congrats! Have you flown in pods? We did a 12 hour flight early this year on a 787 Dreamliner in pods and it was the best experience we've ever had on a long flight. I am 6'3" and found the seat converted to a bed extremely comfortable. The giant flatscreen and lots of new release movies combined with noise cancelling headphones made me feel like I was just chilling at home. Expensive but we will do it again for any flight over 8 hours.
I've only accidentally ever flown other than coach. I had a close friend who "died" on a long coach trip - IIRC due to DVT that traveled to her heart. But her husband who is a doctor brought her back and kept her alive for a couple of hours with CPR until they could land. A couple of years later, they were desperate to travel, but she could not afford the "pod" fare. DW and I donated enough to be sure she could go with her husband.

I mention this only to suggest we ALL should spend our money on "pods" or whatever gives us the most value (whether that be comfort, safety, pure enjoyment, etc.) We are NOT taking it with us.

Now, will I follow my own advice this year and at least fly business (assuming we get to travel)? I'll let you know. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittinginthesun View Post
We are only flying Business Class for long flights. When we were flying on British Airways out of LA, we went to the airport early to take advantage of their lounge.
They offer beer, wine, and soda, and a light buffet. Plus it gets you out of the geck and gull of the main airport.
I have attached a picture of the "pod"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Busclass.jpg (149.9 KB, 45 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:46 PM   #37

Congrats on 12 years.
Always enjoy your posts.