10 years retired

Inspiring to us young folks! Only 13 more years and we are onto the new phase of college kids, ER and the weddings and home purchases beyond into our 60s.

Hope to travel and stay active like you! Have fun, thanks for sharing.

Two wonderful flying organizations you belong to! Keep the blue side up.

Two years later

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]12 YEARS RETIRED[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is my 12th anniversary of being retired, and a whole lot has changed. Our traveling has been cut way back, as we can no longer tolerate those 10 hour transatlantic flights, even in Business Class. Our travel has been limited to a Hawaiian cruise and an Alaskan cruise, both round trip from LA-no airports[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Since my copilot has been grounded because of his Parkinson’s, I am no longer flying, as I do not feel comfortable flying alone at my age. Remember-there are old pilots, and bold pilots, but NO old bold pilots.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This past year has been very stressful for us, as for everyone because of the Covid virus. My wife developed Atrial Fibrillation, and had a pacemaker inserted. Fortunately this was done before this past March.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am still volunteering at the local hospice repairing their wheelchairs, walkers, and other medical equipment.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Because of the changes in the tax laws, many fewer seniors and low income people need help, and I have stopped volunteering to do tax preparation.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am still trying to get the 1941 switch engine running, and will need some help from others in our RR society.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With the advent of the vaccine, I hope this year will move to some semblance of normality[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have to thank my parents, who lived to be 93 and 102 for giving me the genes that keep me going. I am blessed with good health and hope to celebrate many more anniversaries with my wife.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Life is good![/FONT]

There will always be change in our life and being able to adapt is key. You have had another 2 great years in retirement and I wish you many more. Thanks again for your story after 12 years.

We are at the point where we won't do transatlantic in coach anymore, but are upgrading to business.

Nice post Souschef. One of my favorite posters.

Congrats and here's to yours and your brides health in 2021!

Congrats! Have you flown in pods? We did a 12 hour flight early this year on a 787 Dreamliner in pods and it was the best experience we've ever had on a long flight. I am 6'3" and found the seat converted to a bed extremely comfortable. The giant flatscreen and lots of new release movies combined with noise cancelling headphones made me feel like I was just chilling at home. Expensive but we will do it again for any flight over 8 hours.

Congrats! Have you flown in pods? We did a 12 hour flight early this year on a 787 Dreamliner in pods and it was the best experience we've ever had on a long flight. I am 6'3" and found the seat converted to a bed extremely comfortable. The giant flatscreen and lots of new release movies combined with noise cancelling headphones made me feel like I was just chilling at home. Expensive but we will do it again for any flight over 8 hours.

I've only accidentally ever flown other than coach. I had a close friend who "died" on a long coach trip - IIRC due to DVT that traveled to her heart. But her husband who is a doctor brought her back and kept her alive for a couple of hours with CPR until they could land. A couple of years later, they were desperate to travel, but she could not afford the "pod" fare. DW and I donated enough to be sure she could go with her husband.

I mention this only to suggest we ALL should spend our money on "pods" or whatever gives us the most value (whether that be comfort, safety, pure enjoyment, etc.) We are NOT taking it with us.

Now, will I follow my own advice this year and at least fly business (assuming we get to travel)? I'll let you know.:angel: YMMV

We are only flying Business Class for long flights. When we were flying on British Airways out of LA, we went to the airport early to take advantage of their lounge.
They offer beer, wine, and soda, and a light buffet. Plus it gets you out of the geck and gull of the main airport.
I have attached a picture of the "pod"

Attachments

• Busclass.jpg
    Busclass.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 68
13 YEARS RETIRED
[FONT=&quot]Unfortunately, last year I fell and sustained a compression fracture of a vertebra, It is now a year later and I am not completely healed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One bright note, however, on my 84th birthday recently, I celebrated 50 years since I soloed on my birthday in 1972 by flying up to Santa Barbara and back. I did it with an instructor sitting in the right seat however. He told me to just fly the plane as if he was not there, which I did. It was a beautiful day, and I followed the coastline at 2500 feet, which gave a great view.
[/FONT]

13 YEARS RETIRED
[FONT=&quot]Unfortunately, last year I fell and sustained a compression fracture of a vertebra, It is now a year later and I am not completely healed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]One bright note, however, on my 84th birthday recently, I celebrated 50 years since I soloed on my birthday in 1972 by flying up to Santa Barbara and back. I did it with an instructor sitting in the right seat however. He told me to just fly the plane as if he was not there, which I did. It was a beautiful day, and I followed the coastline at 2500 feet, which gave a great view.
[/FONT]

Beautiful!!! Congrat on number 13 and wish you many more.

13 YEARS RETIRED
[/FONT]

Congrats on your 13 years of retirement and 84th birthday. Reading this thread inspires me to try to live life to the fullest as you've done. Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

Last edited:
I hope you and your wife enjoy many more happy years together.

Only 8 years for me and so good so far! Driving to Colorado in a week to visit my BIL & SIL, be gone for a week. They live up a hill in Durango, I've never been there before.

New Adventures - :)

Only 8 years for me and so good so far! Driving to Colorado in a week to visit my BIL & SIL, be gone for a week. They live up a hill in Durango, I've never been there before.

New Adventures - :)

Durango is a neat town. If you have time, take the Durango and Silverton tourist train. It was a hoot!

13 YEARS RETIRED
[/FONT]

We soloed in the same year! Seems like it was just yesterday. Mine was on Ford Island in Hawaii. Eleven years behind you and still flying a couple times a week.

Wishing you continued healing.

13 YEARS RETIRED
[/FONT]

Did you keep up with flying? I got about 125 hours and quit - marriage is great, but it changes priorities (double for having kids.)

Congrats on 13 years! Hoping your back issues resolve soon. Aloha

Congrats Souchef, and I enjoy your stories as well. Good on you to celebrate your solo.

Wow, time does surely fly! Did the math and realized I retired 13 years ago on the first of July. Hope the next 13 are as relaxing as the last!

Congratulations, Souschef!
I, too, have enjoyed reading your travel adventures.
Best wishes for continued recovery on your fractured vertebrae.

Back
Top Bottom