2 Years FIRE'd

caninelover

Full time employment: Posting here.
Its been awhile since I posted, and technically its been 2 years and 2 months so I'm a bit late posting this update.

ER has been simply amazing. The first year was busy as I married by SO of many years and we took an amazing cruise around the Galapagos. The second year was busy with raising a puppy - we welcomed an 8 week old golden retriever puppy in January 2023. Now that puppy is a nearly grown and wonderfully behaved adult dog and this is the first year I've really relaxed into retirement.

The first two years I still felt the need to be productive and felt time constrained (even though I wasn't). I think it was just all the years of w*rking and meeting deadlines, etc. Now I don't really care if I waste a day or morning doing very little.

I've started dabbling in some volunteer activities. I am a volunteer baker for an organization that provides birthday cakes to at-risk and foster youth. I bake about 2 cakes a month so not too taxing and I get to play around with cake decorating (without having to eat all that sugar!).

I am training our puppy to (hopefully) be a therapy dog so we can volunteer together.

We are planning a trip to Patagonia in November to do the W trek, followed by a 4 day cruise around Tierra del Fuego. We are hiking on the weekends to prepare.

DH is planning to retire in 2 years and after that we plan to buy an RV, take ourselves, our pup, and our two cats on the road for a few months at a time. We did a rental RV in 2020 when our Alaska cruise was cancelled due to the pandemic with our two cats and loved it.

Other than that life is good. I always thought I would try a bunch of new things after I retired but I haven't. Mostly I just enjoy the quiet days when I get to take my pup to the park in the mornings and relax at home the rest of the day - cooking, reading, and just doing whatever.

When I told people I was going to ER at the age of 50 I got many of the typical 'you'll be so bored' responses. Glad I ignored them - one thing I have not felt in 2 years of ER is bored!

Hoping for many more years of good health to enjoy this amazing phase of life :dance:

Congrats. Sounds great so far. We travel with a travel trailer and our 75 lb Collie about 6-8 weeks a year and have a great time. Enjoy your future trips!

Congratulations! Looks like you have been happily busy in your retirement.
Your volunteer baking sounds like a fun thing.

Congratulations! Looks like you have been happily busy in your retirement.
Your volunteer baking sounds like a fun thing.

Like many people, I started baking a lot during the pandemic shutdowns and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately the scale showed how much I enjoyed it (both DH and I put on 10 lbs) so I stopped (and the weight came off, unsurprisingly).

So this is a really fun volunteer gig for me - I get to enjoy baking and decorating without adding to our waistlines!

Sounds great Cainelover. Congratulations on your new family member!

Back
Top Bottom